Author Topic: Consilii  (Read 26750 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Suggestions? Here you are!
Arrival locations of ships or wings relative to the coords of other objects.

Using number variables to change the wave delay of wings(good)...the same for events.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Arrival locations of ships or wings relative to the coords of other objects.

To be honest I think allowing the user to move waypoints and set the arrival location based on that would be the easier thing to do as it wouldn't require GUI changes. This is now on the list of things to do. Unfortunately it's a long list.

Using number variables to change the wave delay of wings(good)...the same for events.

*Karajorma daydreams about replacing every instance of parse_int() in missionparse.cpp with parse_int_or_variable()*

This is actually one of those cases where people should ask for the effect that they want not how they think it should be implemented.  :)  Setting the delay between waves based on a SEXP variable would be an incredibly complex thing to do. I'd have to add code to parse in the number variable correctly, I'd have to change the GUI to deal with variables and I'd have to get FRED to correctly save those changes. Since you no doubt want to be able to change the wave delay during the mission rather than just at mission load I'd have to come up with a system for doing that too. We're talking about hours if not days of programming.

or

I could add and test a sexp to do it in 30 minutes. :D

As for altering the delay between events I think

Event Name <----------------- suitable repeat count and delay
when
->
-- +
---LastEventTime[0]
---VariableDelay[1]
--mission-time
-Do-whatever
-modify-variable
--LastEventTime[0]
--mission-time

or some variant of it is much easier to understand than any amount of faffing about with the delay value.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:04:04 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How about changing the engine thrusters on multi-engine ships so that each engine glow corresponds with the subsystem integrity of each engine?  ie, currently, if engine01 gets destroyed, it still burns on; next you take out engine02, still you have three engines burning, and finally, when the last one is destroyed, they all go out at once.  I'd like to see the engines go out as they are each destroyed/disabled.

While I'm on that thought, what about the possibility of changing the engine glow to off, or to a very, very faint glow (think 15 watt incandescent bulb compared to a 150 watt) when the throttle is at zero?

What do you guys think?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How about fixing the AI so that disabled fighters actually CALL SUPPORT.. :lol:

Seriously, I was just playing some campaign a hour ago and my whole wing got disabled..they just sat there during the whole mission while I was busy blasting shivans...sheesh.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
How about fixing the AI so that disabled fighters actually CALL SUPPORT.. :lol:

Seriously, I was just playing some campaign a hour ago and my whole wing got disabled..they just sat there during the whole mission while I was busy blasting shivans...sheesh.
Very true and very irritating.  Please fix.  :)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
How about changing the engine thrusters on multi-engine ships so that each engine glow corresponds with the subsystem integrity of each engine?  ie, currently, if engine01 gets destroyed, it still burns on; next you take out engine02, still you have three engines burning, and finally, when the last one is destroyed, they all go out at once.  I'd like to see the engines go out as they are each destroyed/disabled.

While I'm on that thought, what about the possibility of changing the engine glow to off, or to a very, very faint glow (think 15 watt incandescent bulb compared to a 150 watt) when the throttle is at zero?

What do you guys think?

Actually this is possible to do already now.. Using separate engine submodels as subsystems like the mediavp GTCv Deimos does.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Actually this is possible to do already now.. Using separate engine submodels as subsystems like the mediavp GTCv Deimos does.
So you'd have to redo the model for every multi-engine ship in the vps?  There's no way to get the engine to work on the current ones?  Waaaa!  Although, I'll have to try that out on the Deimos... thx  :)

I've run into an odd effect.  I have extract a sound from Heretic as a wav, I'm currently using it as a plasma turret sound.  The turret has swarm 3. The sound effects from shots get cut off as the next shot is fired.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Scoring or a way to count defensive things like bomb kills and asteroid defense.  Currently there is no way I know of to award a player for shooting down incoming warheads instead of getting kill happy.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I said this before.. Ejection Pods.

In the Edit Ship you could add another bottun called Ejection/Escape Pod. When you click it you get a window where you select the pof model to be used for it and the ejection normal (from the center of the ship to where).
An when the fighter in question goes *booom* a pod named <fightername> escape/pod jets out :D

Offline neoterran

I said this before.. Ejection Pods.

In the Edit Ship you could add another bottun called Ejection/Escape Pod. When you click it you get a window where you select the pof model to be used for it and the ejection normal (from the center of the ship to where).
An when the fighter in question goes *booom* a pod named <fightername> escape/pod jets out :D

And you can shoot it for extra points !
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Now, now, would that be in accordance with BETAC?  :D

Offline CaptJosh

The main use of this would be for WCS, but ejecting around the Kilrathi probably isn't a good idea.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Now, the main use for this would be to have wingman that survive without it looking stupid...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
How about a "sucker" missile like the Black Shark in D3?

Missile flies, either detonate at max range or remote detonate, initial damage-causing explosion/shockwave (can be turned or off if need be to skip to suction immediately), gravity suction effect begins, then everything either gets sucked to it and disappears forever, or gets pushed out with a mega-damaging explosion after getting sucked in...

Me wonders how the Armageddon bomb in INF R1 would fare against capships with this sucker behaviour... maybe make the suction effect scalable too, so that if it's an ultra-heavy anti-cap weapon, capships can also get sucked in, but at a slow rate initially... (speed increases the more it gets sucked in)

Got influenced after watching an old show with a similar weapon... well actually I have another suggestion of my own right now but I'll save that for another time... :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Now, the main use for this would be to have wingman that survive without it looking stupid...
seconded

Offline n0s

• happy to have FS2O
would be nice, if u could review the mission objectives during the mission (the last page of the briefing)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Press F4 in-game.

EDIT: Just realized:

:necro:

But that's ok, the topic is still valid, I guess.  Right?  :nervous:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:23:53 am by jr2 »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Necromancy, eh? :nod:

Thanks, anyways. I will translate the title of this thread, I don't like Barba...ehm, English. :lol:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Thanks, anyways. I will translate the title of this thread, I don't like Barba...ehm, English. :lol:

Which basically makes the thread useless as a suggestions thread.

So locked.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]