Author Topic: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships  (Read 10744 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
There you go, exactly what I also said. So don't go cracking around saying that they're useless.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
I still want to know what this 'beam cannon' you're talking about is, Zane.  A laser?  I'd like some technical details - I'm fairly conversant in the technology, I'd be curious to learn more.

Any articles?  A name, at least?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
From what I remember it's called a Neutral Particle Beam.

Offline Tamlin

Herra: it's no nick, man, it my name .well second name. I think "Mike" would be pretty boring and calling myself chef which I hear eery day sucks. So my imagianation is with my "Hippy" parents

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Fascinating. Thanks for replying, I was just wondering... :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Course beams are great... but what happens when shielding starts blocking beams? Your going to want to have backups.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
True, but there's still stuff to look at when making an energy field powerful enough to absorb something like a charged beam.
And if anyone says "magnetic deflection" for missiles, don't even bother, I find those too impractical.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
Well, that's what armor is, Zane.

After all, what we think of as 'solid' matter is only that way because of electromagnetic repulsion. 

Phase shields and phase torpedos.... sidewall shields and sidewall torps...  torps with the ability to sync with the shields.  Something like sidewalls would make beams virtually useless.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
...except for the part where that's sci-fi technobabble, not anything remotely based on real physics. 

Heck, by all rights it should be easier to sync a beam with shields than an entire torpedo.  (Granted, that's technobabble too, so if you like the idea of shield-penetrating torps, more power to you!)

Offline MarkN

Cruise torpedos sound a likely dvelopement as it is the one location where topedos have and advantage over beams, in that they can be very long ranged, the only problem of course is that they would be easily shot down without a subspace drive, and to expensive for most engagements with one. however, if you have a few torpedo bombardment ships (probably converted old cruisers), and a faster torpedo, they would be useful in some situations.
However, I think that a better use for such vessels would be as fighter carriers that stay out of battle, but allow the destroyers to do away with their fighter bays, and carry even more weapons (or just a reasonable number, in the case of the Hecate class).

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'd love to see some shipkiller missiles almost the size of a fighter used in juggernaught combat.  Big, slow, and armored.  It'd be so much fun to fly interceptor duty against those. 

I think bombs are slow because, uh...they have to be carried on bombers, and...engines are big.  Maybe they don't have the mass to mount better drives?   

Freespace engine systems have always been wonky. 

There is one problem with big missiles - you can't make them armored for now (AFIK)
I made some pretty powerfull and big missiles for the Archangel and they might not be armored but they still manage to pass trough the enemy defense in 50% of cases... Of course Shivan AF defense if weak in most cases....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Course this whole thing is technobabble LOL

Actually photon/quantum type torp would be very effective.  Too fast to be intercepted.  You could target enemy beam turrets with them. I dunno about range though.

Offline MarkN

I seem to remember photon torps being rather unmanouvrable and so very difficult to hit precise locations. There again the creators of Star Trek never went much in for technological continuity...

As for ranges, this varies between original trek (enormous), and next gen trek (around 8km(16 ship lengths)).

Back to FS...

A weapon that was fast enough not to be intercepted would probably be fast enough not to need a guidance system.

Saying that, I have had the idea of a cap-ship that would aproach the enemy, get into a broadside position and open fire with lots of Tempests.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Uh? Are talking about dive warheads with no guidance systems? They're far better than a swarm of Tempests.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline MarkN

Uh? Are talking about dive warheads with no guidance systems? They're far better than a swarm of Tempests.

Depends on how many tempests.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
As for ranges, this varies between original trek (enormous), and next gen trek (around 8km(16 ship lengths)).

I seem to remember that the Galaxy class was 600 meters long

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
* Turey thinks that all ships size Cruiser and up should be resricted to two types of weapons: Beams and Flak. LOTS of Flak.

Isent that the Aelous?

Your point?

Aelous is one of the best cap ships, IMO.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline CaptJosh

As for maneuverability of photon torpedoes, watch the death of General Chang and his fire-while-cloaked B'rel class bird of prey near the end of Star Trek VI.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

As for maneuverability of photon torpedoes, watch the death of General Chang and his fire-while-cloaked B'rel class bird of prey near the end of Star Trek VI.

To be or not to be.............*BOOM* :D