Author Topic: HELP! The MediaVPs are totally MESSED AND IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!  (Read 6435 times)

Re: HELP! The MediaVPs are totally MESSED AND IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!
Holy CRAP!

You know what... the JPG/TGA texture setting FIXED IT!  No more debug erros, I get shockwaves and asteroids and everything is dandy.

Now that that has been figured out (and thank you all for your input, appreciate the help) the ships look sort of blocky.  Is there anything outside of the Zeta vp packs that I can add to make the game look it's ABSOLUTE best?  Hardware speed is not an issue.  I want the game to look as good as it possibly can... any suggestions?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If they havent been remodeled theres nothing to be done on the users end.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Good thing the problem was solved. :)

Making the game look better... Well, you can try different command line options for lighting effects. Two main factors you can affect is the amount of ambient light and some specular lighting values, as well as field of view value... Note that there is no ready option in the Launcher, you'll have to write them onto custom command line space.

I'm currently using command line

C:\Pelit\Freespace2 SCP\fs2_open_369_RC7dot8.exe -mod <multiple mod directories> -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -img2dds -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env -fps  -ambient_factor 18 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1 -fov 0.60

Mentioned lighting options bolded. You will probably have to find your own favourite ambient factor, however. I like my game with almost pitch black shadows, some like it more when they can see more of the dark side of ships. I think the default vallue for ambient_factor is 120 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Field of view default value is -fov 0.75; greater values give more wide angle and smaller values give more shallow angle (essentially creating a "zoom" effect). I'm using 0.60 field of view value; it makes the capital ships look more realistically sized IMHO.

Various different -spec_* values work, in my opinion, fine at this configuration, but if you want to tweak them be sure to read the Freespace Wiki page about command lines and their use.

Also, alpha environment mapping is worth using nowadays, in my opinion.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Holy CRAP!

You know what... the JPG/TGA texture setting FIXED IT!  No more debug erros, I get shockwaves and asteroids and everything is dandy.

Now that that has been figured out (and thank you all for your input, appreciate the help) the ships look sort of blocky.  Is there anything outside of the Zeta vp packs that I can add to make the game look it's ABSOLUTE best?  Hardware speed is not an issue.  I want the game to look as good as it possibly can... any suggestions?

Just a suggestion but have you turned up all your detail settings within options menu?

(F2 in-game, top left hand corner)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Yup, I have those all turned up.  No big deal though, I just finished the campaign and it was glorious with the new graphics.

However, I'm starting to get into mods now... I can run them fine, but is there a way to play the mods using the Zeta Media vp's so I get the graphics benefit from them?

Specifically the mod I am trying to use the vp's with is "Into The Depths Of Hell".

Is this even possible?  I've tried a few things (hard as hell to find it on the boards) and nothing seems to have worked so far... :confused:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If the mod uses unmodified models then yes. You can create a mod.ini - create an empty plain text file and then rename it to 'mod.ini' and write the following into it - to the mod directory that you are running. For example i have this in several mod directory:

mod.ini
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = Mediavps;
With 'Mediavps' being the name of the directory where your media vp files are located.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What you're looking for (assuming you're on Windows) is information on how to set up a mod.ini file. Fortunately I've already done that :D

Have a look here.

EDIT : Ah. I see Wanderer has got there before me :)

One thing. You don't need the line with PrimaryList on it at all.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
If the mod uses unmodified models then yes. You can create a mod.ini - create an empty plain text file and then rename it to 'mod.ini' and write the following into it - to the mod directory that you are running. For example i have this in several mod directory:

mod.ini
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = Mediavps;
With 'Mediavps' being the name of the directory where your media vp files are located.

And you don't need the secondrylist typing instead of the right secondarylist anymore...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio