Author Topic: The Hades-class destroyer  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: The Hades-class destroyer
The Aeshma doesn't even have afterburner, IIRC. It may.

AFAIK there are a number of ships the shivans have that dont have afterburners.

What does IIRC and AFAIK mean ?

Damn you and you're secret forum speech terms  :hopping:

IIRC = I don't know someone else take this one.

AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

Answer to where you can get FS1 and Silent Threat:

The Freespace Port

Essentially install it as you would any other FS2 mod. Contains all the original sounds, voices, missions, etc. I heard talk somewhere that the Port team subtly altered some parts of the story... but I've never seen evidence to support it. (One thing they mentioned was not having the Vasudan Ace appear, but he did appear on my copy so... *shrugs*).

Do not get your hopes up about Silent Threat though. I can hardly believe it came out of the same team that made FS1/FS2. Two good things were in it though: the Hades and the M10 music.  :)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
IIRC = I don't know someone else take this one.

IIRC, it's "If I Recall Correctly"  :P
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Ah. I'd always wondered about that one.  :nod:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nuclear1

Maybe someone should make a FS2 campaign about a new Hades or something like that.

Personally, i reckon the Hades would've made a good flagship for the NTF.

Except that the Hades isn't what the NTF needed.  The Iceni was built to be a quick-jumping, fast-moving vessel that could easily evade larger forces, whereas the Hades was built simply to destroy anything and everything in its path.  While the ETAK technology may have been useful in the Hades, it is assumed that Bosch had no intention of eradicating the GTVA, but merely getting his plan in action.  For that, of course, he would need a fast ship, hence the Iceni.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

i think the hades would have been a good OMGWTF class cruiser if it had harder engines, and fs2 aaa beams.  the collie is still better, but think how many hades could have been made in the time between fs1 and fs2, if 1 hades can be made in the time between fs1 and silent threat.  IMO the collective firepower of those hades would outweigh the collie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:48:07 pm by FS2_playa613 »

maneuverable ? pfffft. Look at the Basilisk or Aeshma (i think thats how its spelt) . I dont know what class of fighters they are (Heavy assault), but they fly like a retarded seagull.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
You know, I just had a thought reading this thread:

Perhaps the reason the Hades wasn't rebuilt was because it COULDN'T be rebuilt.

Think on this for a moment:  What if under all that armor, there was a Shivan ship?  The GTI didn't build the damn thing in the first place, they just referbished a Shivan vessel (or parts from a Shivan vessel) into what we call the Hades.  Perhaps they managed to get a power core from a Demon, or hull plates, or something.  At it's heart, the Hades was Shivan, and they couldn't replicate it again.  That would explain why we don't see the Hades again.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Alternate theory:

We don't know how long it took the GTI to build Hades. Silent Threat was... a couple months after the end of FS1, right? The GTI probably had been building the Hades for a very long time before FS1 ended. They could have grafted the Shivan tech on later, after meeting the Shivans. They may even have been researching the Shivans before the GTA at large discovered them. After all, there were rumors of "phantom ships" attacking Riviera Station long before the Shivans made themselves known to the Alliance at large. What did Command do? Probably under orders from GTI, they tried to quash the rumors.

I think the GTI Rebellion was in the works for a long time before the Great War (that is, the war against the Shivans, I'm not talking about the T-V War) even began. The Great War probably even slowed it down a bit; common enemies and all that. The Hades was always gonna be their main weapon, developed in secret, and the Shivan tech it was using was simply an added bonus.

The Shivan research was all locked up by Command, likely in the hopes of preventing another GTI Rebellion. Therefore, construction of the Hades as it was would be impossible unless the Shivan research was unlocked again.

Take a look at this, part of the Tech Room description of the Hades:

After the defeat of the GTI and the destruction of the Hades, the GTA classified the details of this research at level Omega. There are rumors that the Alliance has attempted to reconstruct the Hades to learn more about the GTI's activities. These reports have yet to be confirmed by government sources.

Don't know about you, but that makes me think that the Hades might have reappeared in FS3, had it ever been made.
[/speculation]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
My theory is that the GTI's research on the Shivans is  what caused the Great War.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.

Don't know about you, but that makes me think that the Hades might have reappeared in FS3, had it ever been made.
[/speculation]
I think it might have appear if  :v: had done a mission disk(like silent threat) for FS2
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Regarding the Shivan tech in the Hades, my theory on that is that this tech was salvaged from the Shivans.  The GTVA couldn't get its hands on any more Shivan tech, so they lacked the proper materials to rebuild it.  In fact, I believe that the ST mission when you have to investigate reports of GTI activity in Ross128, is in fact when GTI was stealing some of the Shivan supplies for the Hades.  Granted, the GTI ships all got waxed during that mission, but its safe to assume that there would've been more tech recovery missions by GTI that just this one, and this just happened to be engagement you stumbled-upon.

I'm guessing that the GTVA COULD have rebuild the Hades, but they would've had to supplement Terran or Vasudan equipment in place of the Shivan systems they couldn't replace or reproduce.  The result would've been a mere shadow of what the original was (or could have been).  That said, its possible that GTVA originally set out to recreate the Hades, but these kinds of problems of patching in different equipment called the project off.  The GTVA was hoping to use it as their Lucy killer for future encounters.  Then the Colossus was designed, which exceeded the Hades' specs considerably, and didn't need any Shivan equipment as part of the design, and thus wouldn't need to have Terran or Vasudan equipment hacked/substituted into it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
    After the defeat of the GTI and the destruction of the Hades, the GTA classified the details of this research at level Omega. There are rumors that the Alliance has attempted to reconstruct the Hades to learn more about the GTI's activities. These reports have yet to be confirmed by government sources.

To be honest I think it's the construction of the Colossus not a second Hades that started off those rumours. Notice that it's the GTVA that is supposed to be building it not the GTA. And the plan to build the Colossus began almost immediately after the GTVA was formed.

In 2345, on the tenth anniversary of the Shivan attack on Ross 128, the Vasudan emperor Khonsu II addressed the newly formed GTVA General Assembly. The emperor inaugurated an ambitious and unprecedented joint endeavour: the GTVA Colossus.

In other words :v: are deliberately doing a nice bit of foreshadowing there and getting people to think about super ships. Kinda blew it by then sticking the Colossus in the bloody intro cutscene but they probably hadn't decided to do that yet.  :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well if it's one thing we know about the GTVA is that is very adapt to....adapting and improvisations. The Hades could not of been constructed with just shivan tech. I believe a great deal of it was constructed with terran tech just more advanced since they had a reference point to campare it with and had the basic instruments for geting it done. That said i believe that at least the subspace drives could of proven usefull to the GTVA if they were shivan ones that is. As for the beam tech another great sensitive area i believe this is where they should of invested a great deal more. But then  again they han no idea how powerfull shivan beams were ! all they had were the Lucifer pimary weapons for comparison ! The current GTVA standard beam cannons outperformed those so they believed they were in the clear.

I wonder if the GTVA could of found a way to improve its weapons if another FS would of been made? Just a thought.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Uhm... BTW: I always wondered, why there's a Hades on the Surface of the Planet that's shown during the intro-Video...

Offline Dysko

Uhm... BTW: I always wondered, why there's a Hades on the Surface of the Planet that's shown during the intro-Video...
This was a quite discussed argument in a topic I opened some months ago about ground combat in the FS era.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey does anyone know if any GTVA warships are capable of atmosferic flight??
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Probably the hades, i'd say odds are the Aeolus cruiser could as well. The old Valk would probably do well in atmosphere, though thats not a cap-ship. I'd also say the Mentu (the weakest vasudan cruiser) could as well. Any transport and most freighters could probably do in-atmosphere.

Wasn't some Shivan/GTI tech used on many peoples favorite bomber (AKA the Shoebox) (AKA the Brick) (AKA the Flying Moon) (AKA the Ursa)? I seem to remember that they said the Ursa has a ultradense hull.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Hey does anyone know if any GTVA warships are capable of atmosferic flight??

Nope  (as in, no-one knows).

However, if they have sufficient anti-gravity technology......