Author Topic: Would you guys find this offensive?  (Read 7359 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Would you guys find this offensive?
I just feel that how they're portraying them makes it appear that they're saying that Japanese are fleash eating snake-eyed monsters.

:lol: Well I believe them. I'll believe anything I will.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
Ask yourself this - do you honestly think that in some game development studio somewhere some game designer was thinking "I really hate those ****ing Japs. I'm going to make a race of baddies that look like them"? If so, then you can get offended (you're also likely to be pretty stupid). If not, then no sane person has any reason to get offewnded. Just get over it.

No, I don't believe that, but that wasn't the question.  The question would a person of Japanese heritage, ignorant of the series, think exactly that upon seeing it?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
must type quickly before nother reply comes in!!!

nobody is reading my posts!!

anyway japs have no reason to get angry with anyone (incl. me for calling them japs) because games have to have a bad guy anyway so unless they're aliens they have to get some inspiration...

post post post!!!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
No, I don't believe that, but that wasn't the question.  The question would a person of Japanese heritage, ignorant of the series, think exactly that upon seeing it?
It depends on the person. If they're easily offended, highly opinionated, completely ignorant of video-games in general, and just all around thick in the head... then yes, they might very well feel a bit offended.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
This thread is so funny. Absolutely fantastic. Someone highlight this thread please.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
does hlp even have highlights nemore?

w00t second page.. :nervous:

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If it doesn't someone should reinstate them just for this thread.  :)

Offline Freespace Freak

Okay, okay, okay, I'll back off.  I still think they're treading in dangerous territory, but I'll just sit back and watch the fan from a safe distance and see if any **** hits it.   :P

Offline Dysko

This is no more a thread. This is a chatroom...  :p
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
--- Japanese rule ---

'Specially manga... :nervous:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:32:04 am by Snail »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Careful Snail..

Anyway, (having only read the first post) I think that while there are apparently similarities and strengths drawn from Japanese style - that we musn't forget that the game is a work of fantasy and as such we should throw away certain preconceptions - for instance that just because these vampiric snake-men look like our real-world Japanese - they aren't necessarily comparing the two.

Personally if I was Japanese I wouldn't be offended about this.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Does burning work? Stake through the heart surely?

Offline Freespace Freak

*Brandishes katana*

Come back and fight, scum!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Does burning work? Stake through the heart surely?
For these Pseudo-Japanese Snake Vampires, or for Snail?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Errmm... :nervous:

*edits post*

Offline Freespace Freak

I don't know, let's find out! :drevil:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Eeeep....

Okay, okay, I'll never post in THIS thread again...

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
On Nirn the Tsaesci are Vampire-Snake-Men with human slaves. Human slaves who happen to be the ones seen in Oblivion.

The Empire adopted a lot of Akaviri symbolism (the dragon, blades armor, etc.) out of both fear and respect of the Tsaesci and their human warriors.

So, are the Tang-Mo monkey men an insult to the Chinese or are they just monkeys fighting off the endless hordes of the snow-demons to the north? (ZOMG! Kim Jong Il!)

Get a grip man, it's a game and the eastern-flavored lore was written during a drunken stupor and was weird enough to keep ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Freespace Freak

On Nirn the Tsaesci are Vampire-Snake-Men with human slaves. Human slaves who happen to be the ones seen in Oblivion.

The Empire adopted a lot of Akaviri symbolism (the dragon, blades armor, etc.) out of both fear and respect of the Tsaesci and their human warriors.

So, are the Tang-Mo monkey men an insult to the Chinese or are they just monkeys fighting off the endless hordes of the snow-demons to the north? (ZOMG! Kim Jong Il!)

Get a grip man, it's a game and the eastern-flavored lore was written during a drunken stupor and was weird enough to keep ;)

Actually, a dev recently confirmed that those men you see at Pale Pass are supposed to be Snakemen.  You just have to imagine that they are, not as you see them.  Trust me, I know all about the lore, it just sounds a bit offensive to me in the way it comes out.  I guess we'll see when they actually make it.

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Meh, I can't see why... it's not meant to be an insult (I think), so they're just utilizing Japanese culture because it's cool  :D.

Isn't much of a reason to be offended by that. If you think it's an insult, on purpose, or defamation, I say that's wildly improbable.