Author Topic: Playstation Portable  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
I am curious on what you guys think of PSP? I am thinking of buying one beacuse i gotta new job and i am going to travel to it by bus and it takes about an hour to get there, and i would like to have something with me so the tripp goes a litle faster.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:42:47 am by Windrunner »
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
After careful consideration..... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot bargepole.

More specifically, long load times, low battery power, a reputedly awful analogue stick and - most importantly for me - a substantial lack of interesting or fun games.  Other than the admittedly enticing prospect of portable pro-evo, I can't think of a reason for buying one.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Save the cash and just read a bloody book. Over the years of taking an hour-long bus-ride to and from school & uni, I must have eaten through a good 50 novels.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Save the cash and just read a bloody book. Over the years of taking an hour-long bus-ride to and from school & uni, I must have eaten through a good 50 novels.

True.  Plus, it'd impress the chicks*

*maybe

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
True.  Plus, it'd impress the chicks*

*maybe
Yeah, it's bloody catnip for the women. :doubt:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
My brother has one of these. I don't think he uses it much but he has loaded ScummVM and a bunch of the old Lucasarts adventure games on it. If I had to commute a lot (and wasn't driving), I might have gotten one myself for that alone. :D

Offline Inquisitor

I have both the PSP and the DS.

I'd get the DS for pure library diversity.

The PSP is nice, has some good games, and watching movies on it (UMD or mem stick) can be nice. I can get about 1 and a half feature films out of mine, battery power wise. You'll be charging it every day.

If you get one, the games that I have that I think are worth full price are Lumines and Burnout. The new Tekken is supposed to be excellent, and the Katamari port was supposed to be adequate. The graphics are fantastic compared to the DS.

The DS however, has many many more games worth playing and a much much better battery life. FF 1-4, and all the GBA games.
No signature.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know what band is playing in the latest PSP commercial?

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bull****

The filter messes up the link, but I'm sure you can figure it out anyway.
I am a revolutionary.

After careful consideration..... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot bargepole.

More specifically, long load times, low battery power, a reputedly awful analogue stick and - most importantly for me - a substantial lack of interesting or fun games.  Other than the admittedly enticing prospect of portable pro-evo, I can't think of a reason for buying one.

I agree, and I have a few more things to add to the list:

-Overpriced (considering the only real advantage it has over the DS is graphics)
-The movie-playing thing is just a gimmick, nothing more. I mean, sure, it'd be fun to watch movies on the go, but there are cheaper devices for doing so (granted, they wouldn't fit in your pants pocket, but still). Also, if I wanted to watch... say, Star Wars VI on it, I'd have to go out and spend more money to buy a different version of a movie that I already have. Yeah, that makes a great deal of sense! [/sarcasm] :ick:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Inquisitor

For a gimmick, its actually what I use it the most for. Maybe its not so much a gimmick for some people, eh? And frankly, putting it in my pocket IS the reason its "pricier" than those other options. Have some perspective on things please, it makes the rant more credible ;)

They did drop the price 100 bucks, its 199 now (not that THAT is particularly cheap).

Anyway, for pure gamer enjoyment, the DS has more bang for the buck. If movies are your gig, the PSP does that and games, and there ARE more games coming out. You can probably get a first gen DS for pretty cheap, and the DS Lite is stylish.

Don;t get me wrong, its a good little gizmo, with alot of unrealized gaming potential. Lumines alone will give you months of crack like enjoyment. Then again, so will Meteos on the DS.
No signature.

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
For a gimmick, its actually what I use it the most for. Maybe its not so much a gimmick for some people, eh? And frankly, putting it in my pocket IS the reason its "pricier" than those other options. Have some perspective on things please, it makes the rant more credible ;)

They did drop the price 100 bucks, its 199 now (not that THAT is particularly cheap).

Anyway, for pure gamer enjoyment, the DS has more bang for the buck. If movies are your gig, the PSP does that and games, and there ARE more games coming out. You can probably get a first gen DS for pretty cheap, and the DS Lite is stylish.

Don;t get me wrong, its a good little gizmo, with alot of unrealized gaming potential. Lumines alone will give you months of crack like enjoyment. Then again, so will Meteos on the DS.

Thank you for your replies.

I am thinking of having PSP mostly for watching movies or a tv show. Mybe i'll buy a game later, they are too expensive right now.
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Inquisitor

If you got the cash, its a pretty decent gizmo for that.

But buy Lumines. Trust me :)
No signature.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
not too mention that psp will soon have MGS: portable ops...assuming good reviews, that would almost be reason enough for me to pick up a psp.... :P
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002