Author Topic: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.  (Read 26359 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.
Worth a laugh.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700

Ok, here's a new one: with Sony's announcements today they've issued a titled "Next-generation Console Comparison Fact Sheet," (downloadable here [DOC]) so let's see some facts. First up, were you aware that to use your Xbox 360 Core system you're required to buy the 20GB drive add-on, an HD DVD drive, a wireless controller, and an Xbox Live sub? We weren't either. But hey, it says right there, "requires users to buy" and this is, in fact, a "fact sheet." Of course, none of that's actually true, and what's more, were one to use the Xbox 360 Premium console pack in that chart instead of the Core pack, the total would be $399 for a console with that very same hard drive, wireless controller, and Xbox Live Silver subscription (which provides access to everything but multiplayer) -- remember, kids, an HD DVD drive is not required to do anything but watch high def movies -- it has nothing to do with high def gaming. We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action, namely because it could be misleading to otherwise unwitting retail employees selling customers game consoles this holiday season. Go figure.

P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.

P.P.S. -We just confirmed with Microsoft that another Sony claim -- that you need a memory unit or a hard drive to use the WiFi adapter -- is also false. You can grab a Core pack with no memory card and plug in a WiFi adapter and get on your home network. Sheez Sony, did we mention we moonlight as fact checkers?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.
It's almost as if Sony is trying to make this console generation harder for themselves.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Oh yeah, the first 500,000 PS3s will come with Talladega Nights on Blu-Ray. Too bad that both SKUs only include COMPOSITE. No component. Seriously, wth Sony? You try to promote Blu-Ray to the masses with THIS crap?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
'sorry, but find a pc that can play a whole library of new games for years to come for only $500 or $600...now just go on, yeah...didn't think it was so easy, it's actually impossible without upgrading the graphics card about every year and a half'

I felt so moved by that quote I had to respond.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
That stevo bloke is hilarious. His response to everything is "Ha ha Fanboy" and then he goes and sucks some more MS cock. I mean, I thought you were pretty bad deepblue but...wow.

Honestly, you people.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Welcome to the internet.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
That stevo bloke is hilarious. His response to everything is "Ha ha Fanboy" and then he goes and sucks some more MS cock. I mean, I thought you were pretty bad deepblue but...wow.

Honestly, you people.

Yin and Yang; ridiculous Sony Pr bull**** presented with a sheen of MS PR bull****.  This is quite a big reason why I don't intend to buy stuff from either company.  That, and the lack of any sort of interesting games.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Now, now, i'm going to have to disagree with you there. Granted, Halo 3 and MGS3 aren't exactly Zelda titles, but they're still pretty damn interesting. Hell, the former was the entire reason for my purchasing a 360.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Now, now, i'm going to have to disagree with you there. Granted, Halo 3 and MGS3 aren't exactly Zelda titles, but they're still pretty damn interesting. Hell, the former was the entire reason for my purchasing a 360.

Umm.... a) Neither are out and b) come on, they've not exactly shown anything new and exciting, have they?  Halo 3 is a straight up shooter, and MGS3...well, I don't give a monkeys about whatsoever.

Fair enough if you like them.  I'm just saying, nothing on the 360 or (especially, as it's not even out...) PS3 interests me, personally, enough to buy it at the moment.  About the closest thing was Dead Rising, but even then it's not really enough to wet my tongue.  Whereas the Wii, which I'll admit to being rather the embarassing fanboy about justnow, does look very interesting to me because it's new.

It's like, um, playing Mario Hoops on the DS (FYI; a basketball game using stylus to control shots - like you tap down to bounce the ball when dribbling, stroke up to shoot, down to steal, etc) - far more interesting than regular basketball, which is a sport I normally couldn't give a damn about.  Unfortunately, Mario Hoops is also infuriatingly aggravating as you're playing against ninja athletes, the camera angles are pretty dodgy, there are some stupid design decisions (like no auto-switching to the player closest to the ball) and it's incredibly finicky to play for a left hander, but the principle is sound :)

Er...where was I?  Oh, yeah.  Anyways, I'd play the likes of Pro Evo with a normal controller. And probably racing games or maybe GTA.  But FPS, other types of sports games like baseball, bore the hell out of me with a normal joypad (and I seem to be the only person in the world who finds both the PS2-soon-to-be-rumble-free-on-PS3 and 360 joypads utterly ****, and moreso the latter), so I'm not interested in these 'flagship titles' like Halo 3, etc, whereas something like Red Steel does interest me :)

Which is probably going wholly off-topic when really all I wanted to do is slag off Sony PR pish and Deepblues' amusingly rabid fanboyism (being ramped up in advance for a heavy christmas campaign?) in response to something we'd all probably have never seen and certainly never took seriously.  I digress :D

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Oh yeah, the first 500,000 PS3s will come with Talladega Nights on Blu-Ray. Too bad that both SKUs only include COMPOSITE. No component. Seriously, wth Sony? You try to promote Blu-Ray to the masses with THIS crap?

maybe sony's colorblind?

i mean, Composite = Yellow, Red, White
Component, Green, Blue, red
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Umm.... a) Neither are out
You made a decidedly obvious blanket statement in your previous post, so I would ill-advise tacking on conditions to your generalisations after the fact.

and b) come on, they've not exactly shown anything new and exciting, have they?  Halo 3 is a straight up shooter, and MGS3...well, I don't give a monkeys about whatsoever.
The term 'interesting' is slightly ambiguous and subjective to begin with, but I would still conclude that the flagship games of both consoles should at least earn that humble title.

Fair enough if you like them.  I'm just saying, nothing on the 360 or (especially, as it's not even out...) PS3 interests me, personally, enough to buy it at the moment.
I'm not really fond of them either. Never played an MGS title, and the only reason i'm as interested as I am in Halo 3 is the both the good sci-fi story [a rarity these days], and the orgasmically excellent music that will surely accompany it if the E3 trailer is any indication.

Whereas the Wii, which I'll admit to being rather the embarassing fanboy about justnow, does look very interesting to me because it's new.
Believe me when I say we all know about your fanboi-ism. Granted, you don't make threads every other week about the Wii, but you do make sure to mention your feelings every time the subject of console gaming comes up. :rolleyes:

I like to think of you as 'bizzaro DeepBlue'.

Which is probably going wholly off-topic when really all I wanted to do is slag off Sony PR pish and Deepblues' amusingly rabid fanboyism (being ramped up in advance for a heavy christmas campaign?).
Now that's just not fair. Three posts providing information and a joke hardly constitutes 'rabid fanboyism', moreso the fact that he's no longer making spamalicious threads pimping a single 360 screenshot every week as he once did. I dare say that calling the 'fanboi' card on DB has become somewhat obnoxious, and I would expect better from the likes of you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:28:09 am by Mefustae »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm not really fond of them either. Never played an MGS title, and the only reason i'm as interested as I am in Halo 3 is the both the good sci-fi story [a rarity these days], and the orgasmically excellent music that will surely accompany it if the E3 trailer is any indication.

Well, I simply don't agree (the Halo theme tune is quite good, though, but I'm not that much a fan of the rest of the music from the 1st).  Like I said, personal opinion; I'm not excited by either in the slightest.

Believe me when I say we all know about your fanboi-ism. Granted, you don't make threads every other week about the Wii, but you do make sure to mention your feelings every time the subject of console gaming comes up. :rolleyes:

I like to think of you as 'bizzaro DeepBlue'.

Hey, I'm honest about my enthusiasm.  Ask me about Rangers vs Livorno last night and you'd get the same type of responses.

Now that's just not fair. Three posts providing information and a joke hardly constitutes 'rabid fanboyism', moreso the fact that he's no longer making spamalicious threads pimping a single 360 screenshot every week as he once did. I dare say that calling the 'fanboi' card on DB has become somewhat obnoxious, and I would expect better from the likes of you.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I don't even understand that, let alone think it's blatant fanboi-ism.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I always find threads about fanboism amazing on a Board almost totally dedicated to a 5-year old game that stopped being mass produced years ago...... ;)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Composite = SD.

Component = HD.

Alot of Joe Smoes are not going to be happy when their new PS3 doesn't play in HD out of the box.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
People need to leaarn, Ignorance is no excuse :)
I worked for DSG and people asked the most stupid questions,

*true story*
Over peak season, a young enough couple (early 20's -council estate like my good self,) with a sprog in tow, approached me carrying an HP inkjet printer.

HIM
"scuse' me moosh, will' dis ere get me on that intah-nett (phonetic)"
HER
"its got buttons on front of it mark"
HIM
"So squire, 30 nicker, is this the business, will i get free movies of the intah-net?"
ME-
What are you on about, ? Its a printer mate,. . . . . . . . It prints.
HIM,
"you avin a laugh?
ME-
Seriously, do you see a screen or a keyboard on the fron of that box?
HER
"Thats a good point, we dont see no buttons....Oh"
HIM,
Nah,....but i thought,-
ME-
How about we put that back on the shelf, and you come with me........
HIM,
"thats alright mate, we dont wanna spend more than £50 quid to get hooked up on this net thing."
ME-
£50? mate you need to come back in 10 years..............
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Fair point.  Rather than the de-riguer tactic of just ducking out the thread, I'd like to apologise to Deepblue and offer the excuse that I a) went to be late last night and b) have only just had coffee. 

I'm still not interested in MGS or Halo 3, though.

Composite = SD.

Component = HD.

Alot of Joe Smoes are not going to be happy when their new PS3 doesn't play in HD out of the box.

A lot of people don't realise you need an HD TV for HD anyways, so it probably won't lead to that much of a furore (just mild whimpering).  Albeit HD penetration is only, what, 20% in the US and lower in europe, so I'm not sure how many people know the difference.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté

Fair point.  Rather than the de-riguer tactic of just ducking out the thread, I'd like to apologise to Deepblue and offer the excuse that I a) went to be late last night and b) have only just had coffee. 

I'm still not interested in MGS or Halo 3, though.

Composite = SD.

Component = HD.

A lot of people don't realise you need an HD TV for HD anyways, so it probably won't lead to that much of a furore (just mild whimpering).  Albeit HD penetration is only, what, 20% in the US and lower in europe, so I'm not sure how many people know the difference.

there's a lot of people out there with cheapass SD TV's out there... at least microsoft played it smart and used a cable that does both HD and SD..

as for the latest installments in the MGS and Halo series, they're not even out yet, and aside from trailers and a bit of eyecandy, failed to impress me. i'll still get halo 3, mind you, but there's other perfectly legit games out there that seek to grab people's attention Gears of War, Bioshock, Mass effect, just to name a few coming to the 360..

The nintendo wii has sold itself, mind you,

the PS3's array of launch titles have failed to impress me, really, the really impressive ones won't be released soon enough for anybody to warrent forking over such an amount of cash..

folks, Console Fanboi-ism is rather stupid(not directing at anybody in particular) , to be honest, it's quite counter-productive, without the games, a console is just an expensive waste of space.

Oh!, and before i forget, a $600 USD PC's backwards compatability?... with the right software... well it, let's just say.. "nibbles", anyone? :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
The fact here wasn't that you need those things to run the consoles, it's that the 360 is a piece of **** if it doesn't have all the additional crap to make it rival the PS3.

Sure, you don't NEED the 20gig hard drive, and you don't NEED the HD-DVD drive, but the fact doesn't change that, movie quality aside, using the new formats for storage capacity (just as Microsoft's own Flight Simulator X comes on TWO DVD drives - the format storage discussion ending right then and there) loosens the boundaries games are constrained by.

The Xbox360's core system is a joke that everyone got a laugh on in (really, who the **** owns that one?), and the Premium is so hot they're already scrambling to create a 100gb hard drive, because the current one can't compete with Sony's 60gb one.

There's a reason why Microsoft is already doing R&D for the next Xbox console. This one, now with the advent of Wii and PS3 on the horizon, looks like ugly trash. And it's not like they're not smart to do it really, somehow they managed to **** themselves in the ass and go against their prime directive. We all know the Xbox as a platform, is only meant to take consumers' money away from Sony and Nintendo so that they wouldn't have a monopoly on console, or should we call it "non-PC" gaming, so it really doesn't matter if the company takes a dive on the platform profits, as long as that money doesn't go into Sony's and Nintendo's profit margin.

Bottom line - if you don't spend more than $600 on your Xbox, you do not compete in the "next-gen" category. You're left with a white piece of **** that's just simply likely to overheat. PS3 may have its fair share of problems, but no matter how much the paid off news sites are trying to suck MS' cock, facts are facts. Xbox isn't worth any money whatsoever, unless you're a Halo fan. The end. Every other game will be available to be played on the PC anyway. Actually, Halo included probably.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
The fact here wasn't that you need those things to run the consoles, it's that the 360 is a piece of **** if it doesn't have all the additional crap to make it rival the PS3.

Sure, you don't NEED the 20gig hard drive, and you don't NEED the HD-DVD drive, but the fact doesn't change that, movie quality aside, using the new formats for storage capacity (just as Microsoft's own Flight Simulator X comes on TWO DVD drives - the format storage discussion ending right then and there) loosens the boundaries games are constrained by.

The Xbox360's core system is a joke that everyone got a laugh on in (really, who the **** owns that one?), and the Premium is so hot they're already scrambling to create a 100gb hard drive, because the current one can't compete with Sony's 60gb one.

There's a reason why Microsoft is already doing R&D for the next Xbox console. This one, now with the advent of Wii and PS3 on the horizon, looks like ugly trash. And it's not like they're not smart to do it really, somehow they managed to **** themselves in the ass and go against their prime directive. We all know the Xbox as a platform, is only meant to take consumers' money away from Sony and Nintendo so that they wouldn't have a monopoly on console, or should we call it "non-PC" gaming, so it really doesn't matter if the company takes a dive on the platform profits, as long as that money doesn't go into Sony's and Nintendo's profit margin.

Bottom line - if you don't spend more than $600 on your Xbox, you do not compete in the "next-gen" category. You're left with a white piece of **** that's just simply likely to overheat. PS3 may have its fair share of problems, but no matter how much the paid off news sites are trying to suck MS' cock, facts are facts. Xbox isn't worth any money whatsoever, unless you're a Halo fan. The end. Every other game will be available to be played on the PC anyway. Actually, Halo included probably.

i can feel the love from here!  :p  ;)
   //Warning\\