Author Topic: FS2open, Multiplayer, ... How to start?  (Read 3202 times)

FS2open, Multiplayer, ... How to start?
I have the original FS2 and want to play the multiplayer. PXO is dead, so I found this forum in the internet. I have no idea about all these threads and its contents in here. I know now that there is kind of "Open Source" Version of FS2 and Multiplayer might be possible with that. I tried this "FAQ" of "Multiplayer-thread" but which "build" shall I use "3.6.9 candidate "X" " ??? I often got the message "OpenAL32.dll not found" and "cannot read flag file". That confuses me because I haven't any knowledge about all these things... what can I do? How to start?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: FS2open, Multiplayer, ... How to start?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

Start there.

Although your problem is caused by a lack of a proper OpenAL installation it's likely that you've missed other things too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

thank you. seems to work for now.

I can't see any online game within the program. on the server fs2net-site I can see them. i have forwarded the right ports, my friends either. no one sees a game of the other. what is wrong?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Do you have 3.6.9 RC 7 or above (If you used the installer you do). If not get it (recent builds forum).

Otherwise you're not doing anything wrong. Most likely you're seeing games from the 303 squadron's games. They still play using 3.6.7 so you can't see their games in a much more modern version of FS2_Open. They should upgrade really. If I had more time I'd go explain to them exactly why. :)

I used the installer, my friends, too. 3 hour ago, I saw the games of my friend, but he didn't see mine. I joined and everything worked fine for a while. Than my system crashed, which is stable with most other programs including original FS2. Afterwards I couldn't see his games anymore. Soon, I will collapse...

one day later I saw the games of the others again. the next problem is, that it seems that the game is slower with my machine/dsl than with others because the moving of another pilot in the game was so quick that it couldn't be only because of his skills. seems more to be a little bucking system. I have a notebook with pentium M 1.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM and 64 MB VRAM. ADSL 2000. no media VPs installed yet. is that reasonable for the bucking?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Your VRAM is low but you shouldn't be getting errors cause of that. I suspect that it was just simply that there was lag on your connection.