Author Topic: Can FS2SCP be ported to the 360? PS3?  (Read 10914 times)

Can FS2SCP be ported to the 360? PS3?
Is it possible to bring FS2 SCP over to the Xbox 360, using the Game Studio Express platform they released last year?
Game Studio Express FAQ

I'm guessing you can't sell the game, but maybe some deal could be reached to offer it as a free download on Xbox Live. That would be cool :)
The 360 has keyboard support, too, if that's necessary for FS2. (I personally don't use more than a few buttons when i play the game, so i figure the 360 gamepad  would work well enough)

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Can FS2SCP be ported to the 360? PS3?
It's an interesting idea but...benefits?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well, women would pour out of the sky and into your laps, even more so than they do already :)

Seriously, I guess the main benefit is to all the gamers out there. A lot more people would be able to enjoy this amazing project than if it just stays on the PC.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I know that someone here hates XBox, PS2,3 and stuff...be aware of them.

Well I can bring more AC fans here...ok.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Besides being able to play FS2 in the car? :P
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, women would pour out of the sky and into your laps, even more so than they do already :)
If by "women" you mean nerdy 13-year-old fanboys who can't wait for the next BSG episode, no thanks. ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
If by "women" you mean nerdy 13-year-old fanboys who can't wait for the next BSG episode, no thanks. ;)

:lol:

I think it's a bad idea, personally. It would be seen as trying to breath life back into a pretty much-dead genre, for one. Also, I think you'd need either Interplay's or Volition's (or both) permission to do something like that.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Besides being able to play FS2 in the car? :P

My laptop is much smaller than a 360, and cheaper too ($299). Yet it handles FS2 very well. (FRED, however, won't stop yelling at me.)
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
*demands specs*
 :nod:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
*demands specs*
 :nod:

$299 (with employee discount)
Refurbished IBM T30 Laptop
Pentium 4 2.20 Ghz
768 MB RAM
Dual 40 GB HDDs
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

With mediavps (but not adveffects) I get a near constant 60 fps, with occasional dips to ~40-50.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:21:20 am by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
FREDding while travelling...wow...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline CaptJosh

In any case, there aren't enough controls on the 360, or even the PS3, with all those buttons it has, to properly play FS2. It just won't work. This is like the discussions at Dynaverse.net about trying to, if we could get the source code for Starfleet Command Orion Pirates, put it on console game systems. It's not gonna happen, and for the same reasons as with FS2. Not enough controls.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

But both the 360 and PS3 support USB keyboard. On the PS2, Unreal Tournament 2003 supported mouse and keyboard. So if you really must have the 101 keys of the keyboard, it should be doable.

Personally I think you could do it on the gamepad controllers, just by ignoring the less used buttons of FS2. The 360 controller has two joysticks, 12 buttons, and 2 analog buttons (triggers). When I play FS2, I find that I only use about four buttons on medium difficulty. On the easiest setting, I can probably use my joystick and trigger alone.

Well, I know this whole idea was a shot in the dark, but I do hope someone in positions of power take it into consideration. There seems to be many very low budget games on Xbox Live that are very popular. Meanwhile, this project is AAA+ quality and has little recognition for it, which I think is a shame.

Offline neoterran

pointless discussion. It won't happen, because if we did do it, we'd have lawyers all over our ass
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
pointless discussion. It won't happen, because if we did do it, we'd have lawyers all over our ass

Correction: Whoever actually went and ported it might have "lawyers all over their ass."

Just shutting people down by saying "OMG LAWYERZ! I WIN!" isn't very nice. Give a good reason next time.

Offline neoterran

Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

I'm confused. Was there a lot of legal trouble involved in order to bring FS2 to the point it's at now? And if not, why would there be major new obstacles if it were ported to 360/PS3?

Furthermore, is it even remotely possible your team could get in contact with the Freespace license holders and actually make money off of this great project? I think I heard Derek Smart holds Freespace's license now. Maybe he could setup something with the Xbox Live folks, and give you guys a big cut of the moola.

It's bizarre that so many crummy arcade or old games sell for $5-10 on Xbox Live, while something this amazing is $0. o_O

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I think I heard Derek Smart holds Freespace's license now. Maybe he could setup something with the Xbox Live folks, and give you guys a big cut of the moola.

You have no idea how wrong you are.

1) Derek Smart does not hold the rights to Freespace, and he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in getting them.
2) Derek Smart hates us, apparently. He wouldn't let us cooperate with him anyway, as he'd probably consider this a fan-made mod of some sort and close it down.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CaptJosh

Furthermore, Derek Smart is an utter ****ing moron. You don't even want to know. Just ask anyone over at the Dynaverse.net boards about him.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Q: How much does XNA Game Studio Express cost? Is there a difference between Windows and Xbox 360 development?
A: Visual C# Express, the XNA Game Studio Express tools and runtime environment for Windows are all FREE. To develop, debug and/or play games on the Xbox 360, however, you must have an XNA Creators Club subscription purchased directly from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Two subscription options are available: $99 per year or $49 per four months.

Q: Do I need a hard drive to run XNA-based games on my Xbox 360 console?
A: Yes. The XNA Framework runtime environment for Xbox 360 requires that a physical hard drive be present on your Xbox 360 retail console.

Q: How can I share my Xbox 360 game built with XNA Game Studio Express with other Xbox 360 users?
A: To share your Xbox 360 game with friends, four requirements must be met:

* The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
    * The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
    * The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
    * The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

So, if someone wants to provide the appropriate Xbox 360 to one or more SCP developers, pay the fee so that we can actually port the game, and work out a distribution agreement with :v: so that the game data can legally be distributed over Xbox Live, then we might think about porting it.  And I say "might" because the audio, input, event and graphics subsystems will likely have to be rewritten in order for the game to work on the Xbox, and I highly doubt that any current dev will be willing to spend that much time and effort on something that will net them absolutely no $$$.