Author Topic: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships  (Read 10740 times)

Offline CaptJosh

Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
Target that explosion and fire!
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
Eh, on the topic of Beam weapons, and missiles, see www.readyaimfuture.com
Click on "Video Galleries"
In "FutureWeapons Season 1: Part 1", view the clip "FutureWeapons: Airborne Laser" for 3 types of lasers in development.
In "FutureWeapons Season 2", view the clip "FutureWeapons: THAAD Missile"
:D
All the other clips are pretty cool, too.  :cool:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Capships
Funny, those are all anti-missile lasers.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Re: Do y'all think it would be a good idea to mount torpedos on Crusier and Caps
* Turey thinks that all ships size Cruiser and up should be resricted to two types of weapons: Beams and Flak. LOTS of Flak.

Isent that the Aelous?

Your point?

Aelous is one of the best cap ships, IMO.
QFT. I completly agree with that assesment.  The Aeolus was quite a nasty crusier.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Funny, those are all anti-missile lasers.
:wtf: U listen to the part about the one they were mounting on the JSF?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It said nothing about offensive lasers being mounted on F-35 aircraft.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Found them on different searches, solid-state / microwave lasers. But considering that 85% of any laser based weapon I've looked at was canceled even before the half-point of testing or was just dumped for something else, it's less than likely that they'll ever come through.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sigh...

Uh? Are talking about dive warheads with no guidance systems? They're far better than a swarm of Tempests.

Depends on how many tempests.

All the tempests a fighter can carry.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Found them on different searches, solid-state / microwave lasers. But considering that 85% of any laser based weapon I've looked at was canceled even before the half-point of testing or was just dumped for something else, it's less than likely that they'll ever come through.

The atmosphere is was really holding them back.  It regrades the laser rapidly.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Doesn't mean you can't get a high powered laser to go even somewhat far enough to be a serious threat. It's all about making sure firing two shots doesn't vaporize whatever's housing the weapon. Or melts, or shuts down from overload, or just be too damn heavy to carry, or being so expensive that the contract is canceled (Which is the reason of almost every new project's downfall).

Doesn't mean you can't get a high powered laser to go even somewhat far enough to be a serious threat. It's all about making sure firing two shots doesn't vaporize whatever's housing the weapon. Or melts, or shuts down from overload, or just be too damn heavy to carry, or being so expensive that the contract is canceled (Which is the reason of almost every new project's downfall).

I think the last two especially the weight are the main ones.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It said nothing about offensive lasers being mounted on F-35 aircraft.
Oh, yes it did...
Next, is the close-combat version called the Advanced Tactical Laser, carried on much smaller aircraft like the latest Joint Strike Fighter planes, the ATL is every bit as deadly, taking out air and ground targets with incredible stealth.
:p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Like I said again, there's an 85% chance that the concept will just go down the ****ter like every other laser based weapon I've read about.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It was still in there..  Need a hearing aide?   :p ;) :lol:   j/k