Author Topic: Temporary Dreamcatcher Discussion thread  (Read 53525 times)

Temporary Dreamcatcher Discussion thread
EDIT: For anyone who followed the link in my sig and doesn't know what Dreamcatcher is: it is my own campaign built with Inferno stuff. No, it is not part of the canonical Inferno storyline. Yes, I am still working on it. And, yes, it is on Skippy's List. If you have any other questions, please, feel free to ask away.

Original Post:
Since discussions about Dreamcatcher seem to be popping up all over these forums, I'm creating this topic so that I can stop stealing space from other people's topics.

i have a proposal for you Dreamcatcher guys...
Are you maintaining the old Inferno textures or you are reskinning the ships,even with custom textures? We can do an unique work inSTEAD of spending more time.

NIGHTMARE CRUISER?!?

I'd like to have the upgraded textures of course, but INF:A isn't released yet, so I don't know how many textures I can copy from there. I am no texture artist, so I wouldn't be creating custom textures.

And yes the Nightmare Cruiser was created because of a new revived interest in the Nightmares. Whether it is in the campaign you are just going to have to see. ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:22:18 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Temporary Dreamcatcher Discussion thread
INFA only really includes the upgraded FS1/2 textures already avaliable from Lightspeed and DaBrain. If you want the newer EA maps, those will be in INFA2.

In that case, Dreamcatcher probably won't be getting a graphics upgrade for a while... :sigh:

Oh well, it still looks pretty good.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well it depends on how quick I get INFA2 done I suppose :D

Guess so.  :D

Hey, about the armor codes in R1: what needs to be done in order to port a ship in? The Nightmare Destroyer is ridiculously strong in the armor department, to the point that it takes both a Segomo and a Lindos to have a chance of beating it. I don't think the Nightmare Destroyer was meant to be that strong...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
R1 doesn't use the new armour stuff.

If you mean INFA/INF SCP, if a ship is imported without adding an armour table, or without using an existing one all weapons will do standard damage to it. If new weapons are imported in, they will ignore any armour unless a damage type is specified.

Hmmm.... Nightmare table editing, here I come! :blah:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Interesting,Nightmare ships are interesting.

I'm using a couple of them for STHCRS,as Shivan.
Are  you going to leave their name or to invent something else?
If you're interested in reskins,contact me or any other "Steadfast Boy".We'll try to make something good together.  :)

Hey, about the armor codes in R1: what needs to be done in order to port a ship in? The Nightmare Destroyer is ridiculously strong in the armor department, to the point that it takes both a Segomo and a Lindos to have a chance of beating it. I don't think the Nightmare Destroyer was meant to be that strong...

How many cruisers/corvette/destroyers you need to take out a Lilith?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Nah, I'll still call them "Nightmares". It fits with the Dreacatcher's name, you see.

Liliths are not in Dreamcatcher. The closest thing to them in there is the Abel cruiser, which (apologies, Woo) is about the worst-textured ship I've ever seen... so I won't be using it. Probably replace it with Axem's Lamia class.

Ok how's this for a totally unbalanced warship: the Nightmare AAA seems to instantly vaporize any fighter it touches, like a larger beam, and you can't tell me that it's supposed to do THAT! Makes the missions damned near impossible to finish. I've checked its table entry against other AAA's, but no such luck in finding a difference. What can be done to make it like normal AAA?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:33:56 pm by Dark Hunter »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well INF:A's Abel is better. You should reconsider it.

I like Axem's Lamia but I think that it shouldn't be used as a replacement.As I told you time ago,having different class of Shivan cruisers(with different strategies to take them down)makes the campaign better.

Why you don't use the Lilith?It's one hell of a cruiser.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Because I'm having a hard enough time keeping the filesize down with the stuff I have added. :p
That's my main worry at this point, because the modified Inferno VP is something like 376 megs, so I'm thinking of reworking it as a patch to R1, in which case it'd be a helluva lot smaller... but people who don't have R1 would still have to download it... so it really doesn't fix anything... :doubt:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Abel - In - Dreamcatcher - - Snail = Confused (Unless - Abel - Reskinned)

But any reskin of the Abel would probably be hideous. And no offense Mobius, but your reskins are basically just changes of the references in textures using modelview, right (ala Steadfast itself)? If so it's actually simple.

But if you are using the Abel for some reason, replace it with the Lilith in Alliance, it's pretty and lethal.

Abel - In - Dreamcatcher - - Snail = Confused (Unless - Abel - Reskinned)

what's wrong with the Abel Class???

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

what's wrong with the Abel Class???

Have you seen that thing? Looks ugly. Doesn't even look Shivan...

@Snail: Snail = Confused, why?

The Dreamcatcher VP is simply R1's VP with some minor additions. So, most of what R1 has, Dreamcatcher has. I cut out several things (like the ugly Earth model and the EAI Andromeda), and added some more stuff (like a couple Nightmarish ships  :D).

Now: I need to get back on getting the ****ed website up. Call me a n00b, but this is the first time I've done this and... er, I have no clue what I'm doing.  :D So: that's going to be taking up my time for a while, then I'll get back to FREDding.

yea, Hunter's too......hmmm, what's the word......ah yes, Good.....to ask MatthewPapa for help.

btw, we're trying to tell the d*** server to load the homepage, not display the folder that holds all the information....

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Spartan, you're not helping.  :p

sure I am... I always am, except when I'm not

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Just look at the new Abel....

But any reskin of the Abel would probably be hideous. And no offense Mobius, but your reskins are basically just changes of the references in textures using modelview, right (ala Steadfast itself)? If so it's actually simple.

Trying to add more turrets(done)and the nameplate(still to do)is different from what you said.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Dysko

And no offense Mobius, but your reskins are basically just changes of the references in textures using modelview, right (ala Steadfast itself)?
Keep in consideration that when I invented the storyline and Mobius wasn't member of the team yet, I planned to use the standard EA textures for the Steadfast... :P If you prefer it like that...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

NO, we don't want it like that!!!
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE