Author Topic: An awefull lot of problems  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
An awefull lot of problems
Okay, I downloaded the "fs2scpfullpackv15c_Shivansps". Included is (from the readme)

-Installer
-Freespace 2 full install
-Freespace 2 Cutscenes
-Freespace 1 Cutscenes
-Launcher 5.3
-3.6.8 Beta MediaVPs
-CVS Builds 4/25 which new loadout system
-DerelictSCP MOD (which Voices)
-FS_port 3.0.3 MOD
-Transcend Mod
-Awakenings 3.0 (which voices) and Destiny of Peace 3.0 campaigns inside fs_port 3.0.3 mod.
-Low-end 3D Shockwaves
-HTL Apollo for FS_port
-HTL Ursa
-HTL Moloch
-Lighspeed Nebula Pack

First problem:
Every text, for example the descriptions in the tech room or the briefings are in german. I had the german versions of FS and FS2 installed before I used the pack, but I delected them afterwards.

Second problem:
My launcher does not accept the selection of any mod. When I select a folder, I always get "Mod directory cant contain space", even if there is no space in the name. I have to choose any mod by editing the launcher file, which works.

Next one:
Radar is not working. It shows nothing. Is this normal for FS2Open ?

Finally (only with FSport)
When I create a new pilot or choose any campaign, I always get a error like:

Error: Invalid ship type "GTF Myrmidon" found in $Ship Choices: of campaign file
File:D\C++\Freespace\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 2490

Same with the GVF Seth, Horus, Toth and Osiris. When I press the "okay" button a few times, i can continue to play but nevertheless it is a annoying thing
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Shade

Re: An awefull lot of problems
For problem #2: There can't be a space anywhere in the full path to the mod directory, not just in the directory name itself. So D:\Games\Freespace Open\Mod won't work, D:\Games\FreespaceOpen\Other Mod won't work, but D:\Games\FreespaceOpen\ThirdMod will work as there are no spaces anywhere in the path.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
:welcome:

Welcome to HLP Station, May your stay here be pleasant. Please be aware that our resident tame Shivan, Carl, lurks in the air ducts, if you happen to see him, back away carefully, toss him your lunch and pray that he isn't hungry. In the event of an emergency, the plasma rifle is stored under your seat. However, due to budget cuts, the napalm has been replaced with holy water! Access to the weapons lockers is restricted to Admins/Moderators, :v: and The Hyper Intelligent Shade Of Blue. Mention of a third instalment of our favourite game is prohibited as are any combination of the characters eff ess three. Should this station develop a serious fault, please board an escape pod which has been programmed to take you to our sister station Game Warden. Please try to avoid all flame wars that can flare up at any time in various parts of the station and once again enjoy your stay!

For your first problem, that looks like a registry problem, I'm not sure how you would go about changing that. Maybe check Kara's FAQ

Shade answered your second problem.

Your Third Problem has me stumped, however, within the launcher try using the 3d Orb radar and see if that helps.

As for your final problem, well I don't recall if the GTF Myrmidon is in the original FreeSpace so maybe you're not selecting the "Main FreeSpace" campaign within the campaign room?

Have you got a screen shot of your main FreeSpace2 folder so that we can check that everything is in the right place? and what is command line settings?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Problem 1: Open the original launcher (the freespace 2 one) and go to the final tab, select English as the language.

Problem 2: As Shade said. Absolutely no spaces. "c:\Games\Freespace 2\" could even set it off.

Problem 3: There shouldn't be a Myrmidon in your arsenal if you are using the port. I suspect that the problem is related to #2, in that it isn't actually letting you choose the correct folder, or something along those lines. (Also, if you havent set up the mod folders correctly, or have the port vp in the main folder, this might happen)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
As far as I know, the latest Launcher (5.4) don't care any more whether or not there are spaces in the mod directory paths.

I tested this, my Freespace root directory is named "Freespace2 SCP" and mods work out just fine.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
First problem:
Every text, for example the descriptions in the tech room or the briefings are in german. I had the german versions of FS and FS2 installed before I used the pack, but I delected them afterwards.

I'm not certain which of these solutions will work but the second one should definitely be the one you try last.

1. Run the FS2 launcher -> Setup -> Misc -> Select English instead of German. Not 100% certain it will let you do that but give it a try.
2. Run Regedit.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> FreeSpace
    Rightmouse the launguage entry and choose modify. Change it to English.

Be warned that editing the registry is a good way to **** up Windows beyond repair if you don't know what you're doing so be very careful. You may want to back up the entire thing before editing it.

Second problem:
My launcher does not accept the selection of any mod. When I select a folder, I always get "Mod directory cant contain space", even if there is no space in the name. I have to choose any mod by editing the launcher file, which works.

Updating to ShivanSPS' pack v1.9c should deal with this one.

Finally (only with FSport)
When I create a new pilot or choose any campaign, I always get a error like:

Error: Invalid ship type "GTF Myrmidon" found in $Ship Choices: of campaign file
File:D\C++\Freespace\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 2490

Same with the GVF Seth, Horus, Toth and Osiris. When I press the "okay" button a few times, i can continue to play but nevertheless it is a annoying thing

This one is the result of ShivanSPS using one of my builds for his pack that probably could have used a bit more testing before inclusion (by me as well as everyone else). Updating to 1.9c should kill it too. It's very easy to recognise the symptoms. The build will work perfectly well in FS2 campaigns but complain the instant you start playing a mod about ships that aren't initially enabled in that mod.

If for some reason you can't upgrade to 1.9 just post and I'll explain how to do it manually. It's not hard. Just a little fiddly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

Your Third Problem has me stumped, however, within the launcher try using the 3d Orb radar and see if that helps.

I dont find any check box for 3d Orb radar...

As for your final problem, well I don't recall if the GTF Myrmidon is in the original FreeSpace so maybe you're not selecting the "Main FreeSpace" campaign within the campaign room?

I have selected the FS1 campaign. Same problem when I try a another, ST for example.
And I also get the errors with "toth" or "seth" both were in FS1 !

Okay, problem 2 sloved.

But I did not wrote all problems here, just the most annoying.
For example, the small arrow which shows my currently selected missiles and primarys is not there.
The game does not show me any "1", which means, when a enemy is 1245 away, the hud shows 245, same when I activate the afterburners, i am traveling with 120 but there is just a 20 !

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Upgrade. Should solve 90% or more of your problems :)

Offline Vidmaster

Do I need do download the whole 2GB again ?
Or is there a patch ? Please ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:52:10 am by Vidmaster »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There's a patch. You should have seen it on the same page you found the 1.5 download on.

Hmmm. Unless you found the torrent elsewhere. In which case you wouldn't have started here.

Offline Vidmaster

No I found it on another page. I dont remember which one. It was a TorrentDownload.
I will try the new version. If any new problems come up, i'll cry :(

Thanks for your help  :)

Offline Vidmaster

It seems that I am to stupid to download the patch.
When I click on the link, I get:

Downloaden Sie Datei!

Buy & Sell Ads
AdBrite is the Internet's Ad Marketplace

Your Ad Here

There are many ways to earn over the internet. We want our users to be reach and going to offer great Partnership program soon. But now we are going to explain how you ... (and so on)

There is no "get your file" link (I have seen the picture)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:18:11 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
If you download the base package, and all patches, install the base and all patches, this kit should work great. I'm using it right now just to see what it's like, and it's working quite nicely.  I'll probbably go back to a minimalistic build like I had before later on but this is a good way to dive right in to an older campaign I would play.

If you cant get the patches, and have a free fileshack account I can host the files up temporarily for you.
Edit: Ugh, it's gonna take about 4 hours or so for the files to upload.  Head to http://nix1999.shackspace.com/sps for the patches I have. If there's nothing there, it's probably still uploading. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:41:10 pm by Nix »

Offline Vidmaster

That download seems to work, thank you. Write my next post when it is finished.

Offline Vidmaster

Okay, both patches installed.
Launcher problem sloved. The problem with the missing ships for FS1 is also gone.

BUT instead, now the music and the sounds crack in my boxes. And the language problem (which is perhaps the same thing that is responsible for the not working radar, the missing "1"s and the not existing missile slot arrow) is still there.

I tryed that thing with the original FS2 launcher, but since my original FS2 launcher is german (I own the german versions of FS1, ST and FS2 because I live in Germany and i am german  :blah: ), that does not work.

The 3Orb radar fixes that not working 2d radar, but I does not show ships outside your scanner range, which means the mission in the Neb, were you have to find snipes cant be finished.

Offline Shade

Sound crackling has been known to happen with outdated drivers for an AC'97. If you're using one of those (something like 90% of mainboards with onboard sound do), try updating to the latest drivers from Realtek and see if that solves it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline ShivanSpS

Sound crackling has been known to happen with outdated drivers for an AC'97. If you're using one of those (something like 90% of mainboards with onboard sound do), try updating to the latest drivers from Realtek and see if that solves it.

Yeah, sound crackling is a AC97 drivers problem.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
The 3Orb radar fixes that not working 2d radar, but I does not show ships outside your scanner range, which means the mission in the Neb, were you have to find snipes cant be finished.

Of course it doesn't show ships outside your scanner range, that's because they are out of range. You need to follow the navbouys to find Snipes (battling Shivans along the way) IIRC there are about 7 of them. You should see a small purple (or grey i can't remember) blip on your radar, move until this is centred and head in that direction continually pressing your Y targetting button. Eventually the first navbouy will appear. Head directly past this and another purple blip shall appear on the radar. Rinse and repeat.

That mission it very difficult with the 3d Orb radar, you might want to switch back to 2d radar for that mission.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Vidmaster

Of course it doesn't show ships outside your scanner range, that's because they are out of range. You need to follow the navbouys to find Snipes (battling Shivans along the way) IIRC there are about 7 of them. You should see a small purple (or grey i can't remember) blip on your radar, move until this is centred and head in that direction continually pressing your Y targetting button. Eventually the first navbouy will appear. Head directly past this and another purple blip shall appear on the radar. Rinse and repeat.

That mission it very difficult with the 3d Orb radar, you might want to switch back to 2d radar for that mission.

I know how to beat that mission, I might be a SCP newbie but I am a FS2 veteran. :-)

I was talking about the blinking red dots, for example in the Capella missions at the end, which show the positions of the Shivans Saths around the sun. Or the dot in mission two which points to the asteroid outpost.
These are missing in the 3d Orb.

I downloaded the sound driver (-> link), but the cracks are still there.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Have you installed OpenAL?

What audio settings are you using in your launcher? (I believe Generic Software is best, but I could be wrong).