Author Topic: Old games you can only semi-remember  (Read 6434 times)

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Re: Old games you vcan only semi-remember
There was this one arcade game I used to play when a small child...it was one of those were you were driving, but you were also shooting.

My dad would drive it, since my feet didnt reach the pedals, and I would shoot the gun.

I think it was called Lucky&Wild or something like that? Fun game anyhow...lots of childhood memories.

Also, when I was young, my dad got me some game for the PC called something like Freed Space, or FreeSpacer, or something like that...  :lol:  does anyone remember that one?
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: Old games you can only semi-remember
"Don't make me get the Beam Cannon!!!"  :P

Seriously is game #1 in the furst post: the original NARC?
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I remember a long time ago I played a space sim in an arcade.  This was probably1994 or 1995ish.  Back when most 'space games' on a console would have been sidescrollers and not really sims.  The thing that drew me into it was it was the first game I'd ever played that was really a 3d combat space sim.  I don't remember much about it, it was played out in open space with no other large objects around, and it was multiplayer because they had like 4 of these things linked together.  The graphics were simple polygon based like a lot of EA's earlier stuff, with just one color polygons everwhere.  The only other thing I remember is that there was some sort of nuke like in Starfox, except I'm pretty sure it wasn't starfox, cause I hope I would have remembered that.  Does anyone know any space game like that from that era?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Bri_Dog

The was a  flight combat sim from the early or mid 90's I loved.

It featured the F-23 Black Widow and had all sorts of flight modes. But I only used the free flight and flew around blowing up a city.

I do remember that the box was square but had a diamond shaped extrusion on the front.

Ring any bells?
Sig

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Yeah, I rented that a few times. thinking back it was sort of weird that there would be a game about a fighter that would only now be entering service.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Anyone else think that the copy protection on Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of the most creative every desgined?

For those of you who didn't have it: in order to run the game you needed the input a series of glyphs, the kind that you would later encounter throughout the game, which were to be found all along the top and bottom of the manual. So in order to play a game about ancient secrets and weird runes, you needed to decode a cypher included in the manual....how immersive is it!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't think I ever saw it. The Mac version I played had no copy protection. (and better music, as was normal in those days)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone else think that the copy protection on Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of the most creative every desgined?

For those of you who didn't have it: in order to run the game you needed the input a series of glyphs, the kind that you would later encounter throughout the game, which were to be found all along the top and bottom of the manual. So in order to play a game about ancient secrets and weird runes, you needed to decode a cypher included in the manual....how immersive is it!
i h8 that
I had it installed on an old computer that got given to me, and ended up deleting it, because I had no hope of getting the manual... that sucked.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Do ye know about ScummVM?  It's an emulator that plays all the old LucasArts adventure games (as well as some others).

Ok on the old game can't-quite-remember front... there was an arcade game I played 15 years ago, top-down shootemup, where you could pick either a jet or a helicopter (each had different stats).  All I remember is that the two players were red and blue, and you fly over this futuristic war-torn metropolis (with superhighways with chunks missing, etc).  I've been looking around various game lists, and it's not Ajax, though it sounded similar.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You checked in HOTU (Home of the Underdogs)?

Offline Backslash

Yeah.  Unfortunately they don't have this kind -- this was an ARCADE game.

So far I've tracked down all but two of the other arcade games from my childhood  :D  Hooray for MAME!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
*cough* bitt*atchoo!*orrent *cough*

Offline Backslash

I would, see, but this is an old game I can only semi-remember :D  so I don't remember the NAME :p

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
ZING!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Eh...sounds a little bit like silkworm/swiv, though that was a heli/jeep, not a jet.

Offline Roanoke

I would, see, but this is an old game I can only semi-remember :D .....

how else would you describe it ?  :p

Offline Davros

The was a  flight combat sim from the early or mid 90's I loved.

It featured the F-23 Black Widow and had all sorts of flight modes. But I only used the free flight and flew around blowing up a city.

I do remember that the box was square but had a diamond shaped extrusion on the front.

Ring any bells?

jetfighter 2

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Nuclear Strike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_series#Nuclear_Strike

Does anyone else remember this? I vaguely remember getting to the part where you had to fly around and do some timed objectives, and that's where I gave up. Ah, Full Motion Video, how I miss you so.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have that game and only beat it for the first time last summer. It has several frustrating parts but is quite a fun game, and some of the movies are pretty funny. It basically needs a Voodoo 2 to look right; even other 3dfx cards have rendering bugs in it.

Offline Roanoke

This came out a couple of years after Desert Strike IIRC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.S.P.:_Air_Strike_Patrol

I though it as much better. this is the only screen shot I can find of it.