Author Topic: REQUEST: Voice acting!  (Read 74886 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
REQUEST: Voice acting!
With the Prologue campaign finished, we're need more voices to round out our voice talent. Previous voice work for another mod is preferred, but not required. Candidates should be serious and be able to sound like someone in their 20s. Openings are for miscellaneous ships and roles, with a strong emphasis on Confed fighter pilots.

We're also auditioning for a few major roles in the campaign, candidates must sound like an older person in their 30s to 50s

To become a candidate for this process, reply to this thread to officially let us know and then PM or email to [email protected] for more information.

Then try your luck on these 26 lines. Voice recording should be done in 44 khz mono. I shouldn't say this, but you guys need your own microphone. Please make sure to eliminate breathing into microphone sounds.

You are free to say your interpretation of the theme as long as it doesn't deviate too far.

1) "All fighters are destroyed, area is secure"
2) "Enemy fighters have arrived"
3) "I'm attacking your target"
4) "We're the backup and we've arrived to save your ass"
5) "Bravo Wing here, we've just arrived"
6) "There's a fighter on your six!"
7) "I'm dying!"
8) "Charlie Wing here, we've just arrived"
9) "I'm getting the hell out of here"
10) "I'm disabling your target" (going for engines)
11) "I'm disarming your target" (going for turrets)
12) "I'm breaking formation to engage enemy"
13) "Delta Wing here, we've just arrived"
14) "Echo Wing has arrived"
15) "I'm taking damage"
16) "I'm ignoring your target"
17) "I'm not following your order"
18) "I can't pick up your target on sensors"
19) "You just fired on me, man"
20) "Main player has been killed!"
21) "Main player just did something cool!"
22) "I'm out of missiles!"
23) "My fighter is heavily damaged"
24) "Main player is straying away from objective"
25) "Main player is traitor, off with his head!"
26) "I'm following your order"

The guys with the best "comm voices" gets the fighter pilot roles, but there is a strong chance that the people not selected for this role will be delegated for other roles as well, they are as equally important.

Please keep in mind: these are only guidelines. The lines are provided to give you an idea of what a character might say in a given situation. To give flavor to the voice acting each character should develop personalized versions of these lines. The critical thing is that the INTENT of the message remains the same. This is your opportunity to make the part you are playing your own. Be creative and have fun!

#Messages Examples
For each of these message types (ALL CLEAR, ARRIVAL, etc.) you will need to record one or more personalized lines. The lines given are only suggestions.

;; ALL CLEAR .............................................................. ....................

Area's clean, we can relax a bit
The area's clear of hostiles, waiting on you
That's every last one of them, checked out pernamently.
All enemies are destroyed. Area is secure.
All enemy forces have been neutralized.

;; ARRIVAL (Enemy) .............................................................. .....

Alright, incoming! time to up my kill stats.
Enemy fighters on approach! Get ready.!
The Kats are having a party, let's crash it.
Bad guys are here. Time to climb the killboard.
IFF confirmed! Hostiles inbound!

;; ATTACK MY TARGET .............................................................. .............

Got it, consider that one dead.
Understood, engaging your target.
 He's about to meet his maker.
No problem. Consider that one history.
Roger that. Engaging your target!

;; BACKUP ARRIVAL (previously named "REINFORCEMENTS") .........................................

You can stop ****ting yourselves ladies, backup's here.
Support is here, just hold on tight!
Backup arriving. Let's finish them off
The cavalry is here, ready to save your backsides.
Reinforcements here. Standing by for orders.

;; BETA WING ARRIVAL .............................................................. ............

Bravo wing here, you can relax now.
This is Bravo Wing, we're closing on your location
Bravo Wing here, we're on station
Bravo wing here. Now you can take it easy.

;; CHECK YOUR SIX .............................................................. ...............

Careful, you've got a guy on your tail!
What are you doing, man? Check your six!
Watch your backside. You have got a guy following you! Watch out, there's a guy on your six!
Watch your backside. You have got a guy following you!
Check your six!

;; DEATH (previously wingman scream)...................................................

Pulling the cord, wish me luck!
Everything's gone! Can't hold it! I am bailing out!
If you can’t take the hit, pop the top. I am out of here!!!
Systems failing… reactor critical… I am punching the hell out!!!
I'm hit....
They got me....Aaargh !
Noooooooh!
I am going down, I am going do...!
I'm going up. Noooooh..!
I'm going down! I'm going down!

;; DELTA WING ARRIVAL .............................................................. ...........

Charlie wing here, did we miss anything?
This is Charlie Wing, we have just arrived.
Charlie Wing here, what do you want from us
Charlie wing here. Where is the party?

;; DEPART (previously named "WARPOUT") ........................................................

This is too hot even for me, I'm outta here!
Sandman, don't do anything foolish. The area's too hot
I'm getting the hell out of here. See ya.
I am out of here!
Acknowledged. Returning to base now.

;; DISABLE TARGET .............................................................. ...............

Sitting ducks do make the best targets
Roger that, I am going after their engines
Those engines make for a damn nice target.
Disabling as ordered
I copy that. Disabling your target now

;; DISARM TARGET .............................................................. ................

Consider that one declawed.
Copy that, I am taking out the turrets.
I'm going to skin this kat from head to toe
Declawed and defanged they shall be

;; ENGAGE ENEMY .............................................................. .................

If you'll excuse me, I have some wreckage to make
Ninja: Understood, I am breaking formation
These guys are going to wish they never met me.
Engaging enemy now. Watch out for flying debris
Engaging enemy now.

;; EPSILON ARRIVAL .............................................................. ..............

Delta wing here, got anything interesting?
Delta Wing is here, so where you want us?
Delta Wing here, standing by for orders.
Delta wing here. Ready for action!

;; GAMMA ARRIVAL .............................................................. ................

Echo wing is here and ready to work
Echo wing here. You can go take your nap now
Echo Wing here, standing by
Echo wing here.

;; HELP (REDUDANT TO ASSIST??) .............................................................. ..

I'm taking more than my fair share of fire here!
Major Baws: I have seen better days!
Okay furball, yer starting to piss me off
Under heavy fire, take some of this heat off!
Get this bandit off me!

;; IGNORE TARGET .............................................................. ................

I don't really feel like shooting that guy.
Copy that, I am backing off your target. Have fun.
If you say so
Copy that, I am backing off your target. Have fun
I hope you know what you're doing.

;; NEGATIVE REPLIES .............................................................. .............

Assassin: Hmmmmm... No.
Ehh... Can you repeat that order please?
You can take that request and shove it.
Might be nice for somebody else to do

;; NO TARGET .............................................................. ....................

Are you sure? It's not on my scope!
I do not see it. Maybe it is out of range for me
Sorry, but my sensors aren't showing ****.
I do not see it.

;; Oops 1 (Player "accidentally" fires upon friendly ..........................................

Hey watch it, or I'll return the favor!
Hey! Watch your fire, man!
That weapon is for the enemy, not me, pal!
What the hell are you doing?
That weapon is for the enemy, pal!
You got a problem with your IFF? Whose side are you on, pilot?

;; PLAYER KILLED (previously "player died")...........................................

Sandman's down. Repeat, Sandman is down!
No! Damn! Sandman is down! I repeat, Sandman is down! Rest in peace, man
Hermes Control, Sandman is history. I repeat, Sandman is history.
Another rookie bites the dust!

;; PRAISE .............................................................. .......................

Great job, kid. I'm really impressed
You have got guts, but save some targets for the rest of us!
Wow, I'm impressed
Great job, I'm impressed
That's a confirmed kill!

;; REARM .............................................................. ........................

I'm all out of missiles now
I'm out of missiles, might as well start throwing rocks at the bastards!
That was my last missile. Time to reload!

;; REPAIR .............................................................. .......................

One or two more hits and I'll have to take my chance with the vacuum!
My steed is in serious need of repair!
I took some nasty hits. Life just got more interesting.
I'm pretty banged up here, I can barely hold her together!

;; STRAY .............................................................. ..............

Sandman, get your ass over here!
Sandman, what do you think you are you doing? Go after the objective!
Hey Sandman, get back here. Where you going?
Sandman, you want to help us out on this mission?
You know where you're going?

;; TRAITOR .............................................................. .............

Sorry Sandman, but you obviously like them more than us. Time to die!
I am really sorry you made this choice, Sandman. Now you gonna have to die
Sandman's a traitor! Prepare to die!
Sandman, I guess you don’t like playing on our side. Got to take you out!
See you in hell, Sandman!

;; YES .............................................................. .................

Understood, I am following your orders.
Will comply, out!
Yeah, sure.
Roger!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:24:29 pm by Tolwyn »
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Buzz

Re: REQUEST: Voice acting!
Just a clarification: Do you guys need female voices as well or is this an all-macho show? ;)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Do you guys need female voices? ;)

Of course ;)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
A good female voice actress would be greate to have. Could be more IMO ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Buzz

I won't have time till next monday, but I'll definitely give it a try ;) What kind of recording tool do you recommend? Preferably shareware! ;)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Goldwave

-WC Saga's beta tester

I'm still here.

44kHz mono, I'm assuming that's a wav file? 16 bit?

And speak with some inflection people! No offense, but Baws sounds like he's an easy chair.

Actually, the orginal Freespace didn't use the most inspired sounding voice talent either, but you have to blame the producer for that.

And here's a mic to look at. You can find crappy headset mics that cost more than this one. Get a stand and a pop filter and you're there.

I know many more techniques...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:10:46 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline KeldorKatarn

Hi, I am also interested :)

Ah, what the hell. Even if I'm only a wee 16, everyone mistakes me for my 60-some dad on the phone. Might as well, y'know? =/

I apologize in advance if it sucks so bad, you attempt to pull an Oedipus on your ears.

*goes off to wonder exactly how to make himself sound older*

...oh, just curious. I noticed that WCS seemed rather PG, but some of your lines here seem rather PG-13. I'm assuming that we're not to drop the F-bomb at all (before you get a bad impression of me, no, I don't swear incessantly; I'm one of the few online teens who knows how to swear tactfully), but how lenient are you on this? Basic mid-level PG-13, I'm guessing?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:33:59 pm by DrewToby »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll be more than happy to audition, just as soon as I get over this cold I picked up today. :p

I haven't tried before, but in case a give it a shot...

I'm from Greece and most likely I'll have a bit of an accent (no, not the usual greek to english one :P), can I still try?

edit: And another question, do we have to say these lines exactly as written, or can we give it some more colour?

You know, like in Wing Commander that each pilot had his own way of saying things. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:11:22 am by Ghost Rider LSOV »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
And another question, do we have to say these lines exactly as written, or can we give it some more colour?

You know, like in Wing Commander that each pilot had his own way of saying things. :)

Yes.

Btw, you could compress your files as well. (MP3, 128 kbs). And please put everything into one archive.

-WC Saga's beta tester

22) "I'm out of missiles!"

One question about that line: Wouldn't it be better if the pilots said something along the lines of "I'm Winchester missiles"?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
you are free to alter lines as long as they do not deviate far :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

...oh, just curious. I noticed that WCS seemed rather PG, but some of your lines here seem rather PG-13. I'm assuming that we're not to drop the F-bomb at all (before you get a bad impression of me, no, I don't swear incessantly; I'm one of the few online teens who knows how to swear tactfully), but how lenient are you on this? Basic mid-level PG-13, I'm guessing?

Actually Wing Commander 3 and 4 were certificate 15 in the UK, which is above a 12 rating. And so would be considered an R rated movie had it actually been one in the states.  So I dont think it matters much. Though I dont think you should say "fuck", as there were only I think 1 instance in Wing Commander where I heard anyone say that.  :)

Ed

Offline Cirdec_aka_Ace

• Veteran pilot
Greetings.
I'd be pleased to help you this way. I'm a french amateur comedian who's been playing on scenes for 5 years now, and I've made another candidature for the BSG Beyond The Red Line mod (don't know if they've chosen me, though). Even if I'm not native english speaker, I think my accent isn't too bad...but be prepare to tiny original pronounciations. Anyway, let me know if it'd be ok.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
just send in your samples. WC universe isn't just "pure american", if you get my meaning :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Indeed, the international flavor adds to the futuristic feeling, the premise being that by that point we will have all learned to "just get along".

Hey, maybe we can get one of the characters to call you "Frenchie".

Offline Cirdec_aka_Ace

• Veteran pilot
Hey, why not ^^ It could be something interesting to work on. We'll let the Devs decide :P