Author Topic: Anti aliasing problem  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
Anti aliasing problem
Ok. I know that this probably doesen't deerve to be here, BUT I really need help with this! For some weird reason, whenever I turn on my anti aliasing, in some games (most noticably Homeworld) the menus and 2D images get totally messed up. Theres smears, ghosting, weird looking letters, its just funky. Even the mouse leaves  visual artifacts in its wake. This all happens in OpenGL. When I turn it off, all is fine. But I wanna play the games in AA since I got a GF3! It even does it for the movies in FS2! Its weird! HEEELP!  
I have returned... Again...

Offline Fafner

On Voodoo cards you can asign a key (like F12 etc.) to toggle FSAA on and off. This only affects the visual aspect, the performance hit is still there, but its useful to make blurred text readable. I dont know if GF3 has this option, but look around in the display settings.

For me the movies in Freespace is not affected by FSAA, but I know Nvidia uses another method of FSAA than 3dfx, so that may explain it.

vbb survivor with 501 posts, registered november 1999

Yip i got this problem with my GF3, i have to knock off Anti aliasing for Empire Earth cos i get the same prob but i then have to put it back on for FS2 so i don't get the "Jaggies" problem, i have also noticed that it only does this weird effect with Homeworld, empire earth and any other 3d stragey game unlike AVP2 and wolfenstien Anti aliasing is works brillantly on them. so maybe its something to do with the GF3s and i c that GF4s are rumoured to be released in feb.

------------------
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
well, I know from trying to get Freespace working with Elsa's 3D glasses that the FS menus and HUD items are positioned along the Z-Buffer, not just in front. (Z-buffer is the depth of an object from the screen). So it may be that the GF3 messes up when it tries to anti-alias a flat 2d object, like a movie or HUD text, like it were 3d.

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by sandwich:
well, I know from trying to get Freespace working with Elsa's 3D glasses that the FS menus and HUD items are positioned along the Z-Buffer, not just in front. (Z-buffer is the depth of an object from the screen). So it may be that the GF3 messes up when it tries to anti-alias a flat 2d object, like a movie or HUD text, like it were 3d.

I was under the impression that the GeForce implementation of FSAA occurred in memory, after everything had be flattened down to an individual bitmap and just before the actual BLT to framebuffer??

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]