Author Topic: The New Parallax Online?  (Read 10946 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Re: The New Parallax Online?
Lightspeed had some really ****y ideas for its upgrade. While I don't know if it would be possible, when the time comes, I can throw you the big thing and you can see if it's do-able. It would more or less make the multiplayer part an MMO of sorts, without actually changing that much, as far as I understood it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I wouldn't mind taking a look at that myself.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

[Poinless plug for product]I dont get why you guys are bringing back something long dead when there already is a working replacement there. Its pointless....

www.teamwars.org[/plug]

Fixed that for you >.<
If the people want cake, let them eat cake >.>

Sorry, I was 3/4 out of my mind at the time >.<
Appologies to DW, and as to an MMO... Well... It might work *shrugs*

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
In it being persistent and non-repetitive. That's what I meant by MMO-like. No fees and the bad **** usually associated with MMO's.

I've played A LOT of Squad Wars back in my day, and while they had awesome aspects to it, there were some really bad ones too.

When we got the code my ideas were more towards fixing the bad stuff that I saw could be fixed, however Lightspeed took it a notch farther and actually sort of came up with a system that would keep things always interesting. Unfortunately that never happened because Killjoy has a very hectic and very busy life, and when it was apparent it wasn't gonna happen, the code was passed on to Taylor and another guy from the Descent community (because they're on PXO infrastructure as well, and could benefit from the fix - they went down when we did) , who had the time to work with it.

Ah, sounds great to me. Heck, even if there WAS a fee... An MMO in the Freespace universe... I would pay to play for SURE!

Offline xgmx

• lol fake user
    • Descent Energy
oh god lock this topic now please.

hamachi leaves your computer open to viruses and hackers

Offline Shade

Why lock it? It's already 4 months old and quite dead. Well, it was until you bumped it out of the depths of oblivion, at least. And especially, given your stated reason, why lock it when 90% of the thread concerns the eventual return of PXO, invalidating any reason to use Hamachi in the first place?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
(I know, the thread is old.)

I've just gotten around to using it myself (with a friend I personally know, so he's where I'm at) and got far better ping times in a good number of games, FS2O included, compared to FS2NetD connections.

It's probably better to use FS2NetD when the players are scattered all over the globe, but I think Hamachi's a better option if the other party isn't far away. Not to mention my friend's behind a firewall he has no control over. :sigh: I am aware that Hamachi can be a bit screwy at times though.

I'm not really in favour of PXO tbh, but then again I'm not a multiplayer sort of guy. If only FS2NetD could remain... oh well. :doubt:

Just my thoughts on it, hope no one minds. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Hmmmmm. Takashi has a title "Worse than Cobra" If xgmx carries on this way he's gonna get the title "Worse than Takashi"  :doubt:  :rolleyes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm not really in favour of PXO tbh, but then again I'm not a multiplayer sort of guy. If only FS2NetD could remain... oh well. :doubt:

If you don't play online why would you care one way or the other?  :confused:

Offline Dysko

Actually asyikarea51 plays multi, he was on my wing in a TvT. He is only a sporadic user (like me :nervous: )
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Yeah, and I brought a friend along, the same guy who tests my mod out - he was the one who came across the missing weapons issue.

(That reminds me, sorry for never posting the error in Mantis. The old computer's gone and I've kinda forgotten the issue already. Still, sacrificing one respawn is bothersome, but then again my only test mission has the respawn count set at 99 so it should be okay FTTB.)

Also, another drawback of Hamachi is that I can't force FS2O to a certain port through the Launcher - I end up getting error messages saying my network adapters can't be detected.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Dysko

Also, another drawback of Hamachi is that I can't force FS2O to a certain port through the Launcher - I end up getting error messages saying my network adapters can't be detected.
That's strange... I used Hamachi some times for multi matches, and it worked fine.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Not sure about that, but the moment I removed the numbers from the "Force local port" textbox, I got a connection.

When I had numbers there, the problem persisted regardless of the connection type set ingame, be it via IP or to FS2NetD.

Hmm, I should go try something when my friend's online again...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

You shouldn't be forcing a local port without a very good reason anyway. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm... I just d'led Allegiance (from Microsoft, they released it open source) and it looks quite interesting.  What are you people's thoughts on a mod of sorts for FS that would be sort of like Allegiance?  (Take a look, it's only 70 MB to d'l... just don't mix different user accounts on one compy, it's coded not to like that.)

The reason I bring this up is because I think such a mod or whatever might give FS a popularity boost.. Allegiance looks like it's quite a success.  (IDK, I haven't finished all the training missions yet, but I think I will by tomorrow... also, if you take a look at Allegiance, I think they ripped a lot of the interface styling from FS, as well as some of key mapping!)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I looked at that game, but a first glance at the FAQ suggests something very demanding. I know, I know, one always has to dig deeper to find that trove, but there's always times when first impressions and ease of use and understanding matters.

How should I put it, umm... on the topic of an MMO-ish FS? Sure, some hardcore players would gladly raise their hands, but at the same time don't neglect the casual ones who would play the game once or twice a month because they lead more... "interesting" lives. (It'd suck to fly around for fun with a couple of friends you personally know, taking on NPCs and stuff in a mid-high ping environment, only to get shot down for no good reason whatsoever... :shaking:)

Something easy to jump into, basically what FS has been. My friend still can't fly very well, but at least he can fly and take simple evasive actions.

(sorry OFT: what's IDK? :doubt:)

edit @ karajorma: Point taken. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:43:03 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

(sorry OFT: what's IDK? :doubt:)

IDK = I Don't Know
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmph.  There isn't a requirement to put a certain amount of playing hours in or anything, is there?  I mean, anybody that's into flight / space combat simulators aught to be able to adapt well enough to be an asset, even if they only play a few times a month.  Why would someone have to play more often than he wanted to?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I would like to test out my "skills" against other people. I have a fear I'll be shot down a hundred times before I can get a single kill... oh well I'll do multiplayer sometime within the next 2 years or so. You got time, guys!
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.