Author Topic: Explosions  (Read 10403 times)

Offline aRaven

Hi everyone!

I just came across this post

http://www.wcnews.com/cgi-bin/searchnews.cgi?action=dosearch&body=WC+Pioneer

and I was amazed how awesome the explosions are. It is possible for somebody to convert them for the Upgrade Project or make similar ones?

Funny, they look the same as the ones in the VP folders....

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline neoterran

no, actually they look quite a bit better.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
^^ Understatement. :)

Really though, someone should see if we can use those or not.  It's easy enough to convert those MOVs into EFFs, but I'm not about to do it without their permission.

Offline neoterran

The two on the right are different than FS2 SCP and do look better. Also, when will the next official build come out and the next media vps? I have 3.6.9 Zeta vps I believe. Will the files "mp-710_adveffects, mp-710_models, and mp-710_effects still be required to avoid bugs like the smoke being black pixels and the shield hits being black when the next vps are released?

no. And you have the 3.6.8 zetas.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Really though, someone should see if we can use those or not.  It's easy enough to convert those MOVs into EFFs, but I'm not about to do it without their permission.

Anyone with combustion can make explosions like that. I practiced with a few for Machina Terra back in the day. Dont have the OGL ICD yet so cant really play around more. :/
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The explosions are probably the only aspect of the graphics that have not been upgraded at all since retail. We could definitely use something better there. They looked great eight years ago, but now they really stick out compared to everything else.

Offline neoterran

I was just playing yesterday and the one thing that really sticks out now (that everything else is so good) is how bad our explosions are. I think upgrading them will make a big improvement to percieved quality.

I don't think these guys will want to share their custom explosions with us, but I'm sure we can do better than what we currently have. Any of the graphics gurus want to try ? And use this thread as the feedback center ?
Chief Grognard.

Offline neoterran

well i just released mine...

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44999.0.html

Uh, that's nice and all, but it's a shockwave, not an explosion. Different thing.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
ok that will be my next project...sorry about that...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Anyone with combustion can make explosions like that. I practiced with a few for Machina Terra back in the day. Dont have the OGL ICD yet so cant really play around more. :/

You have combustion?  For what version of Max?   I think they ripped it out of v4.  Or i'm an idiot.   Either's likely :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Combustion 4, I have. Tis a separate stand-alone program. Atleast the one I have.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Combustion 4, I have. Tis a separate stand-alone program. Atleast the one I have.

Sounds interesting. ;)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Combustion is a standalone program from the same company that made Max as far as I know.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline neoterran

Hmm, well, some work spent on upgrading the explosions across the board with an eye to making them look more realistic in a space (no oxygen) environment would be really cool.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
What would a fiery explosion look like in space?

Offline neoterran

it would likely look like a normal explosion, but as only the oxygen from the source (ie the space craft) is used, then it would be alot less pluming and billowing of an explosion like the ones we have - It would look more like the ones at the top of this thread in the very beginning where you see the force exploding out like liberty spikes... but then have the explosion over quicker instead of letting it go on and on forever.

A scientist's take :
Visually the effect would be of a very brief, brilliant flash in a region only a little bigger than the actual extent of the explosive material. Of course there would be no billowing swirling smoke, and any fragments would almost certainly be moving too fast to be visible. The effect would probably be something like that of a big flashbulb.

Source : http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/waw/mad/mad12.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:35:42 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
it would likely look like a normal explosion, but as only the oxygen from the source (ie the space craft) is used, then it would be alot less pluming and billowing of an explosion like the ones we have - It would look more like the ones at the top of this thread in the very beginning where you see the force exploding out like liberty spikes... but then have the explosion over quicker instead of letting it go on and on forever.

A scientist's take :
Visually the effect would be of a very brief, brilliant flash in a region only a little bigger than the actual extent of the explosive material. Of course there would be no billowing swirling smoke, and any fragments would almost certainly be moving too fast to be visible. The effect would probably be something like that of a big flashbulb.

Source : http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/waw/mad/mad12.html

That, and no aftereffects - the vaccuum of space would snuff out any fire, and almost instantaneously dissipate any residual heat/smoke/light.  The flashbulb analogy would be better if it said a flashbulb in a pitch-black room.  The initial flash would expand exponentially in volume, but in doing so would disperse any light and heat energy equally as quickly as there's no air resistance.

What I'm saying in convoluted fashion is that the explosions we have presently are too slow, too condensed, and too long-lasting.  They should be a blink of expanding light, nothing more.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Being in a nebula would likely have a different explosion due to whatever
substance was floating around along with the ship...

However since the nebulas do not ignite from the thruster flame as soon as you enter one,
you could assume that all these substances are not flammable in that particular sense.

Would be interesting if there was a nebula igniter missile though, or something
to the effect of a napalm launcher.  :D
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod