Author Topic: Planning missions in a campaign  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Planning missions in a campaign
 How do you guys do it (If you don't, shame on you!)?

I just sorta list the missions and a brief description of the mission in word. I then usually sketch out the mission on some paper. I usually include command briefings, where the ships are, arrival cues, names, orders, way points, major events, asteroid fields and stuff like that. Then I just fred them.

I'm just curious as to how some of the more experienced writers/freders do it.

EDIT: I hope this is in the right board. :nervous: I mean, it has to do with planning campaigns...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 05:24:27 pm by thesizzler »

Re: Planning missions in a campaign
I come up with an idea for a story, then I think on it for several weeks, getting more and more specific, getting rid of things that are stupid and adding some (hopefully) better ones. Then I get really specific and write all the missions down, with a basic overview of what happens.

Then I kind of FRED off the top of my head. (Rhyme!  :D)

I start FREDding, and I notice peculiarities that maybe I didn't on paper, such as things that can't be done. So I alter the mission design to avoid things of that sort. I write up conversations between pilots and other characters before FREDding a single event. Then I FRED away, tweaking things, improving them, until eventually I have an acceptable mission before me. Works really well for me, this system.

Of course, I am not what you would call experienced.  :p I'm about halfway through my first campaign...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"