Author Topic: Game over for Halo movie?  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: Game over for Halo movie?
They could, but will they?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
There's no point in blowing 2-300 million in finding out if releasing a Halo movie will work, when the only reason that they'd have to spend the 2-300 million would be the movie that would be blowing in that hypothetical situation.

OTOH, I am curious about why Microsoft couldn't simply fund the film itself and use Universal/Fox as a sort of go-between to do all the actual work. You'd think that Microsoft could hammer out a deal whereby they gained a greater % of the profits in exchange for funding more of the film. Methinks that something else may be going on.

All that being said, I've been impressed enough with the Halo movies so far that if a movie did come out, I'd probably go see it. If they could link in some kind of meaning-of-life message or whatever that'd be nice, but being able to see the SFX and no-holds-barred SciFi style of Halo onscreen would certainly be an experience. OK, so the fanbois throwing little Master Chief replica dolls at the opening premier would be fun too. :p
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Microsoft might have deep pockets, but movies are a huge risk, they have no long term business model or plan for media, no experience, and no connections.  It'd be about as feasible as Ford opening a cafe chain.

So what. They've got so much money they could afford to blow 2-300 million discovering whether they are any good at movies or not. They could treat it as a feasibility study.

They could blow 200-300 million on a lot of feasibility studies, it doesn't mean it make any sort of financial or business sense for them to do so.  Generally speaking, businesses with Big Fat Piles Of Cash are more reluctant, not less, to piss it away on daft ventures.  Google excepted.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
They could blow 200-300 million on a lot of feasibility studies, it doesn't mean it make any sort of financial or business sense for them to do so.

Completely wrong. What's the point in having mindbendingly enormous piles off cash and not using it to make even more cash, and how do you make cash, you muscle other companies out of business until you have a monopoly. They're already done this in the software sector, or at least as much as governments seem willing to allow them, so the sensible business plan for them now is to diversify into other sectors, use their bottomless pockets to wipe out the competition there, and form monopolies in those sectors.

Microsoft are being lazy. Capitalism has the same ending as Highlander. "There can be only one.". Microsoft should be ensuring it's them.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
They could blow 200-300 million on a lot of feasibility studies, it doesn't mean it make any sort of financial or business sense for them to do so.

Completely wrong. What's the point in having mindbendingly enormous piles off cash and not using it to make even more cash, and how do you make cash, you muscle other companies out of business until you have a monopoly. They're already done this in the software sector, or at least as much as governments seem willing to allow them, so the sensible business plan for them now is to diversify into other sectors, use their bottomless pockets to wipe out the competition there, and form monopolies in those sectors.

Microsoft are being lazy. Capitalism has the same ending as Highlander. "There can be only one.". Microsoft should be ensuring it's them.

What's the point of having vast resources of cash and then pissing it away on a market sector so far away from both your core strengths, brand recognition value, corporate setup, experience/skill base and reputation as to be unrecognisable?  MS doesn't have dominance or monopoly in any case; just look at the heating-up rivalry with Google and Apple in markets far, far closer to their market area.  Even entertainment hardware like the Xbox and Zune are being 'done' because they are valuable as software sellers or for softening up the marketplace (and both are also using 3rd parties like IBM & Toshiba to shoulder costs and provide expertise).

Moreso, Microsoft don't have the facilities, skills or staff for making a movie; so unless they want to open up a studio and distributor for a one-off property (because they don't have anything else anywhere near as movie-marketable as Halo), they'll need to go via an established major studio.  Because what sort of movie crew, etc, would leave one of those for a short term contract at Microsoft studios?  So then you have MS paying the studio to make the movie.... and a distributor to distribute.  In the knowledge that the movie game is fickle, too; the Doom movie cost $70m (half the estimated Halo movie cost, and that's assuming there aren't delay and budget increases) and only made $56m.

And if there's one thing big corporations know, it's risk management.  Maximising ROI and all that jazz.  So there's no way in hell they'll self finance, because it's a huge risk (not to mention the aside of negative impact on the game brand if the movie is ****e - and arguably the value of Halo as a movie is PR rather than money, which is why you want professionals to do it); just look at the conditions they attached in getting other studios to finance it.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
That's such a weak defence of M$'s laziness that I won't even bother.  ;7
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
:rolleyes: