Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 7439 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i have just started playing this and i think it is great but i do have a problem, i am getting massive slowdowns and very low fps, now i have just upgraded my machine to this

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.0GHz
  100GB hard disk
  1024DDR MB Ram
  DirectX 9.0c
  RADEON X800 GTO
  catalyst drivers 6.8

now i would of thought that this would do to play it, even with everything turned down to low i still get slowdowns and i amke sure i turn off all running programs in the back ground ie AVG, zonealarm.  What sort of spec machine do you need to play this game smoothly?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
From what I've heard, Oblivion runs like crap on just about any system. The X19x0 cards run it much better than anything else, but even they struggle quite a bit. I think you have to just put up with it.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Damn, why release a game that runs crap on every system? think i will get the xbox 360 version since it plays quite smoothly on my mates console

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I have Oblivion, and it runs smoothly on mine.  I have an Athlon 64 939-pin 2.0 Ghz (can't remember it's actual number, I think it's Athlon 64 +4000?).  I have two 7600GTs SLI'd, two dual channel 512MB RAM, and I just use the mobo's integrated 5.1 channel audio.  It runs fine with 4Xanti-aliasing.  It chugs at start-up, but comes back up after like 30 seconds of playing.  I'm a TES lore guru so you can ask me questions about it, although the lore in Oblivion is faily lacking in comparison to Morrowind.  Oblivion seems like a watered down version so the masses can understand it.

Note:  I have Oblivion running on fairly high settings.  No system that I know of right now can really run Oblivion smoothly with all of it's settings on the highest possible settings, but if you just set it to normal it already looks better than the sexbox.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I run Oblivion just fine in my laptop, granted it's not on ultra-high setting with a cherry on top but it's about medium-low settings:

my laptop:
Pentium M 760 (2 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
X700 Mobility (128 MB)
100 GB HDD
1 GB DDR2 RAM

and with XP SP2 as the OS.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oblivion was designed to run on next generation cards.

Really deep game, gorgeous graphics, really repetetive gameplay. Auto-levelled enemies and drops sucked.

Bring on Gothic 3 :D

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
oblivion engine sucks.
I hate My signature!

Offline Freespace Freak

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i think its abit poor when it comes to the human faces, compare them to the ones in Dark messiah, got the demo and gothic 3, but the landscapes are beautifull i just wish i could HDR working on my RADEON X800 GTO. i say bring on project offset

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think everyone just has different tolerances with these things. I've seen a lot of people on other forums who are very satisfied with around 30fps averages in this game, but others would find that unacceptable.

oblivion engine sucks.

Yeah, I agree. I don't have the game but from the screenshots I've seen, at its best it looks comparable to Far Cry (which predates it by two years) but runs at about a quarter of the framerate. Unfortunately, this has become the trend for all games during the last year or so. :p
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:38:28 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Freespace Freak

Compared to Morrowind, it is far superior, but it's not the graphics that have made the TES community upset at it, it's the lack of a very involving story and deep lore.  Morrowind's graphics were okay for its day, but what made it great was the story.  Kinda like FS2.  They also have a construction set which is alot like FRED which makes it strangely similar to FS2.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
are you confused?

It's Morrowind that lacked a compeling story, not Oblivion.
In that regard I find Oblivion better.

Of course, they both would benefit from companions, but that's what MOD's are for :D

Which reminds me that my own Oblivion Mod isn't going anywhere fast...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Freespace Freak

I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with you as you know, in the cursed OB General forums of all places.  I was an Oblivion apologist too long, but now I understand the concerns of those who are dissatisfied with Oblivion.  Morrowinds story is not very deep if you don't look deep, but if you do you'll find yourself burried in lore quick.  Go over to The Imperial Library and you can see what I mean.  As a cautionary note, a lot of the lore in Morrowind is allegorial, and what is printed isn't what you think it is.  No, I don't mean propaganda bull****, I'm talking even beyond that.  Vivec's Sermon's, it turns out, seem to replay the creation story or monomyth, in it's own terms.  If you read the monomyth, you'll notice that it lack's the Dunmer's version, well that's in the Sermons, even though it doesn't appear to be a creation story on the surface.  By the way, if you ever venture to official forums, look me up.  I go by the name of Lord Nerevar. 

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I just found the fact that the enemies were always about as tough as you very annoying. Firstly, there's no real feel of challenge or need to advance, and secondly, there's nowhere to go when you want to just strut around being some kind of mobile disaster, which is always fun ;)

I loved the atmosphere of Oblivion, the music went well with the backdrops, and the outside scenes were gorgeous, but it was easy to get lost outside, since it got a bit repetitive sometimes.  I always feel a little bit betrayed that a game which would have been so much fun to spend weeks over took less than 3 days to complete. I did it again and took all the Guild plots and everything, but by then I already knew the end, which sort of ruined the enjoyment. I did get caught up in the story, but it was way way too short.

This is why I plan to get Gothic 3 as soon as funds allow, I'm hoping it will make up for those shortcomings, Gothic 2 was certainly an awesome game :)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
there's tons of mods out for oblivion, even a few that "fix" that 'monsters-level-as-you-do' thing.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pointless to discuss Oblivion performance without mentioning the resolution you're trying to play at.

As for the game...it was fun once through.  The DB quests were a blast, but ultimately it just got repetitive, and it was a little buggy.  Not "WTF?  Did they do ANY quality control at all?" exploit loaded like Morrowind was, but still not real stable.

And you know, for all it's pretty vistas, it really was kind of graphically unimpressive - especially when it came to spells.  Probably would've lasted longed if it's combat was as much fun as say, Mount and Blade's, but it wasn't.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It's pointless to discuss Oblivion performance without mentioning the resolution you're trying to play at.

As for the game...it was fun once through.  The DB quests were a blast, but ultimately it just got repetitive, and it was a little buggy.  Not "WTF?  Did they do ANY quality control at all?" exploit loaded like Morrowind was, but still not real stable.

And you know, for all it's pretty vistas, it really was kind of graphically unimpressive - especially when it came to spells.  Probably would've lasted longed if it's combat was as much fun as say, Mount and Blade's, but it wasn't.

Try the thieves' guild quests, the last one is one hell of a ride!  :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I found Oblivion a pain in the tits, frankly :).  The novelty of slaughtering an orc, stealing their house and housing a gargantuan spoon collection wears off after a while.

Try the thieves' guild quests, the last one is one hell of a ride!  :D

Done em all actually.  The last one if lots of fun.  Just it's only lots of fun the first time.

Offline Inquisitor

360 version runs like butter. If all you want is the core game, with the official (pay for them type) mods, then get that one.
No signature.