Author Topic: Temporary Dreamcatcher Discussion thread  (Read 53649 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Temporary Dreamcatcher Discussion thread
Let me think about it...

If porting Dreamcatcher out means increasing the dimensions of the VP or modpack, I don't think it's a good idea. We all have Inferno, what's wrong with making it an Inferno mod? You can always add reskins or any other kind of "betterized" models(and other stuff) to the VP(so they will replace the old versions of Inferno). I hope you're not going to make the modpack unnecessarily large ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Oh no. It definitely wouldn't be a large modpack. I'm thinking having some FS2 designs around and some newer ships as well. Sort of like how FS2 had a bunch of FS1 stuff but added things.

Since I never did get Dreamcatcher to work as an add-on to Inferno, this would actually decrease the mod size.

EDIT: Maybe I should explain my last statement: in order to cut down on Dreamcatcher's size, I envisioned it sort of like downloading a patch to Inferno, and then using a mod.ini to summon the neccessary files from Inferno. However, this never worked, for some reason, and so I pretty much put all the new mods into an R1 VP... which was like 300 megs. So, like I said, porting it out would result in a significantly smaller filesize.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Would the plot be affected?

Not really. The basic storyline would remain unchanged, though the Third Shivan War would vanish, since it wouldn't be in Inferno.

Basically, it would take place around 2390. The basic plot would remain unchanged: the sol gate, the Earth Alliance (although I'd probably name them something else), the Dreamcatcher itself will still be around.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't like when people useless stuff to their VPs(by "useless stuff" I mean files contained in other mods *cough*mod.ini*cough*), if Dreamcatcher is an Inferno mod it should remain an Inferno mod, reskins or not ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Well, the problem with my previous idea (Dreamcatcher as an add-on to Inferno) is that I'd be assuming that they would already have Inferno. If they didn't, they'd be required to download one of the larger mods out there in addition to the campaign itself. This is one of the major complaints I got when I put up that mission a while back, before some mod was kind enough to move the thread to Inferno's board where it would be more well-received.

Besides, when INF SCP is released, I'd have to rework Dreamcatcher in order to keep it up-to-date and pretty-looking, and if it was ported out, I wouldn't have to.

Besides all that: I feel almost like I'm intruding on the Inferno team's idea by having it in Inferno. I didn't exactly ask anyone's permission or anything to have it in Inferno's universe. Maybe I don't have to, maybe I do, I don't know, but the fact remains that I didn't.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uhm, as far as I know, you shouldn't ask for permissions. You can do it, but expect a "you don't need permissions" as reply :)

And INF SCP is going to change a lot of things, like Steadfast... :blah: ... :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline starlord

Looking forward to this one!

:bump:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :D

Well, college final exams are taking up the bulk of my time as of now, but soon I shall be on break and have lots of time to catch up.

As will I. Unfortunately, my campaign must be restarted. When I installed FS Open again, it deleted my old missions. However, I sort of wanted to redo most of the missions (change the characters/dialog/events/etc.). The Feint at Ross 128 will remain an Inferno-era mod, requiring the Inferno VPs...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline starlord

Will the nightmares still be in the campaign? Please say yes! ;)

They will.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But it won't be an Inferno campaign, right? :(

I'm still indecisive on that.

Offline starlord

Anywoh, I'm truly looking forward to those nightmare ships!! ;)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm still indecisive on that.

Make a decision. No Inferno campaign = this thread shouldn't be here :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:22:33 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Just leave it an Inferno mod, DH. If you're not decisive, just go the easy route and leave it be.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Inferno mod FTW