Author Topic: See, even UGO agrees  (Read 4234 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Originally posted by mikhael:
This is EXACTLY where we disagree. I find the physics are what make the game so much fun. I don't ever feel like I'm not moving, unless--get this--I'm not moving.

Have you ever played Warhead on the amiga or ST? It was written by one of the programmers of I-war and although of course the graphics are poor compared with I-war it's better in many ways  
 Warhead is basically the combat bits of I-war without any of the trading or errand runnng.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by karajorma:
Have you ever played Warhead on the amiga or ST? It was written by one of the programmers of I-war and although of course the graphics are poor compared with I-war it's better in many ways  
 Warhead is basically the combat bits of I-war without any of the trading or errand runnng.
I never touched a computer until I went to college in 92, and even then it was a DEC 5000 unix terminal, so that's a no.

On the other hand, that's pretty cute. The command section in Iwar2 is called 'Warhead'.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Poumpoumpoum  
i like the two games, and I don't prefer any of them  
FS2 is better for a quick, full of adrenaline game, with intensive and fast dogfights. Iwar2, on the other hand, requires strategy, and it has this freedom that I just can't get bored of.
About modding, I guess shrike's right. After looking quickly at it, everything possible in FS2, with tweaking or not, is possible with Iwar2 ( save the beams it seems). I think Iwar2 modding potential will be unequalled, but as one would say: wait and see  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I'll say this for I-War- better ship balancing. The few ships that were much bigger than a tug you simply could not take on alone without a lot of skill- the destructive and defensive capabilities went up proportionately. However, most of these things have to do with modding- I have already changed FreeSpace's relative imbalance with some mods, and I'm not the only one toning down fighters and toning up destroyers. Make I-War moddable and open to development, you've got an excellent engine, but the only fundamental differences are the newer engine and freeform gameplay- and the second has its ups and downs.

I won't argue this any further, since it's really a rather trivial clash of little-substantiated opinions...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
You think the ships in Iwar are balanced? I think the player ships are ridiculously overpowered, even when let the computer use player weapons (like full speed gatling cannons).

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I like both.  They are both really fun and you can mod them both.  FS is coming of age though, but don't worry.

Code: [Select]
//Surrender_Belisarius.pog

And Ace, the thing with the nebulas, the last mission in IW2 is in a nebula.. and farking impossible if you don't know what you're doing.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by PhReAk:
I like both.  They are both really fun and you can mod them both.  FS is coming of age though, but don't worry.

Code: [Select]
//Surrender_Belisarius.pog

And Ace, the thing with the nebulas, the last mission in IW2 is in a nebula.. and farking impossible if you don't know what you're doing.[/b]

That's like many missions tho: if you know what to do, it's easier than the first mission   I didn't lose a single hp in that mission, once I played it right.
hmm, yeah, that red nebula. Well, there's effrit too, and I bet the last mission nebula is not unlimited. Gonna have to try an LDS jump outside of it to see how it looks like from outside  

SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Originally posted by mikhael:
On the other hand, that's pretty cute. The command section in Iwar2 is called 'Warhead'.

That will be due to Glyn Williams I`m sure. He wrote warhead and was also involved in I-war 2  
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]