Author Topic: hate how the mouse works? have i got the script for you!  (Read 35343 times)

Re: hate how the mouse works? have i got the script for you!
 Yeah I guess. But maybe it's more an incompatibility problem with the new VPs (3.6.8 zeta), since it works fine with the old ones (3.6.7). I've completed half the campaign and still not a single crash. For the scripting build to be compatible with the new VPs or to be included in a new release is just a matter of time I guess...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think 3.7.0 will have scripting support, correct?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
All current cvs HEAD branch builds are AFAIK builds that more or less will in the future lead to 3.7 release. So... yes, 3.7 should have support for the current HEAD branch scripts
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline neoterran

yeah, but unfortunately, 3.7 is probably at least 6 months away
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
As I understand it, 3.6.10 will be based on the 3.6.9 branch and so will not have most of the scripting stuff in it. However, I've been pretty good about committing all my changes to CVS, so the next HEAD build should have most of the stuff that I've mentioned that I've done.

Which to use is entirely up to you. As far as I'm concerned, the period where the "new" scripting system is not in official use has the benefit of giving me a bit more leeway in case I want to change some infrequently-used parts of the system to work more closely with convention or just plain better. This is the first time I've basically written a programming language*, so I'm constantly finding new things that I want to tweak or change.

*(Technically, I only defined all the functions, object types, libraries, and implemented the appropriate code for parsing the Lua sequences and integrating that with the aforementioned elements. It still feels like starting from a clean slate, though.)
-C

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...This is the first time I've basically written a programming language*, so I'm constantly finding new things that I want to tweak or change.

*(Technically, I only defined all the functions, object types, libraries, and implemented the appropriate code for parsing the Lua sequences and integrating that with the aforementioned elements. It still feels like starting from a clean slate, though.)
So, why not just go for broke and create whatever's left to make it a programming language?  :D 
Of course, I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about...  XD

Offline WMCoolmon

It'd be a lot of work, and it wouldn't provide any real benefit unless I came up with some clever thing to make it more appealing than the scripting languages already out there. I don't want to throw away my time - which I can't ever get back - to reinvent the wheel, while at the same time devaluing the Lua guys' work by not using it, and providing a competing scripting system that would do the same thing.
-C

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Aiee!  I was only half-joking...  :D
So, I take it there'd be quite a lot of work left to make that happen... it just sounded to me (stupid me!) that you had almost made a whole programming language, but not quite.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
NUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!!!!! i took odd nukemouse and when i play regular freespace, gameplay images and manuvering are both gone! explain!

(angry, but you corrupted my game!)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh, say what??
To undo, can't you just use the old (3.6.9) engine?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
iirc nukemouse only works in head builds. using head builds requires at least minor understanding of the engine. if it messes the game up just remove the scripting table and everything should work. i tested this thouroughly and i never encountered this problem which means youre either tampering with the script or running multiple scripts at once.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:47:08 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
seems its a pilot-file corruption. odd, since there was no warning.

ps: more than just a corruption. i had to re-install to get the joystick to work again.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
youre like a toddler with matches. youd think after burning yourself a dozen times you would learn.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

NUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!!!!! i took odd nukemouse and when i play regular freespace, gameplay images and manuvering are both gone! explain!

(angry, but you corrupted my game!)

"Please" would have been nice. Also, yelling and screaming and blaming them for breaking freespace does not make people want to help you.

I should probably note that all the code samples in this forum should be considered "try-at-your-own-risk" just like any executable would be. I've tried to make scripting as safe as possible but there's always the chance that someone will find a way to corrupt things or will accidentally corrupt things, especially in the case of writing files.

I really don't want to have to write up a "Read this first!" thread for this forum, they're so cliche'd...
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont even know what build hes using, and really i dont think he does either. now this script will only work in head builds, he obviously missed the part about turning OFF the mouse in the game options, that explains the lack of control he reported. the missing images, which im assuming he means the hud, is probibly cause he stuck an +override in there. il test the script with the latest head build when i find it just to make sure theres not a problem elsewhere.

*edit*
tested it and it still works fine in the latest head build
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:29:48 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Eorohi

Hi, I'm a complete n00blet when it comes to scripting.  Anyhow I'm wondering would it be possible to get this to work on Btrl demo?  When you try to use the script this is the error that pops up.

LUA ERROR: [string "GameInit"]:22: attempt to call field `getX' (a nil value)

LUA Debug:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:      getX
Name of:   field
Function type:   C
Defined on:   -1
Upvalues:   0

Source:      =[C]
Short source:   [C]
Current line:   -1

LUA Stack:

lol knowing me i probably put it in the wrong place  :lol:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
BTRL demo uses builds based on 369 builds so it wont function without some editing (or rather reverting to older functions).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Eorohi

ahh ok, thank you for the fast reply.  Just anoying when the mouse doesn't work like it really should for a flight/space sim  :mad:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you could try running btrl with a head build. no gaurantees though. stick it in the btrl folder and point to it with the launcher. then you could possibly use my script. but that wouldnt be offitially supported by the btrl team. i doubt theyd let you play multi with such tweaks :D

i dont think reverting the funcs would work either. i used alot of stuff exclusive to head, cfile for example, used to save config files and such.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:16:56 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you do as he suggests above, make sure to create a new pilot file for use with the new build, in case the builds are incompatible.