Author Topic: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.  (Read 26246 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Sony's Phony "fact" sheet on the next-generation.
I think kill.switch and even Winback on the N64 did the whole 'go flush' thing ages ago, too.

To be honest, I doubt there's been a single non-RPG game with a truly great story (and even then, they're rare in RPGs; KoToR 1 is the only that comes to my mind, and even then it's a well told but generic version of Star Wars: A New Hope).

EDIT; there have been some good 1st generation games; Mario 64 springs to mind, or Super Mario World on the SNES (not buying a Master System, Megadrive, PS1, etc at launch, I'm not sure about their launch lineup).  Of course, nowadays it seems games are measured on presentation - show over substance - which is the only area where you could reasonably expect 1st generation to fall short.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:37:58 am by aldo_14 »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
I think kill.switch and even Winback on the N64 did the whole 'go flush' thing ages ago, too.

To be honest, I doubt there's been a single non-RPG game with a truly great story (and even then, they're rare in RPGs; KoToR 1 is the only that comes to my mind, and even then it's a well told but generic version of Star Wars: A New Hope).

that's reaching far back, but yeah, they did that too. Kotor 1 had a great story, it was well executed..

Kotor 2 had a pretty good story too, but fell short when it came to character development, and it lacked overall polish, primarily due to lucasarts rushing obsidian to make it in 12 months.

the Fallout series had a good story, due to it being somewhat unique, the post-apoc setting of it helped it along immensely.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
To be honest, I doubt there's been a single non-RPG game with a truly great story
Blah blah, Silent Hill series, blah blah blah Perimeter, ramble ramble Legacy of Kain

...What I meant to say is, that's a bit of an unfair generalisation. I agree they're extremely rare, and RPGs do tend to focus on story more readily, but if KotOR is the par for 'truly great' then I must disagree.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Secret of Mana ftw.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
To be honest, I doubt there's been a single non-RPG game with a truly great story
Blah blah, Silent Hill series, blah blah blah Perimeter, ramble ramble Legacy of Kain

...What I meant to say is, that's a bit of an unfair generalisation. I agree they're extremely rare, and RPGs do tend to focus on story more readily, but if KotOR is the par for 'truly great' then I must disagree.

I'm not sure KotOR is truly great, it's just the best example I can think of.  The more I think of it, the less I think any game has a truly great story, because of the interactive nature of the medium; certainly I've never played anything approaching the level of a good (nevermind a classic) book.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Oh, absolutely, but I think that's the thing. They're different mediums: comparing them seems to me to be a pretty fruitless endeavour. I mean, you could say, 'Well, that game's story was pretty cool, but it wasn't as good as so-and-so book.' But what's the point?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Oh, absolutely, but I think that's the thing. They're different mediums: comparing them seems to me to be a pretty fruitless endeavour. I mean, you could say, 'Well, that game's story was pretty cool, but it wasn't as good as so-and-so book.' But what's the point?

Strriving to do better?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
My point is the book argument pretty much brings the entire gaming industry to its knees in this regard. Books are designed specifically to tell a story, games aren't. This doesn't mean there's never been a good story in a game, it just means they can't tell a good story in the same way a book can, which is why bringing the other industry into it is essentially meaningless.

It's the same deal with films. Because it's a visual medium and each piece is compressed into about two hours, they can't tell a story in the same way as a book, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't have a good story in a movie.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
My point is the book argument pretty much brings the entire gaming industry to its knees in this regard. Books are designed specifically to tell a story, games aren't. This doesn't mean there's never been a good story in a game, it just means they can't tell a good story in the same way a book can, which is why bringing the other industry into it is essentially meaningless.

It's the same deal with films. Because it's a visual medium and each piece is compressed into about two hours, they can't tell a story in the same way as a book, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't have a good story in a movie.

True, but I don't believe games are incapable of matching the story quality - if not the precise nature of the telling - of a book.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Considering I was ranked 24th player out of a few million regarding the ranking in Sons of Liberty, you'll be the one doing the ass talking.

I'm sure the story may have "potential", but like the man says, the game makes it trivial. When the story is trivial, it holds no interest for me, nor should it to anyone who values their mind.

A lot of games offer good shooting. This one is just simply the newest and prettiest one.

But nothing more.

1st - the MGS games have really hokey in game animations. This is a fact. Deal with it.

2nd - the story is trivialized because the gameplay stands so well on its own.

3rd - MGS has the most contrived storytelling of any game, and while the cinematics are great, the actual plot sucks.

1 - The animations are perfection at every turn.

2 - The story is what makes the game go around, and so are the cutscenes. The gameplay is actually an "inbetween" hassle that you go through between cutscenes, however, because it is such a GOOD hassle (both complex and perfectly executed), we love it very much.

3 - Just because you didn't understand the story, that doesn't mean it isn't sufficiently awesome. I understand how it is for you to call it  "stupid" - there are a lot of people who did that, and they did it because they didn't understand it.

You have no ground on attacking MGS on the points you're trying to make. MGS has different flaws, but you don't know what they are because you aren't criticizing the game for its real shortcomings, you're criticizing it because it's not on the Xbox but on the competing platform.

Which makes your opinion not only void, but also spoken like a true advertising moron.

Offline Inquisitor

I'll let you guys know how it is over the weekend.

An awful lot of armchair reviewing going on here...
No signature.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Considering I was ranked 24th player out of a few million regarding the ranking in Sons of Liberty, you'll be the one doing the ass talking.

I'm sure the story may have "potential", but like the man says, the game makes it trivial. When the story is trivial, it holds no interest for me, nor should it to anyone who values their mind.

A lot of games offer good shooting. This one is just simply the newest and prettiest one.

But nothing more.

1st - the MGS games have really hokey in game animations. This is a fact. Deal with it.

2nd - the story is trivialized because the gameplay stands so well on its own.

3rd - MGS has the most contrived storytelling of any game, and while the cinematics are great, the actual plot sucks.

1 - The animations are perfection at every turn.

2 - The story is what makes the game go around, and so are the cutscenes. The gameplay is actually an "inbetween" hassle that you go through between cutscenes, however, because it is such a GOOD hassle (both complex and perfectly executed), we love it very much.

3 - Just because you didn't understand the story, that doesn't mean it isn't sufficiently awesome. I understand how it is for you to call it  "stupid" - there are a lot of people who did that, and they did it because they didn't understand it.

You have no ground on attacking MGS on the points you're trying to make. MGS has different flaws, but you don't know what they are because you aren't criticizing the game for its real shortcomings, you're criticizing it because it's not on the Xbox but on the competing platform.

Which makes your opinion not only void, but also spoken like a true advertising moron.

Spoken like a true MGS fanboy.

I understand the stories perfectly well, which is why I know they suck. I play MGS for the gameplay, not the story.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Dear sir,
Your opinions do not coincide with mine. Please change them to suit my convenience or I will call you names and glare at your username for an unspecified amount of time.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You bastard, you!  I rebut your statement with my own view and a conjured apocryphal story!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Spoken like a true MGS fanboy.

I understand the stories perfectly well, which is why I know they suck. I play MGS for the gameplay, not the story.

Of course I'm an MGS fanboy. They're great games, and you absolutely have no shred of reason to call them otherwise.

If you understand the stories, why don't you tell me what they were about and the meaning behind them then? See, the gameplay is the least attractive part of the game, although monumental and awesome. If you understood everything, you'll have no problem detailing it out.

Dear sir,
Your opinions do not coincide with mine. Please change them to suit my convenience or I will call you names and glare at your username for an unspecified amount of time.

No, it's:

"I will call you names and glare at your username for an unspecified amount of time because your opinions are based on nothing coherent or anything resembling on any stretch of the imagination as "sane"."

Get the difference?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:53:16 pm by BlackDove »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
There is no way to deny that this game is seriously beautiful though.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 07:48:23 pm by Deepblue »

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
So? I don't know about you, but after about 10 minutes of playing a game, I don't really notice the graphics at all, because i'm, y'know, playing the game.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It's called atmosphere.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
It's called atmosphere.

you can have atmosphere without the severe eyecandy, you know.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Eyecandy builds atmosphere better. See Half Life 2 and Resident Evil 4. HL2s story wasn't great, but the atmosphere made up for it.