Author Topic: Dumb question on engine glows!  (Read 790 times)

Dumb question on engine glows!
OK...I am pretty sure I can sort out Homeworld style trails from the nebulae trails...and I know the colour of those trails is defined in the ships.tbl... so that should be all sorted out sooner or later.

What I cannot fathom AT ALL, though, is what controls the texture used to make the actual engine glow. I am using the latest FSOpen build, and always seem to have a blue glow on every whip I make. I want to be able to have red/yellow..whatever bright coloured trails linking back to the same coloured engine glow.

So... What decides the engine glow, and how do I make it a different colour? It's not in PCS..... It's not in the table.... and the Max plugin does not have any reference to it ( because that's how I am building )

Can anyone help?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Dumb question on engine glows!
For the glow type effects, either use global species setting from
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Species_defs.tbl

Primary ThrustAnims are the modelled cone texture, secondary is the trail type thrusterglow bitmap, tertiary defines the 'omnidirectional' round thrusterglow while ThrustGlows defines the 'directed' round thrusterglow

or then define the textures used by glowtype thruster effects via ships.tbl
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl#Customized_Thruster_Effects

IIRC setting the modelled thruster cone texture can be done only via species_defs.tbl

If you are using default settings all Terran ships have blue thruster effects
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Re: Dumb question on engine glows!
The customised thruster section was what I was looking for. I want the fighter class ships to have a particular colour, while the capital ships will all have blue glows. The species thing was no good for what I wanted, while that is perfect. It allows me to set the colours per ship...which is whtat I want. Tested...and working :D

Thanks