Author Topic: System Specs  (Read 3632 times)

Offline miskat

Alright... this is more out of curiousity than anything, but I'm starting to suspect something is wrong with my FS2_open setup because I keeps hearing people talking about the game being too intense for their systems with everything turned on.  Well... what kind of system are you using?  I have everything on and am getting the feeling that I'm missing something (not getting the best quality I can be) since I'm showing no slowdown at all.  >.<  EVERYTHING on.  >.<

Is it cause I'm running FSPort?  O.o

I have a 2.4ghz/HT Pentium 4
NVidia FX5200
1gb DDR333 RAM

I dunno... I have the mv_adveffects and its 710 patch, and every freakin option I can find on.  I even tried throwing the 32 bit textures flag on and it didn't change anything.

Any insight?

Offline Goblix

That system will run it fine, i used to have the exact same thing, anyway, do you have the 3.6.8 mediaVPs? and use openGL mode i would also recommend lightspeeds nebulea pack

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Which FSO build are you using?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline miskat

I'm using the 3.6.9 CVS build that MadProf posted in the voice recognition thread.  Yes, all 3.6.8 MediaVPs and the -710 patches.  ^^;;;

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Is it cause I'm running FSPort?  O.o

Open the FS1 Port folder and look for a mod.ini file. If you don't have one that's why you're not having issues. Without one FS2_Open won't use the media VPs unless you manually entered the mod line instead of clicking on the mod button in the launcher. That means you're using all the original retail models and effects. Unsurprisingly the resources for a 7 year old game don't strain your PC much.

Setting up a mod.ini is simple. You can add more features by looking in my FAQ's guide on how to install mods but at the most basic all you need is a text file in your FS1 Port folder called mod.ini with these lines in it.

Code: [Select]
[multimod]
secondarylist = MediaVPs;
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline miskat

Got the mod.ini set up too.  Actually, I just recently reverted everything back to "retail" to see the REAL difference... and... WOW.

Fighting alongside the Galatae for the last time in Doomsday just doesn't compare... it's way way too cool in SCP.  Whoever is responsible for revamping the er... leviathan class destroyer... and glowmaping it... you're a GOD.

Anyway.  XD  I dunno... I just figured I should be having more difficulty running this thing... I mean... my video card kinda sucks.  >.<  It's even an economy edition version of the FX5200.  XD

*shrug*  I'm really happy either way.  Just trying to maximize the eye candy.  You all put a lot of work into  it... I wanna see!  =D

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
My very first card on my actual PC was a 5200 (now I've got a 7800GS). With the exception of hard battles with a lot of ships or maybe adveffects, FSOpen isn't really spec hungry. But in this kind of missions you are going to suffer. Even my 7800 sometimes drops to 15-20 fps.

I've got a P4 2.8 GHz + 1.5 GB RAM.

For a stress test, you can check "Rites of Passage" or "The Stars are Right" within Derelict MOD.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Run the debug build and post the first 20 lines of fs.log for me. That will show me exactly what VPs it's finding.

Offline miskat

Might be a little more than you asked for, but it seemed like relevant information:

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 
  -spec_static 0.4
  -spec_point 1.0
  -spec_tube 1.0
  -2d_poof
  -alpha_env
  -ambient_factor 
  -env
  -jpgtga
  -mipmap
  -missile_lighting
  -glow
  -nomotiondebris
  -spec
  -no_emissive_light
  -ballistic_gauge
  -dualscanlines
  -orbradar
  -rearm_timer
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -warp_flash
  -snd_preload
  -voicer
  -mod fsport,mediavps
Building file index...
Searching root 'C:\freespace2\fsport\'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport-fs1_training.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport-glow.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport-hi_res.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport-missions.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport-shine.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\fsport3_0_4.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\sparky_hi_fs1.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\stu_fs1.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\tango_fs1.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\fsport\warble_fs1.vp'
Searching root 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\LightspeedFS2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mp-710_adveffects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mp-710_effects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mp-710_models.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_adveffects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_core.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_effects.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_models.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_music.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\mediavps\mv_textures.vp'
Searching root 'C:\freespace2\'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\root_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\smarty_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\sparky_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\stu_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\tango1_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\tango2_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\tango3_fs2.vp'
Searching root pack 'C:\freespace2\warble_fs2.vp'
Found 32 roots and 15014 files.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Fair enough. It's definitely loading everything. I guess the gods of computing just like you :D

Either that or something in the FS1 port is overriding the really taxing files. Either way if you're still having no problems when you start playing FS2 instead of the port consider yourself lucky :)

Offline miskat

I dunno about lucky.  XD

I'm a sucker for eye-candy and if this game is actually going to LOOK BETTER than what I've seen so far... well... wow.

I've always been impressed with Freespace's graphics, especially at the computing cost, but hell... FS_open just takes it to a whole new level.  Thumbs up!   :yes: :yes:

[plug] Just beat the first FS campaign for the first time in the port... that last mission is one helluva vertigo inducer!  Holy hell.... [/plug]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I dunno about lucky.  XD

I'm a sucker for eye-candy and if this game is actually going to LOOK BETTER than what I've seen so far... well... wow.

I've always been impressed with Freespace's graphics, especially at the computing cost, but hell... FS_open just takes it to a whole new level.  Thumbs up!   :yes: :yes:

[plug] Just beat the first FS campaign for the first time in the port... that last mission is one helluva vertigo inducer!  Holy hell.... [/plug]

One thing about your flags. -ambient_factor NEEDS a value. Otherwise is useless. I suggest you low values (40-60) for dark realistic space, although ships can be a bit hard to see. And NEVER disable -no_emissive_light.

Nevertheless, as you can imagine, these are just my preferences...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline miskat

my -ambient_factor flag does have a vlaue... 0... dunno why it's not showing up there.  =/

And I dunno... just seems really cool to have a very dark and realistic look to everything.  Makes flying around your wingmates exciting.  XD