Author Topic: FS2/FS2 open useing Vista home basic  (Read 2597 times)

FS2/FS2 open useing Vista home basic
Well guys heres me evaluation of windows vista and FreeSpace.

Tureys installer works a little faster.

No fps loss, a little slower on startup ( like 2 seconds )
Overall game performance grade A+
Whoever it was on the tech side of another game that I play who said vista would result in lower fps and poor game performance, is more of an ID10T than a IT.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Re: FS2/FS2 open useing Vista home basic
A reason he said that may have been because of Vista's AERO Glass feature, which requires at least 64 MB of video memory.  I'm assuming that a Vista install with all features enabled would probably slow down performance.

Then again, on a super system you may not notice :)

Offline neoterran

Well guys heres me evaluation of windows vista and FreeSpace.

Tureys installer works a little faster.

No fps loss, a little slower on startup ( like 2 seconds )
Overall game performance grade A+
Whoever it was on the tech side of another game that I play who said vista would result in lower fps and poor game performance, is more of an ID10T than a IT.

Actually, the reason Freespace runs so well on vista is due to the fact it is an OpenGL game and you have decent OpenGL ICD in your (i'm guessing nvidia) drivers.

DirectX games are not quite up to par yet.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline neoterran

A reason he said that may have been because of Vista's AERO Glass feature, which requires at least 64 MB of video memory.  I'm assuming that a Vista install with all features enabled would probably slow down performance.

The memory usage doesn't matter - Aero disables itself when a fullscreen app requires to directly run, so aero has no impact on game performance - the main issue is that the WDDM drivers are immature at the moment, and that is why the games run slower.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Actually Neo the vid is a built in ATI radeon x200

I just got off the im tag game with him, he said I get better with vista cause I had a bad install of win xp LMAO, I realy hate to tell him but I was installing os's before he was born, I think I had xp installed clean and good since it ran for 5 years without crashing