Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 3018 times)

Can someone give me a stupid link to perhaps a post regarding why "Freespace 3" will not be produced (well atleast for now) ... i guess regarding the legal matters of it.

I'm sure everyone hates talking about it, but if you show me a link where i can read it, I would appreciate it.

------------------
Webmaster: Echelon HQ
www.3dactionplanet.com/echelon

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
Uuuhmmm... I don't think that post exists... But on legal matters, I think its safe to say that Interplay didn't want to make any futher Freespace games, because of the (supposedly) low sales of Freespace 2. And owning the rights to the FS franchise, no one, not even Volition could make futher FS games without Interplay's OK.  However, with Volition now suing Interplay, who knows what the future holds...
I have returned... Again...

Thanks for the quick answer... it should be interesting to see how bioware and Vio. due vs stupid Interplay

------------------

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's a little more info on the FAQ I made for the VBB. Have a look at answer 1 on this topic
 http://vbb.volition-inc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016781.html
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline diamondgeezer

Sooo... if   decided they wanted to make a new FS game, they'd need to convince Titus to buy the rights fron Interplay, yes?

thanks Kara, this is exactly what i was looking for...

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by diamondgeezer:
Sooo... if   decided they wanted to make a new FS game, they'd need to convince Titus to buy the rights fron Interplay, yes?

not necessarly: buying a license would be enough, and probably cheaper.
SCREW CANON!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
No, Volition would need to convince THQ, who owns them now, to buy the rights from Interplay/Titus/Whoever is in charge at the moment.

Interplay is slowly inploding and I'm just waiting for it to collapse or reform or something.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Collapse is good   They might just auction off the rights   I`m sure V might want the rights to their own game if they got them at bargin prices.

Originally posted by Dark_4ce:
OK.  However, with Volition now suing Interplay, who knows what the future holds...

Ive missed something!!!

Regards

------------------
Incidental Warfare
Cappella went nova, the GTVA stuggles to recover the NTF have broken up into two! And the shivans have a surprise in the bag!
No More Incidental Warfare...
I had to go away and help on something else - http://www.egosoft.com

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by karajorma:
Collapse is good   They might just auction off the rights   I`m sure V might want the rights to their own game if they got them at bargin prices.

yeah, and maybe V doesn't care about FS anymore, that also is possible.
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
They still pay for PXO don`t they? They could have pulled the plug.
 Besides few programmers ever stop caring for their babies.  

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Be funny if FS3 came out and the Interfray bosses (now living in gutter) thinking...
right... thats what we should have done... what people WANTED... DOH! such an easy mistake to make, too...

Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Maybe advertisement could of helped FS2. Never once did i see a advert in a mag or anything. If i hadnt of read the review i wouldnt of know it existed.

[This message has been edited by Zeronet (edited 01-12-2002).]
Got Ether?

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief

Originally posted by Zeronet:
Maybe advertisement could of helped FS2. Never once did i see a advert in a mag or anything. If i hadnt of read the review i wouldnt of know it existed.

[This message has been edited by Zeronet (edited 01-12-2002).]

Yeah same here... I only found out about it when I saw them reviewing it on a TV show...
I have returned... Again...

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I just saw it on the shelf and I thought I'd give it a try. Best try I've ever made!  
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Heck, it never even made it overseas to Israel - FS1 did. I had to... aquire... a copy until I could get one from the States.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Starwing

I heard about it first when Max Sterling dropped it to a short visit at the X-Wing Legacy boards. Later I saw it in a local shop. It stood there for quite a while until I bought it (Still for the original price  , although it was already quite old at this time...)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, I first heard of FS1 when it came bundled with my computer circa 1997. Loved it so much I pre-ordered FS2.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...