Author Topic: What do I need to download?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Crymson

• My MySpace.
What do I need to download?
Ahhh, awesome how there are all the downloads up there....But...What are they actually? I'm not a technical genius really so I need a little help.

But am I to understand that it may have actually been legal for me to download FreeSpace 2? Awesome, one less crime committed  :D (And for you nice folks at the United States Government I didn't mean I had downloaded illegal software..I meant...I umm...Smoke lots of pot, yeah...lots of it, thats a big crime there :D)

Anyways, so I have the 3 disc FreeSpace 2 already and I've downloaded nothing else for it...So now what do I need to download to continue enjoying this great game? I want the enchanced graphics thing (What was it? The Source Code Project I think?) And probably a new campaign made by the, what appears to be, great community here. But is there anything else I need to download? Like patches or something? And where would I get all this from?

Oh and man, bloody awesome game I say, I think Gamespot was right on with this one when they gave it a 9.4 I think it was. I was just reeallly starting to get into the game when I went boom :( Is it possible to make it out by the way? Or is there a condition to the end making sure you can't make it in 20 seconds?

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, and thanks in advance.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel of the German Wermacht.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: What do I need to download?
Use the standard launcher to upgrade to V1.2 if you haven't already. Then grab Turey's installer from the above sticky. It will do the rest.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

yes you can make it out of the supernova, you gotta stay close to the node around the time it goes off

Offline Crymson

• My MySpace.
yes you can make it out of the supernova, you gotta stay close to the node around the time it goes off

Ahh I see, does it then show a different ending?

And I see thank you, I checked and it was 1.2 >_< Which makes things a bit easier then :P

Edit: Wow....This appears to have been a lot easier than...well...it appeared  :nervous:

I guess it just looks daunting with all these different confusing names and what not :P What are Media VPs though?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:39:50 am by Crymson »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel of the German Wermacht.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
They contain the new models/effects/etc that make FS2 look prettier :)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Consider them a must if you have a system younger then 4 years old...

I get 30-60fps with the extremely-high detail stuff with a GeForce FX 5200... the only thing that slows it considerably is the high-detail explosions... but I am too stubborn to get rid of those because they're so pretty! Anyways... most people run with most everything on...
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

My computer is 3 years old and I can run everything maxed out and have perfect FPS.

Offline Crymson

• My MySpace.
Bleh, well, I got it. But it appears I'm plagued with constant game crashes. And there's these odd pinkish lines from ships to certain parts of my HUD....Though it appeared to be only for the TSM so idk. But I've yet to complete one mission due to the crashes(except the TSMs that is)

And the bug reporting website appears to be not working or something....so bleh >_<

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What are your PC's specs?

Offline Crymson

• My MySpace.
2 GHz Intel Celeron processor, 640 MB of RAM(I think), some crappy Intel integrated video card....So my computer isn't THAT great :P I still think it should be able to handle this.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I suspect the integrated video is the cause of your problems. The SCP minimum requirements are a graphics card that supports hardware transform and lighting and I suspect that your PC's integrated graphics don't do that.

The only advice I can give is to try it without the media VPs and see if you can find newer/better drivers that fix the problem.

Offline Crymson

• My MySpace.
Ahh...Well I guess I'm simply SOL now because I really don't think there are any new drivers, I've checked before. Thanks for the help though  :)