Author Topic: how's this for some weapon effects?  (Read 54397 times)

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
Re: how's this for some weapon effects?
Ugh, all this modding trouble tends to confuse me sometimes... Thanks for the effort of doing all of the remaining T/V beams, they work and look great. They're a real improvement! Now if someone took care of the shivan beams...  :nod:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I'm just not sure what to do with the shivan beams, they seem like they should be more pure than the T and V beams, I don't think they should look like a flow of particles or lightning, it should look like pure energy, like light, but that would mean virtually no detail. if anyone's got any ideas I'm willing to entertain suggestions.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Basically what they are atm (white beam with red glow) would work imo, only with a smoother transition from white to red perhaps
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline neoterran

I think they should look similar to the flow that you see on the terran beam. It looks really nice when it is flowing out horizontally and wispy, just come up with a slightly different pattern.

Looks great :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I may do an animated section or two
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline neoterran

IMO, animated beams look like crap. They are not realistic and move awkwardly. For something of that power, it would definately look like a solid stream, methinks, not a jerking around cartoon thing.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
what neoterran said basically

however if your considering animating them, prolly do somthing like, the white section of the beam to "pulse" vertically?
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'd like to see what Bob has in mind before we dismiss animated sections of beams. Memory hoggage aside, there are a lot of 'flowing energy' effects that could make beams look absolutely astounding. :)

In fact that's the kind of effect I've been trying to achieve with the translation settings as they are. I want it to look like the core is moving faster than the outer layers, but there are two problems I keep running into:

1) The core sections get washed out of existance so easily by the following segments. However, if you dull the other sections, then they become faded and ugly.
Might it be possible to implement an alpha constant or something for beam sections? Just a number we can fiddle with to get the transparency of each layer of the beam just right would be exceedingly helpful and would mean we could use the same graphic more often.

2) This is the bigger issue, but it seems to me that the translation speed factor doesn't work quite as it should. It seems to change based on the width of the beam section. Basically, the wider it is, the faster it moves. A wide beam section with a speed of -4 will outrun a much thinner section with a speed of -18!
Needless to say, this makes the flowing river thing rather hard to achieve. Bobboau, could you possibly take a quick look at the code and see what's happening there? I can report it as a bug with more specific details if needbe.

=========

In the meantime, I'm now trying out those EFF warm up animations Bob posted earlier. While the green and yellow one doesn't look very good as is, the green and blue one is amazing. It also gave me the idea to change some of the smaller beams over from the white>yellow>green colours to white>blue>green, which works really well in places:

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.

Here's a good time to show this off. This image right here shows that there needs to be an actual beam impact affect, because the scraping explosion thing isn't enough these days. I  mean just add something there that shows off that the beam is actually hitting the hull of a ship. Those cool scraping explosions isn't enough, here the scraping explosion stuff isn't quite doing it's thing, and it looks as if the beam just ends.
Just imagine if this blowtorch were the beam, and see how it like spreads out just a little when it hits a surface.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline neoterran

Here's a good time to show this off. This image right here shows that there needs to be an actual beam impact affect, because the scraping explosion thing isn't enough these days. I  mean just add something there that shows off that the beam is actually hitting the hull of a ship. Those cool scraping explosions isn't enough, here the scraping explosion stuff isn't quite doing it's thing, and it looks as if the beam just ends.
Just imagine if this blowtorch were the beam, and see how it like spreads out just a little when it hits a surface.

Totally and 100 percent agreed, the scraping explosions doesn't look good, it doesn't always cover the "end" of the beam, what would be really cool if the beam bent just like the above picture and moved along the hull... god... with a heat effect (shaders!) mmm....
Chief Grognard.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I like how the blowtorch doesn't end abruptly as soon as it touches a surface. It does that slight spreading across the surface of what it hits thing :yes:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and just how exactly do you think this is to be done, and please don't say shaders.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
... How about an effect sort of like a blowtorch hitting grease-coated steel?  ;7
I mean, does a beam just "melt" part of the hull, or does it actually vaporize some of it?

Offline neoterran

I guess it's not possible until we have shader support.
Chief Grognard.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I'm not talking about shader support. I'm just saying add like an extra graphic or something that would depict the beam spreading out slightly as soon as it hits the hull. You know, sort of like how we you pictures to depict beams shooting at all. The beam making the hull glow orange or red wherever it hits that uses shaders is a different thing i did not even mean to bring up.

SMBFD

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Totally and 100 percent agreed, the scraping explosions doesn't look good, it doesn't always cover the "end" of the beam, what would be really cool if the beam bent just like the above picture and moved along the hull... god... with a heat effect (shaders!) mmm....

Make hte ewxplosion effect bigger..then it covers everything:D Works for me
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
anyway... updated my stuff probably needs similar tweaks as the last one did, I think I'm going to post my build

like right here
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:54:07 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn

What Trash said... and keep in mind that u can even go the long way and make an explosion effect with that "light spreading" effect incorporated. So you dont need any coding stuf to make it happen :P

Make hte ewxplosion effect bigger..then it covers everything:D Works for me

Raven is a god.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
and just how exactly do you think this is to be done, and please don't say shaders.

Particles? :nervous:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
An explosion ani or image covering both ends of the beam?