Author Topic: US & broadband  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
... nah, we're just too cheap to go get broadband... and the big companies that control the access don't want to lower prices...  basically, $40/month is what you're stuck with if you have cable, and I believe $30/month for DSL.  Whereas dial-up is only $10-$15/month.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
... nah, we're just too cheap to go get broadband... and the big companies that control the access don't want to lower prices...  basically, $40/month is what you're stuck with if you have cable, and I believe $30/month for DSL.  Whereas dial-up is only $10-$15/month.

$40/month is still cheaper than most UK costs.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Availability is the problem for me, not cost. I'm in the gray area of the neighborhood that can't get any high speed connection.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

$40/month is still cheaper than most UK costs.

Theres plenty of Americans who still cant afford that.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'm about to head off to college, where I'll get high speed internet for cheap (included in tuition). There's no reason for me to buy broadband.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Try around $80 a month for ISDN 128k both ways - because it's the only thing that
will reach this "deadzone" between wireless providers, the end of the
DSL run 2 miles down the road, and poor sat reception.

To think, I'm looking forward to that over $25 17-21k AOL dailup...
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

some of this ISP lag is understandable because the USA has a much lower population density than other nations, but i do tend to a agree ISPs here could still do better

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
$44 a month for 6 Mb down, 512 Kb up.  I can't host servers, I can't use forum administration panels properly, it can take up to 5 minutes to sign up for a forum with the anti-bot images.  Every day during the evening my ping can be around 300+ on servers I usually get 80 on.

Oh, and my IP changes at random.

Thanks AT&T/TVSCable!
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Try www.speedguide.net 's TCP Optimizer, that will help a bit.  (Follow the instructions on the page, it links to test tools and sites to help you find the right settings.)  That's what I use, I get 600k/sec down, 300/sec up, but it takes nowheres near 5 minutes to sign up for anything.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Try www.speedguide.net 's TCP Optimizer, that will help a bit.  (Follow the instructions on the page, it links to test tools and sites to help you find the right settings.)  That's what I use, I get 600k/sec down, 300/sec up, but it takes nowheres near 5 minutes to sign up for anything.
Reason it takes so long to sign up for anything is the alternating IP.  It changes with every request I make.  **** ROUND ROBIN :(
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
some of this ISP lag is understandable because the USA has a much lower population density than other nations, but i do tend to a agree ISPs here could still do better

Part of it is the duopoly, that there is not much competition in most areas. Bascally the FCC is in the telco's and cable co's pockets.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Reason it takes so long to sign up for anything is the alternating IP.  It changes with every request I make.  **** ROUND ROBIN :(
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
Maybe that would help?  I don't know.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
Maybe that would help?  I don't know.
Tried that.  :p
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:12:45 am by Swantz »

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
..ya, what you saying??

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Somehow, I wrote the response within the quote, fixed now.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Try calling your ISP and asking them to assign you a static IP address.  That will work, if they will oblige.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Availability is the problem for me, not cost. I'm in the gray area of the neighborhood that can't get any high speed connection.

i agree with you.  i think the reason so many people don't have broadband is more a lack of access to it, rather than high cost.  for the average american, who spends $120/month on Cable television or satellite, $30/month for high-speed internet isn't that big an investment

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I got DSL for less than 56k. $15 a month.