Author Topic: DeusEx  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Roanoke

Must have played through this about a dozen times over the years but I recently found, for the first time, that Paul could survive the MIB raid on the appartment. I'd always assumed he wasn't supposed to die and so, other than placing a few LAMs for comedy effect, would just jump straight outta the window.

Ran into the medical section in the MIB facility afterwards and saw him standing there, as apposed to being a corpse, and was like ZOMG! DeusEX teh bugz!. I'd obviously not been paying attention to Deadelus' messages.

Just thought I'd share my discovery with you lot.

On the subject, can anyone remember the website that had all the little tricks (such as usuing LAMs to climb buildings) ?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I discovered this on the second playthrough. Whether he lives or not is entirely dependent on how you exit the hotel. If you go out the window, he dies, and if you leave through the front door, he lives. If you have speed enhancement on maximum at that point, it is possible to just zoom past all the troops and make a dash for the front door immediately when the fighting starts. :D

In that MJ12 surgery ward, he seems to be a little mad at you for some reason, despite the fact that you helped him escape ("I'll slip out on my own!"). I threw my GEP gun on his head a few times for that, which caused him to get scared, open the Karkian chamber doors and run all around the facility with the troops chasing after him and the Karkians.

That site is at http://www.it-he.org.

Well, in general,he lives as long as you don't escape out the window.  If you decide to go all gung ho and the troops cap your ass in the hotel, he still survives. 

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, should have added that dying in there is also a safe option. You go into the next level heavily damaged, but there is a medical bot in one of the detention quarters where you start.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Well, in general,he lives as long as you don't escape out the window.  If you decide to go all gung ho and the troops cap your ass in the hotel, he still survives. 

One time I made it all the way back to battery park without cheating.......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Roanoke

Well getting to battery Park isn't especially hard but it's more interesting to let Anna live so you can do the killswitch thing at UNATCO.

I think he means afterward escaping through the front.  You run into an invincible unescapable Gunter if you make it that far though.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Navarre killed me the first time I played, so I got to use her killphrase. BTW what was it? I remeber Gunthers was "Laputan Machine", but I can't remeber what Navarre had?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's Flatlander Woman.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
It's one of those forced failure things.  The only real difference is that you'll see Paul later on near the end of the game instead of another character (savage?) You go out the window, you fail to save paul.  You go out the front door, you fail to live, but paul makes it through.  I always just opened the door and let the guys just whup my ass out the front door. 

Can you mine the wall right next to the door? When the MIB come in BOOM.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
You can. As you said, BOOM. And the corridor is narrow, so sending a rocket down their throats is also a valid option.
But theres a bunch of heavily armed UNATCO troops down the stairs. Though sending a couple of LAMs down the stairs usually helps. :)
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Next time I play deus ex i'll have to try that.... I need to get undying started... halloween is coming up quick.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Can you mine the wall right next to the door? When the MIB come in BOOM.

You can actually mine the entire hotel (which is not a bad idea, since you lose most of your LAMs in the next level due to a bug in the game). The troops all get spawned when you start talking to Paul, so you see a big explosion right as the conversation starts. The MIBs are invulnerable until the conversation ends and will enter the room prematurely as described on that site, although the troops can die.

The WP rockets also work particularly well there. I usually fire one at the door as the MIBs start to come in and another one into the center of the lobby. That gets rid of most of them.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I love that level...

Yes, this screenshot is 100% legit (aside from using the fly code to take the shot).
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I like how you brought Lebedev along in that. :D

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Yeah, we had a whole Weekend at Bernie's thing going on.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Deus ex is a fun game. I like the intro music piece :nod:

And how'd you get lebedev in that last sshot? I never saw him except on the 747... I didn't kill him, so is he there or something?

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I killed him, then I dragged him along with me through every level after that. DX has no problem with letting the player carry bodies through map transitions.

Offline Roanoke

I'm glad someone else asked that as I wanted to know but didn't wanna ask!

is it possible to add Smuggler to that pile of bodies ?