Author Topic: Orion in Intro  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Originally posted by Zeronet:
Its the GTD LEGION! How many times do people need to be told.

And from what source do you draw this *ahem* obvious conclusion?

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor:
And from what source do you draw this *ahem* obvious conclusion?

Uhm because some [V] guy told us so once a long time ago on the VBB! SO THERE!  

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.
"Sword, meet evil! Evil, meet my sword!" - hmm wonder who said that
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
why exactly are we arguing over which ship got vaped by the good ole Lucy at which battle? all 5 or so Orions mentioned in FS1 are destroyed at one place or another.  And as for theres one orion in every system, thats bull.  It was clearly stated that a short stay in a system makes the locals happy, while a long stay brings dread.  This naturally implies that they do not exist in every system.  And if you'll remember correctly, FS1 was mostly cruiser based, destroyers were rare.

------------------
158th Banshee Squadron www.geocities.com/sgchicken  
Into the Night Campaign www.geocities.com/ltnarol

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
In regards to Kitsune's post:

Yes but, did the fighters have inter-system subspace drives yet?  NOOOOOO    So the Galatea wouldv'e still had to have been Deneb.

The inter-system drives were introduced later when Vasudan scientists discovered them in Altair(?).

[This message has been edited by adwight (edited 01-28-2002).]
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

I don't think it was specified what system the Galatea was in when you went to assist her.

It is specified. In 'Playing Judas' you are in Deneb at the Shivan depot near the so-en-so jump node (can't remember its name) scanning all who arrive. The Eva is one of them.

Either this mission debrief or the next mission 'Evanulist'(spelling is wrong) it says that the presence of the Lucifer and Eva in Deneb is not to be tolerated. You then go and destroy it.

The Galatea comes under heavy Shivan fire somewhere in system. You go and assist but the Lucifer arrives a few minutes after you and the Galatea is lost.

If the good admiral had any sense, he would have turned that ship around and try to run for friendlier skies or towards more help

No doubt Admiral Wolf(e?) would have, but the Galatea was disabled.

It was clearly stated that a short stay in a system makes the locals happy, while a long stay brings dread. This naturally implies that they do not exist in every system. And if you'll remember correctly,

True, but there could be more than one Orion per front line system.

------------------
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes.' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

[This message has been edited by Tar-Palantir (edited 02-03-2002).]
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
AdamP did say it was the GTD Legion, not the Galatea, but they were both in the same system fighting at the same time.  The Bastion was also in the system.  So there was at least 3 Orion class destroyers attempting to slow down the Shivans and prevent them from getting the Vasuda Prime.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
GTD Legion? That's the first time I have heard of the ship; is it mentioned anywhere in the FS campaign?

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 02-01-2002).]

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Haven't heard from it. Ayway, why all the FS2 cutscenes are so..you know? There are things that should not supposed to be there, beams fireing from a laser turret and Sathanas glowing like a christmas tree!  

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The FS2 intro is so non-canon I just use Disc 3 and skip it altogether. The glowing Saths were probably charging up their green subspace portal thingies.

------------------
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

You can't say that the intro is non-cannon. It has errors and inconsistancies but that is completely different from being non-cannon. User made campaigns, for instance, are non-cannon.

------------------
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes.' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Remembered the phrase I was looking for- there are so many discrepancies...

------------------