Author Topic: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships  (Read 10743 times)

Offline Dysko

Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
This would be an interesting mission: the player has to disable as much turrets as possible before the ships come in range.

Didn't we call that Bearbaiting?
Much like that, but with the difference that there are a lot of not-so-though turrets, bot enemy and friendly ships are in the area, and if the player isn't quick enough, he will be caught in cross fire ;7
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
Much like that, but with the difference that there are a lot of not-so-though turrets, bot enemy and friendly ships are in the area, and if the player isn't quick enough, he will be caught in cross fire ;7

yeah, that will be good. I tried to create the same effect with INFERNO ships, but it's not so good.
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Tamlin

Wouldn't depend on the "era" of ship or more or lest type.how many times do The Shivans gang rape a corvette or destoryer and you have you and dumb wing mates. it could work?

Missles and bombs are self propelled in game they don't us your engery so why would a capships use E
 they'd run out {sorry if some of this was said allready i just speed thuogh this thread]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Tamlin... Does that nick happen to be nicked off from certain al'Thor? :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

yeah, that will be good. I tried to create the same effect with INFERNO ships, but it's not so good.

Are you sure?

I used it in STHCRS-mission 18 I think.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Are you sure?

I used it in STHCRS-mission 18 I think.
steadfast, old m3, alexandiria vs phobos, i sent it to you time ago. not so bad, but not as i wanted
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
As I think I might have touched upon ealier in the thread, thereason I thought of the Torps on Capships is simply to helpout other ships with the anticapitol fire, in particular, The Hades, The Mentu, and the Hecate, as I thought they desperly need for various reasons.(The Hades, for its absoluty crappy Beam placement, The Mentu, for having no anticap fire at all, and the Hecate, to give it desperly needed punch so it can escape)
Also, good points on the loss of the Hood. Seems like a crappy way to die. Yet I thought one of the few ships that did die from the the mags blowing up to high hell was the arizona. >_>
Hmm.. I like this place, you learn stuff... I think <_<
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:26:38 am by Desert Tyrant »

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
* Turey thinks that all ships size Cruiser and up should be resricted to two types of weapons: Beams and Flak. LOTS of Flak.

Isent that the Aelous?

Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
Beam Turrets DO however get knocked out of action. Besides torps plus fighters plus bombers plus beam guns = overwhelmed enemy.
Plus torps don't require massive amounts of energy to fire.

Missile Launchers are vulnerable to weapons fire as well, so torpedo tubes would be too.  And on the latter, again, the point I'm making here is that if you takes the torps out, and use the space for more beam cannons and fighter/bomber space, the enemy is just as overwhelmed.  Torpedo tubes require resources - space and money at a premium.  Why use that space and money for torps instead of one of the many already existing weapons? 

The big C didn't run out of ammo.  It was overheating.  The latter requires time to cool down.  The former requires a freighter to bring you more ammo.
The lack of energy requirement could be a bonus, I suppose, but in any ship large enough to be taking on capships while hanging around, energy requirements shouldn't be a major factor, and if you;re talking about hit and fades...well, I mention that one specifically.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey now wait a minute. Since when did the Collie ran out of "amunition" for its beam cannons? NEVER!

The collie just had really bad heat sinks and it was severely undepowerd for the amount of beams it had to fire at once and even overcharge them. In short the Collie was not meant to fire something like 2/3 of its beams at one at one sigle target. And even if it apears that the beams were designed to be overcharged i'm sure they were not mean to be overcharged and fired in rapid fire one shot after the other. That just screams loads more heat and more powerconsumption. Much more then it was designed to handle.

Remember the Collie was tryng to take out the Sath as fast as posible and they paid the price for this.

Until i can see a bomb/torp that can move at half the speed of a beam cannon or can not be shot down i will stick to beams.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Well, on some further consideration, I can think of two uses for torps, though only one is really practical.

1)  Combatting the Sathanas/Hecate effect:  Beam weapons are only useful against targets in their cone of fire.  If it's not in that cone...well, you're SOL.  Since a torpedo can turn, it can be used on non primary angles or perhaps just everywhere to give it a 360/360 cone of fire.  Assuming we're talking about torps more star trek speed and less starlancer speed (which would be a bad joke in FSdom anyway), there could be advantages to this.

2)  Unlikely, but if you're in a nebular environment and your torps use stealth tech, you might be able to launch stealthily heavy attacks.  A beam cannon neccessairly gives away your position.  A torp need not.

Offline Dysko

It would be cool also to have "cruise torpedos": launch them from the far part of the system, make them jump capable, and spawn them 500 meters or less from the enemy fleet ;7

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
*cough*SSM*cough*
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Dysko

*cough*SSM*cough*
Oh right, forgot about it :nervous:

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is SSM????
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Wait...when did anyone (private industry or government funded project) try to create a fully-blown BEAM cannon?  As in LASER weaponry?  I remember the Star Wars project and all that jazz, but that was, as you put it, just just a panzy anti-missile cannon... and if I remember, it didn't blow up.

I'd love to see an article.  Or something.

I mean, YES, a true beam weapon would generate a LOT of heat but I just don't see that as being an obstacle that modern cooling systems could not overcome.  The biggest boundary I see is energy.  I mean... everytime you fire the sucker you're going to owe the power company a bill the size of an entire residential blocks monthly power bill.
Yes, it has been attempted, it was a beam cannon that could punch straight through any barrier (Walls and the sort) and vaporize everything inside it. Only thing was: it blew up after firing the first test shot and hasn't been attempted since.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sources, Zane.  Sources. 

Offline Dysko

What is SSM????
Bombs coming from subspace after you "tagged" the target with the Targeting Laser. Actually, that doesn't work, but looks like modifying "ssm.tbl" will make it work.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The GTC Fenris Leviathan carries torpedoes that do more damage a second than it's beam.

There, fixed it for you.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Fergus

From a players perspective I suppose the Cap-ship mounted torpedo launcher makes missions more challenging.  Say you have two Orion's engaging in the AI chase tango, circling and exchanging broadsides with their beams.  In a normal mission, the player would simply need to destroy 2/3 beam cannons on the opposing Orion and the major threat to the friendly vessel is gone excepting of course for any scripted bombers.  Now say the opposing vessel has the mounted torpedo launchers.  As well (or perhaps instead of the beams) you have these launchers to deal with, but as well as destroying the hard points, the incoming munitions must also be dealt with.  Now of course the severity of their threat depends on the weapon designer, but personally I think it would make things much more challenging for the player.  After all, variety is the spice of life.
Generic signature quote blabber