Author Topic: (Not a troll)The whole "next year" answer.  (Read 11503 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
(Not a troll)The whole "next year" answer.
Delete the topic if you feel it shouldn't have been posted, by all means... but what exactly are we waiting on? I don't come here too too often, but last time I checked for ST:R, it was set for March or something. "Early 2006," at any rate. It's almost November now. Last November it was set for end of 2005.

My questions are 1. What's the holdup now? 2. Can we get another tentative window?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: (Not a troll)The whole "next year" answer.
Perhaps they're working on FSPort 4.0 or a new version of the Port rather than ST:R. If not they probably can't be bothered, but I'm willing to wait for now.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
1. We only have one active beta tester, and he is sllllloooowwww. ;) On the average, one mission passes quality control every three weeks, which I'm not proud of. :( We have two other beta testers who are supposed to be active, but one has Real Life issues going on and one hasn't done much yet.

2. I am pushing for all missions to be finalized and tested by the end of this year (i.e. December 31st).  Then we'll start voice acting.  Voice actors are notoriously slow too (judging from Blaise Russel's call for Derelict to be voice-acted) but I'm hoping we'll have the entire campaign out the door by Spring Break.

We aren't working on 4.0 or anything major like that.  ST:R will run on 3.0, but 3.1 is recommended because it will have a few extra special tweaks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:33:21 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Well, this seems as good a place as any to make an offer. I have an excellent computer that can run FS_Open at full quality at 60 FPS. In addition, I have a slack-ass schedule at the moment. Can I beta test?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm...

Hmm...

PM sent.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
PM replied. :)

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Snail

• SC 5
2. I am pushing for all missions to be finalized and tested by the end of this year (i.e. December 31st).  Then we'll start voice acting.  Voice actors are notoriously slow too (judging from Blaise Russel's call for Derelict to be voice-acted) but I'm hoping we'll have the entire campaign out the door by Spring Break.

Somehow, I doubt voice acting will be done by spring. Though, I do hope missions will be done, ST:R is what I'm going to base my (side) project on.

You've probably already thought of this, but I'll suggest it anyway:

Why not release the finished campaign when it's done and patch the voice files later? Sort of like what the rerelease of Derelict did, with the voice files being separate.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We're seriously considering it, but right now we're leaning toward the full release.  Problem is, voice acting adds a lot to a campaign, and releasing a nonvoiced version would make it seem incomplete IMHO.

Offline Nuclear1

You've probably already thought of this, but I'll suggest it anyway:

Why not release the finished campaign when it's done and patch the voice files later? Sort of like what the rerelease of Derelict did, with the voice files being separate.

IIRC, Goober mentioned there being one particular moment in ST:R where voiceacting would play a huge role in setting the atmosphere.  I'll gladly wait. (Just have it out before 7/17/07; I'm leaving then :p )
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd rather have no voice acting then bad voice acting, anyway, so make sure it's good. :P :D

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
I'd rather have no voice acting then bad voice acting, anyway, so make sure it's good. :P :D

*puts on the English Pedantry Hat*

What? You'd rather have none, THEN bad acting? *ahem* The proper word is THAN, as in 'I'd rather have a 3.0Ghz CPU than a 1.0Ghz CPU.'

Then is used thusly 'I'm going to play the Freespace 1 campaign, then I'm going to play the Freespace 2 campaign.'

Then is used to indicate one thing coming after another. Than is used to indicate a preference for one thing instead of the other.

*takes off the English Pedantry Hat*

You may now proceed with your request for good voice acting instead of no voice acting. ;)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:nervous:

I was in a rush so I didn't proof read it...........

I thought i was supposed to be the nitpicking grammer nazi (well un-less goober has some thing to say about that.)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't nitpick every error because I want to 1) give people a chance to correct their own errors; and 2) give my protegés the chance to catch some errors. :)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
We aren't working on 4.0 or anything major like that.  ST:R will run on 3.0, but 3.1 is recommended because it will have a few extra special tweaks.

If I may ask, here you have another when question.   :p

(Do not forget to add afterburner trails to all FS1 only ships. I think there's a patch from Blackslash in 3.0.3 thread)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
3.1 is ready to release, but we want to keep it on hold in case we need to add anything for ST:R (like a GTI squadron logo).  ST:R will still be compatible with 3.0 though.

Afterburner trails have been added btw.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
OOH SCREE SCRAAAA SCREEEE!!!

GTI SQUADRON LOGO!!!!

Oh, sorry... (I want one for a project of mine).....

Offline mnftg64

its funny reading these topics a year or more later... Just sayin.

Spring Break come and gone... and no ST:R.  :(
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm working now... I don't get a spring break. :(