Author Topic: 3D "real world" scale node map  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Arcanum

:wakka:
(humungo FS2 spoilers, btw)

and for the grand finale:
whopping 3200x2400 lossless png goodness

All canon systems and jump nodes are represented.  A star's color represents its spectral class, and its size roughly indicates its size class: Supergiants are x4, Bright Giants x3, Giants x2, and Subgiants x1.5 the size of Sol, a yellow dwarf.  Fictional systems (Ribos, Ikeya, Laramis, Vasuda) appear in purple and are arbitrarily located except for Vasuda, which is speculatively located at Beta Hydri.

Jump node lines are current as of the end of the FS2 campaign.  Green means open, red means closed, and teal means a Knossos portal.

I might add some non-canon nodes/systems later, and I'm planning to upload the model file once I get some file conversion issues resolved.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: 3D "real world" scale node map
Wow, awesome :D

But you don't really need to worry about showing off FS2 spoilers on the forum. Generally everyone has played the game through at least once. But definitely very, very cool :D

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
lol look at all dem fukken stars

This is a seriously awesome and having access to the model itself would be especially handy.
Now... If it was converted to a .pof, then in conjunction with the cutscene SEXP's, that could be rather interesting....

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
lol look at all dem fukken stars

This is a seriously awesome and having access to the model itself would be especially handy.
Now... If it was converted to a .pof, then in conjunction with the cutscene SEXP's, that could be rather interesting....
:eek2: That... that is the craziest idea I have ever heard. And yet, it sounds awesome.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
Holy crap... the crab nebula far, far away!
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Lol CApella reminds me of the MCP from Tron when it dies  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
hahahahahaha that's so goddamn complicated and illogical it causes headache

pretty cool nevertheless
lol wtf

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
This is completely sweet. Maybe some type of implementation of this nodemap into the real game would be awesome as ****? :) Actually vasuda prime I think does exist, but it's just not called vasuda prime in the real world and has some other name for the star system. Worth doing a search on the forums because i'm pretty sure there was a topic about it.
I can already imagine it, the 3d nodemap in game where you see a little picture of the aquitaine traveling to delta serpentis in a mission breifing, or something else.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think that someone arbitrarily suggested that Vasuda might be called Beta Hydri, hypothetically.  That name kinda stuck, even though there is no evidence of what system it really is.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
One thing: if the "nebula beyond Gamma Draconis" was a known nebula, it'd be named that.

Also for Tau Sigma- Sigma isn't necessarily a constellation seen from Earth ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Also for Tau Sigma- Sigma isn't necessarily a constellation seen from Earth ;)

...thus it is fictional and unrecognizable. No one has proposed anything else.

Of course, there's actually a worse logical consistency in that name than Sigma not being a (known) constellation. In this particular naming system, a star's name consists of a Greek letter and the Latin genetive form of the constellation where the star is. The greek letter is usually defined so that Alpha is the brightest visible star of particular constellation, beta is next brightest and so forth. It's the still often used Bayer designation of stars.

The trouble is that Sigma is one of Greek letters as well as Tau. Tau is the 19th letter, and Sigma is 18th. Obviously it could mean that star can be found by number "1819" being it's designation - but where? There are *many* number-based star catalogues.

Anyway, IF "Sigma" was a constellation seen from eg. Beta Aquilae, the Bayer designation of the star would then be "Tau Sigmae"...

Bahh. Useless speculation. We don't know what star it is and that's it. Of course we can try and deduct where Tau Sigma could be. For example, It could be triangulated (inaccurately) to between Altair, Tania Australis and Phi Eridani... but the trouble is, subspace nodes are not the shortest way from A to B in real space, if you see my meaning. Same goes to Vasuda: It could be guesstimated to be somewhere between Antares, Alpha Centauri and Deneb. But as we know, the nodes are criss-crossing each other *badly* especially in core of the GTVA space, so this kind of designation is by no means reliable - but it is just one way to deduct locations of imaginary stars. There are other ways too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 01:26:44 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Fragrag

You know, all this astronomy is just whooshing past my head.
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Of course we can try and deduct where Tau Sigma could[/] be. For example, It could be triangulated (inaccurately) to between Altair, Tania Australis and Phi Eridani... but the trouble is, subspace nodes are not the shortest way from A to B in real space, if you see my meaning. Same goes to Vasuda: It could be guesstimated to be somewhere between Antares, Alpha Centauri and Deneb. But as we know, the nodes are criss-crossing each other *badly* especially in core of the GTVA space, so this kind of designation is by no means reliable - but it is just one way to deduct locations of imaginary stars. There are other ways too.
Seems somebody forgot the "i" in [/i].
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
The Ikeya system? So that's where all that knockdown/flatpack furniture comes from... ;) (Yes, I know the company name is Ikea, but still...)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart