Author Topic: Best joystick for FS2?  (Read 11311 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yes that is the secret to playing with the mouse :) After that, mouse is more accurate and fun to play with (i really don't mind the dragging and picking up), but you will forever run out of mousepad with fs2 :lol: That happens to me all the time :D I suggest you opt for a desk made out of mousepad, nerf, or ratpad, either one would be great to drag the mouse all over on and have more   mouserange in the game :nod: When it came down to things, it's not too much of a ***** staying confined to a ratpad (like i said i don't mind the *****y necessities of the mouse...drag drop, mousepad boundaries :D)
Any, i used to have a saitek p2xxx gamepad, i had 6 normal buttons, 2 joysticks (horribly confined in a square area of movement), 2 huge ass useless shoulder buttons, a dpad, and that dual function button that turns on a red led (which i used when i couldn't see in the dark). It's a good controller for emulation of console games, and that's about it, that thing i could just not make a good configuration in fs2 for it. If you get a saitek gamepad, at least get one that has the 4 shoulder buttons, those are extremely important, and then maybe that gamepad would be good in fs2.
One reason the xbox360 controller is the greatest gamepad in the world, is a little unsuspecting. It has awesome buttons, good grip and ergonomics, pc and mac compatibility as well as linux, awesomely positioned joysticks, digital shoulder buttons as well as analog. It's really nothing like how the ps controller is. The overall usability of the x360 pad is just awesome, it works great, after that i don't know how to explain it, there is an aspect to the controller people don't know how to put in words why it's so awesome.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 05:35:46 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline neoterran

Re: Best joystick for FS2?
Someone should talk to one of the developers that's more active (*cough*TAYLOR*cough*) about having Freespace Open display data for the X52 Pro's MFD (Multi Function Display).

1.) It's a premier stick used by enthusiasts
2.) It really is the prefered Joystick for this game
3.) It would be really cool to see Freespace2 stuff show up on that thing - make the game really feel more modern.

Since any work done to implement this would probably work with other Saitek Joysticks going forward, it might be cool.

*edit* the MFD glows either red, amber, or green. If this could programmatically be set, then imagine - Green for Terran ships, Amber for Zod Ships, and Red for Shivan ships (ie, the dragon / terran mara) !!!!  :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
That sounds cool.
For myself I have moved onto the logitech rumblepad 2 wireless gamepad. I was going to buy the saitek p2900, but all two reviews on the internet showed it off having very bad wireless connectivity, so i got a logitech which did have good wireless connectivity. Playing with the xbox360 controller was really nice, but if you install the microsoft 360 controller driver, it makes it so ****ing difficult to install the much better xbcd 360 driver. On top of that getting the 360 driver in linux to compile would not do so (i think that was on part of me owning the madcatz gamepad pro 360 controller). After that my friend who has an ibook who owns a 360 said he was having trouble making the macosx driver work for it (again i think it was the fact that it was a madcatz controller). All on part of the madcatz controller if you want to use xbcd 360 driver, you have to find the one from the user who has modified it for madcatz support (which was like only one person on some other site). Unless you have windows or an xbox360, it's a great controller to have, but from the way microsoft makes it only cooperate with XP and vista actually does get in the way (it's all part of that games for windows campaign..of which there is great hardware for, but made in such as truly only to work on xp, vista, and x360). The most ease with that controller was using win2k with the xbcd 360 drivers.

For now the rumblepad 2 wireless is awesome. And speaking of saitek controllers and joysticks, saitek loves to put blue and red leds on there ****, which is all cool and stuff, but just like MFD of the x52 how it changes red, amber, or green, that'd be cool just to have on any joystick or gamepad where the leds would change color depending on which species ship your flying.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I now use a PS2 pad, which pwns!! I used to use a Gravis Xterminator Gamepad which was cool but the PS2 pad has one extra button and one extra analogue stick which I have mapped to roll and throttle. SWEET!! :D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Speaking of programming joysticks for functions, does anyone else know the lacking ability of fs2 to map any other function to an axis. I've tried fs2 throttle on joystick that's when it gets too sensitive and goes up and down in speed too much when i just simply roll my fighter with the same stick. What i wish was the ability to map afterburners to an axis, then again, i want the ability to put any control in fs2 on an axis. My right joystick left-right is for rolling, all the way up brings my fighter to a stop, all the way down lets me use burners and still roll my fighter at the same time, and of course the joystick button is for max speed. I like my joystick to do all of that, and it's extremely useful, i can make the gay ass logitech profiler do that for me, but like i said ,it's gay, that **** even ****ed with my games.
Wobble if you love the ps2 pad so much, you should get a logitech rumblepad 2 wireless, it's fashioned after a ps2 pad, 100hours on 2 AA, 30 foot range, goes to sleep when not using it, and it's not sony.
Pretty much, its from a good brand, but saitek makes better **** than logitech, it's just that logitech made a much better wireless pad than saitek did, fashioned after the famous old ps2 pad (the ps2 pad and fashioning really is not that great), i can use this thing from wherever i want in my room and i'll  probably replace the batteries in about 2 months.

As for the natural ps2 pad, well, that's where the xbox360 controller isn't that much different and improves upon the ps2 pad. 2 of the damn shoulder buttons are analog, and the other 2 are digital....that's an improvement and feature addition over the ps2's 4 digital non analogue shoulder buttons (and that button mashing with a pressure sensor under the button is so cheesy and will make you buy newer controllers more often than you wish). The other feature was the repositioned primary joystick, the fact that it's above the dpad, and not all cramped to close to the middle of the gamepad like the ps2 pad. Anyway the 360 pad has those 2 improvements over the ps2 pad.

Another thing is that like i said it's sony. They're **** is designed to break down, overheat, and just plain old break after a certain period of time and average handling. If you have bought more than one ps2 console for yourself, plz do a good job thinking why people with an xbox or gamecube have not needed to buy a new one (most of the money from ps2's was from people replacing they're old ps2s). Also the ps2 game pad, intuitive, but just as deceivingly bad as the ps2 console, like i said that whole pressure sensor under the buttons to simulate a throttle axis on the ps2 pad, talk about unnecessary and a great way to wear the game pad down. It's one reason why microsoft with the normal xbox which had the same thing on it's gamepads removed that feature in the xbox360 controllers (it's just unnecessary).
I'm not *****ing here too much, i'm just saying it's smart to question whatever the hell you buy from sony. Sony products have a high reputation for breaking (and if you're **** didn't break then you're probably one of the few people in the world who actually takes care of their **** like my brother and his ps2 taking it out of a cabinet whenever he plays and being gentle with it). And don't forget other sony products, it's them who have put a rootkit that installs itself to your computer when you pop in a sony music cd (now you have to be careful listen to 50 cent).
Other than that ps2 is a fine console, it'd have an even higher user fanaticism going along with it if sony products were more reliable and not depending on the customer to go in and buy another and another to make money.

But the logitech rumblepad 2 wireless, with it's ps2'esque, the inner joysticks aren't too bad when you get use to them, then again this pad fits my medium sized hands great, but the primary joystick is something that could always be repositioned, and this pad is tons more comfortable than the ps2 pad. I remember my gravis xterminator gamepad, talk about awesome, that thing didn't even need a second joystick, that thing had the best shoulder buttons in the world, you could actually use them all with independent fingers at the same time. Plus the other thing was that it included everything that the expensive honking joysticks had like pov hat (it had a dpad and an itty-bitty 8 way pov hat too) and 2 analog shoulder buttons you could use as rudders or whatever.  WTH happened to gravis/kensington? I was considering getting another xterminator too.

SMBFD

I don't have much issue with pick up and drag on my mouse...  because it has programmable buttons.  I program two buttons to either up/down or left/right (pitch or yaw iirc).  Basically, I use the buttons to continue the motion when I pick up the mouse.

Lousy workaround?  Yup, but it works well enough.  It's too much hassle to pull out my old Sidewinder Precision joystick =/

Offline neoterran

It's true, it's all true, Sony's quality control sucks
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
This today also sony put up gran turismo 4 trailer on the psp, and all the trailer had was footage of project gotham racing 3. :lol:
And nothing new but was funny and rather sad that the ps3 doesn't have a 1080i/p upscaler built in. Which means playing a ps3 on your hd tv will really decide if your playing at 480i/p 720i/p and 1080i/p.

SMBFD

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I remember my gravis xterminator gamepad, talk about awesome, that thing didn't even need a second joystick, that thing had the best shoulder buttons in the world, you could actually use them all with independent fingers at the same time. Plus the other thing was that it included everything that the expensive honking joysticks had like pov hat (it had a dpad and an itty-bitty 8 way pov hat too) and 2 analog shoulder buttons you could use as rudders or whatever.  WTH happened to gravis/kensington? I was considering getting another xterminator too.

It's true what you say about the Gravis Xterminator, I still have mine but unfortunately have lost the USB converter that I got with it and therefore can no longer use it, (on my new computer, I still use it on my old that still has a gameport). But it is a great pad and I have had mine now for oohhh....6 or 7 years now! Button 1 (or button 0 in some games) is a little loose but then that is because it is the most used, it still works though, just too easily depressed.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Idk, go to amazon and like order another xterminator for like 10$ or a little more or something. There not that expensive.
After that, the gravis mapping software was really good, it's not all gay like logitechs, saitek has better joystick software, but they all require to be an active program in memory which isn't necessary for gravis software.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
When I had a gameport card, I used the Wingman Interceptor. 9 buttons, throttle, and 3 hat switches. I had omething mapped into all 8 directions of each hat switch- targeting (bomb, turret, subsystem, etc) on one, wing commands on another, other things on the third. Was splendid.
IIRC, you should be able to get a gameport -> USB converter for your stick inexpensively...