Author Topic: Kachinko- puzzle game  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Inquisitor

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=1325

We managed to finally get this puzzler out.

w00t.

Buy a copy, help me pay the rent :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:55:52 pm by Inquisitor »
No signature.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: more Max Gaming p1mpage
Looks like the masses are enjoying it according to your comments, I may buy a copy when I get some money for it.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Nice.

For recipocal Garage Games related pluggage:

Play the SS:2845 ATR, Ace commands it!

;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Might well pick this up for Sharon, she likes stuff like this :D

However, strictly speaking, this belongs in games and gaming, sorry :)

Offline Inquisitor

I was thinking more of "success of one of the members of the community" but whatever, its kinda like the recent book p1mpage, since you know, its not some random PC game ;)

So, depends on who's defining "strictly" in this case, you ;)

I'll re-title the thread so its more appropriate to the game forum.
No signature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
However, strictly speaking, this belongs in games and gaming, sorry :)

Strictly speaking we should be banning him for being a spambot :p

Seriously though well done Inquisitor :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I was thinking more of "success of one of the members of the community" but whatever, its kinda like the recent book p1mpage, since you know, its not some random PC game ;)

Hehe, well, maybe a highlight or something could be arranged? After all, it's for the achievements of community members, and the more publicity you get the better, this is your income, not just something you do as a hobby, which is why I was sort of loathe to move it in the first place. ;)

Offline Inquisitor

More specifically, this is my teams income. We have 5 full time employees who pay their rent with this stuff.

I'm not one of them, I still have a day job. We can't afford me yet.

Think of me a an interactive spam bot ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cp-bax1dE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:33:35 pm by Inquisitor »
No signature.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Looks pretty nice. Downloading the demo now.

Mutliplatform... that was a good decision. ;)

Edit: OMG I'm the best kachinko player ever!   :eek:

... at least that's what the game told me.   ;7
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 12:55:55 pm by DaBrain »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Inquisitor

We keep hoping Linux users will remember they have wallets. Its hard to keep spending money on developing for Linux and having people not buy things.
No signature.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well... most games are windows-only, so your chances to sell (good) games for Linux shouldn't be bad. ;)

The same is true for MAC.

Less competition.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Inquisitor

I have a long rant about that ;)

not the time though. Suffice it to say, our Linux support has not been rewarded by any significant sales for any of our titles, or those of our development partners.
No signature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What about Mac? Or don't you develop for them?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Seeing the MAC logo on most pages, I'm pretty sure there is a MAC version too.   ;7

"Kachinko is launching on WINDOWS, MAC OSX, and LINUX and is now available in the GARAGEGAMES GAME STORE!"

Edit:

Matthew Spindle Harris   (Dec 06, 2006 at 06:43)
Omg Mac Mac Mac Mac. Finally! The game is really well put together. Good job on the release.

Looks like there are even less games for MAC, than for Linux.
 :lol:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:31:06 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think part of the problem is that Linux and Mac owners don't expect games for their computers to be released sadly enough. There's such a massive machine pushing Windows as the OS to write games for that people who install other OS systems do so for a specific reason and don't even look that hard for games.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Well, considering that this thread is the first time I've heard the game mentioned, I'm not really sure how many Linux gamers even know that it exists.  It needs to be submitted to linuxgames.com and happypenguin.org so that Linux gamers can find it.  I don't know how much that will help sales, but there is a decently sized crowd who will gleefully pay for Linux games (assuming that they have the money at that paricular time anyway).

Most everyone that writes commercial games for Linux has a nice long rant in them about the subject though.  The problem is figuring out how best to deal with the Linux users who use Linux simply because of the all of the free software, the Linux users who happily pay but aren't gamers, and the Linux gamers who will happily pay for a good game (a much smaller crowd).  And you also have Wine to deal with, since some people will always just buy the Windows version and play it through Wine.  Usually that happens because the Linux version becomes available months later, and/or cost more than the Windows version at the time they buy (Windows versions depreciate faster so their prices drop far more rapidly than the price of a Linux or OS X title do).  Of course, no one has been able to figure out how to handle all of that yet.  One thing that I did see recently, and thought was interesting, was a Linux port that required 200 pre-orders before that would finish/release it, primarily because their previous Linux port didn't sell nearly well enough.  I'm pretty sure that they got those orders within about a week too.

And if you need to free Linux support code wise then you know you can always turn to me. :)  I'll try and help out with Linux and OS X ports without the need for monetary compensation, at least until it's more realistic to do it all in-house.  I don't make money as a coder (not my job), so, as long as time allows it, I'll work on anything for next to nothing (a free copy of the game in question is plenty :D).

Offline Inquisitor

The problem is figuring out how best to deal with the Linux users who use Linux simply because of the all of the free software, the Linux users who happily pay but aren't gamers, and the Linux gamers who will happily pay for a good game (a much smaller crowd).

Give that man a cigar ;)

Its launching in a coouple other channels, we've done the linuxgames thing before though, its those experiences that lead me to any rant ;)

For now, enjoy, its fresh of hte presses and will be in a bunch of other places soon :)

And if you really want another game for Linux or Mac OS, we HAVE done this before, see my sig.

The Linux version of lore is on the GarageGames site or in Linspire CNR. Mac is only on GarageGames.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/29/
No signature.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Its launching in a coouple other channels, we've done the linuxgames thing before though, its those experiences that lead me to any rant ;)
If an experience with LG posters only leads you to a rant then I'd say that you got off pretty easy. ;)  And it probably didn't help a lot that Lore got something of a bashing from a well respect Linux game coder/developer.

I say screw it though, MGT makes good games.

Most Linux gamers tend not to hear about good games though, just really popular ones.  And unless it's published by LGP, and/or up on TuxGames for sale (for boxed copies anyway), many will just never know about them.  As a Linux gamer myself I know that I don't really go to GG to look at what's new that I might like.  Only if someone points out a particular game will I go take a look, as I have done for the half-dozen or so games that I've purchase through GG.  Unless it's on one of the two main gaming sites, or one of the main Linux game people (RyanG, StevenF, Sam, BillK, etc.) mention a game as something that they thought was particularly neat, then I don't tend to hear about it.  And I think it's that way for a lot of people.

Linux gaming is just still something of a (special) niche market, and marketing affectively to that audience is it's own niche.  I don't know that anyone has actually figured out to do it well yet though.  :)

Offline Inquisitor

GG is not a destination site for anyone, sadly. They just got it out first :)

Linspire is our real "linux" play, games we put there tend to do VERY well, comapratively.
No signature.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hey Inq - have you looked into XNA at all?