Author Topic: Xbox360 update killing machines  (Read 5616 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Xbox360 update killing machines
For now  :D.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Erk

Microsoft's Autumn Xbox 360 update is causing consoles to freeze at random intervals during play.

The snafu aparently affects all games. The update was bugled on the Xbox community site as "another 85 reasons why 360 rocks".

Microsoft sent us this statement:

We’re aware that a very small number of Xbox 360 customers have been experiencing some issues with their console after the Autumn Update has been applied. We’re working with each customer individually to resolve any problems. Any Xbox 360 customers who have any issues with their console should contact the customer service team on 0870 60 10 100.

So far Redmond's idea "working with each customer individually" has mostly been to demand $139 to pick up the console and have it repaired, which is odd considering Microsoft told The Register the problem is caused by its update.

More details from other gamers here in the official Xbox site forum. One user says he was told by Xbox tech support that part of the update was intended to freeze 360s with mod chips.

Offline Inquisitor

Isn't that just a reiteration of everything everyone has already said?

For it killing machines, there sure are thousands of people playing PSU... And Test Drive... And Ghost Recon...

And a few people seem to have survived long enough to show up on my friends list playing GoW...

I still call bull****. But I realize that anti-Microsoft sentiment is a fun game in and of itself, so it won't do any good.
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Isn't that just a reiteration of everything everyone has already said?

For it killing machines, there sure are thousands of people playing PSU... And Test Drive... And Ghost Recon...

And a few people seem to have survived long enough to show up on my friends list playing GoW...

I still call bull****. But I realize that anti-Microsoft sentiment is a fun game in and of itself, so it won't do any good.

It's probably a 1, 2% or somesuch error (the machine killing error was reportedly ~1%), so I'm not surprised.  I mean, if it was a common error, they'd kind of notice it testing the update, wouldn't they?  I'd say it's inevitably you get machine ****ing-up updates with a patching system; just like for windows itself.

My understanding is that the quoted text refers to a different error, what with it actually describing a different error.

Surely it's rather ****ish to demand a repair fee for fixing something that you broke, though?  Ableit if I wanted to really slag off MS, I'd focus on Aaron Greenberg justifying not bringing out a new large capacity HD because they can just buy more 20GB ones.

Offline Inquisitor

Depends. I know a small number of folks who have returned their Xbox's after they have red-ringed. My box red-ringed after  imoved back into the hosue after the accident, MS replaced it for free, I didn't even pay for shipping.

None of the others were charged for replacements. What they MIGHT do, is put a hold on a CC, if they find out say, that you actually hit it with a hammer or dropped it in the pool, and they figure that out when the get the RMA. That's a common hardware RMA tactic, Dell does it, Sun does it, HP does it. If everything is "kosher" then they don;t actually process the charge. MS didn't do that to me when I sent my box in, but that doesn't mean they won't or don;t do it in some circumstances.

I'd dig a little deeper into who was charged, it certianly isn't commonplace.

Slag MS for alot of things, sure, but this one is a lot of hooey and rooted in pure anti-MS sentiment for the sake of anti-MS sentiment. And thats crap.  Re-posting is just contributing to a bull**** rumour as far as I can tell, and that doesn't help anyone.
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Depends. I know a small number of folks who have returned their Xbox's after they have red-ringed. My box red-ringed after  imoved back into the hosue after the accident, MS replaced it for free, I didn't even pay for shipping.

None of the others were charged for replacements. What they MIGHT do, is put a hold on a CC, if they find out say, that you actually hit it with a hammer or dropped it in the pool, and they figure that out when the get the RMA. That's a common hardware RMA tactic, Dell does it, Sun does it, HP does it. If everything is "kosher" then they don;t actually process the charge. MS didn't do that to me when I sent my box in, but that doesn't mean they won't or don;t do it in some circumstances.

I'd dig a little deeper into who was charged, it certianly isn't commonplace.

Slag MS for alot of things, sure, but this one is a lot of hooey and rooted in pure anti-MS sentiment for the sake of anti-MS sentiment. And thats crap.  Re-posting is just contributing to a bull**** rumour as far as I can tell, and that doesn't help anyone.

Nitpick; wasn't a repost.  It clearly describes a different issue.

Offline Inquisitor

I read fall update and unreviveable systems.

Seems like more "Fall update kills machines" what's new or different about it? The "its a tactic versus modchips" is something that's been circultaing since the first bricked box reports started showing up. Maybe I am mis-matching what I read elsewhere with what you have posted.

Colour me confused, apologies if I am misunderstanding something. It doesn't appear to me as new information.
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I read fall update and unreviveable systems.

Seems like more "Fall update kills machines" what's new or different about it? The "its a tactic versus modchips" is something that's been circultaing since the first bricked box reports started showing up. Maybe I am mis-matching what I read elsewhere with what you have posted.

Colour me confused, apologies if I am misunderstanding something. It doesn't appear to me as new information.

Different error symptoms