Author Topic: 2 odd problems  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Andalis

First off, the setup went great (I had to download DevIL.dll, ILU.dll and ILUL.dll. but I found those pretty easily), but when I try to play, it'll get to the pilot screen, I choose a pilot, it pops a warning saying this pilot wont be able to go back to the original game, I press OK, the game crashes and I get an error report, nothing else.

Now I downloaded all the .vp files and put them into the folder I made (a thread told me to do so) called mediavps, ok, this time when I launch it takes me to a screen with the FS2 SCP icon, but freezes there and does nothing, the computer continues running, but this screen won't minimize and nothing will stack on top of it.

Now, to be honest, this game isn't from the original disks, though I DO own them, I bought them 7 years ago and in my complete ignorance for taking care of disks they became badly damaged and now refuse to install, so I torrented this version (I KNOW of read somewhere that this is perfectly legal since I legally own the disks, and I can do this as a backup.)

Any help at all is appreciated.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
what torrent did you get this from?

Post pics of your freespace2 folder, your freespace2\data folder, your freespace2\mediavps folder, and the contents of freespace2\launcher6.ini.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Andalis

Alright, here goes.

The Freespace 2 folder itself

The Freespace 2 Data folder

The Freespace 2 mediavps folder

The contents of the launcher6.ini are as follows:

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_5.exe;
game_flags =  -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -snd_preload ;
active_mod = ;

The program was downloaded via bittorrent, I also have the exact file name if you want it. The game runs perfectly, no errors or anything, the only little problem beign the animated stuff in the interactive ship bridge menu thingy distory a little to the left or right when hovered over.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
You've got a REALLY old version of the executable, yet you have the most recent mediavps.

You can update your out-of-date files by running the Installer in my sig.

It'll download everything you don't have.

Run it, give it C:\Games\FreeSpace2 when it asks for a directory, then select "All Features" and "Yes to All". Turn off hibernation and leave it running overnight.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Andalis

Overnight eh? well, the shouldnt be a problem, my computer doesn't hibernate either...dont think it does at least. Now i DO have a cable modem that's gone as fast as a mb in speed, but oh well, this doesnt take up too much memory does it? I would like to have my computer useable for the remainder of the night hehe :P

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Overnight eh? well, the shouldnt be a problem, my computer doesn't hibernate either...dont think it does at least. Now i DO have a cable modem that's gone as fast as a mb in speed, but oh well, this doesnt take up too much memory does it? I would like to have my computer useable for the remainder of the night hehe :P

It shouldn't be a problem. It just takes a while, as it can download up to 3 GB.

Offline Andalis

alright, i'll post back here either later tonight or tommorow, thanks for your help.

By the way, how do you check to see if your PC hibernates?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
alright, i'll post back here either later tonight or tommorow, thanks for your help.

By the way, how do you check to see if your PC hibernates?

Control Panel, Power Options.

Make sure "Turn off Hard Disks", "Standby", and "Hibernate" are all set to "Never".

Offline Kaine

keep in mind that unless turey has made some major changes, this WILL download EVERYTHING the first time you run it. so for anyone reading this thread that doesn't have unlimited broadband, be aware, you're looking at a ~3gb download. it is by no means a fail-safe solution, nor is it perfect. use at your own risk.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
First off, the setup went great (I had to download DevIL.dll, ILU.dll and ILUL.dll. but I found those pretty easily)

:jaw:

I can't even remember how long ago it was you needed those files for FS2 to work. :D Ironically it looks like you've got everything right apart from the executables. Turey's installer should fix any problems you have but simply grabbing 3.6.9 and the launcher would probably have been all you had to do since it looks like you did everything else correctly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:55:13 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Andalis

Well, everything fixed up and running fine and looking good, thanks a bundle.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
keep in mind that unless turey has made some major changes, this WILL download EVERYTHING the first time you run it. so for anyone reading this thread that doesn't have unlimited broadband, be aware, you're looking at a ~3gb download.

You don't HAVE to download ANYTHING. It gives you the option to decide which specific sections you want to download. If you choose not to use this feature, that's up to you, but don't complain that it downloads too much for the low-bandwidth people to handle. From the beginning, the Installer was designed to work both for those on high-speed internet and those with lower bandwidth. The day I move away from that is the day I no longer deserve to have the Installer ranked as one of the best ways to get FreeSpace Open.

I realize that if you installed Retail FreeSpace 2 on your own, it does take a while for the Installer to verify that you have the correct files. I will try to speed this up as much as possible, but that requires a lot of bandwidth. (as the files need to be hosted unzipped for the large speed increase I put in to take effect) If you'd like to help pay for the hosting of >3GB, unzipped, downloaded around one hundred times a day, be my guest.

it is by no means a fail-safe solution, nor is it perfect. use at your own risk.

Nothing is ever a fail-safe solution. If you are waiting for an absolutely perfect solution to be made, it's not going to happen, not by me, not by anyone. However, I fail to see where it is a "at your own risk" solution. There is nothing "risky" about the Installer. If it doesn't work, it has only touched one directory, and any problems can be fixed by running it again.