Author Topic: Freespace doesnt work anymore please help  (Read 2086 times)

Freespace doesnt work anymore please help
Hello

I'm another fan of freespace and have completed both freespace 1 and 2's main campaings several times. Its been a long while and i wanted to play the game again and omg, the game's mouse cursor instantly chrashes around 5-10 sec after i launch the pilot selecting menu. I can sometimes click on the campaign button etc and that menu opens but the game runs like 10-12 sec fereze, 2 sec run time or so and i couldnt get past the menus yet. I thought there might be somethign wrong with my computer and it showed some other symptoms so i got a new hdd for my new system as well and im using win 2k. ı didnt have any problems with freespace not even a slight bug with win 2k before in my old system (celeron 1700, radeon 9550) . Now im using a x2 4200+ with a leadtek geforce 6600 gt. (other than freespace, all teh other symptoms are gone with the new hdd and system) Please help me solve the problem, i installed the 1.2 patch, it still chrashes, i installed some different video drivers for my card, they didnt work as well ( leadtek's latest drievr and 91.47 forceware drivers both didnt work :(

Please help me enjoy the game again :)

Offline neoterran

Re: Freespace doesnt work anymore please help
wow, i hope you know about the SCP, you're going to have a big surprise ahead of you if you don't.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Try dowloading SCP 3.6.9 It runs off retail VPs (the warble, stu etc files) yet incorperates several other things to make it, pretty much, entirely different. I have no isea on specs but give it a shot; my retail FS2 was starting to spaz out because i messed with stuff but once i downloaded 3.6.9 it worked and looked better than ever.

If you have issues after that there are great, intelligent people on HLP who try to make sure everyone gets there share of the Latest FS2 stuff.

Look for the Source Code Project in the Main Forum (About a third of the way down)
SCP is the greatest cause of Inferiority Complexes in those that can't run it

Thanks i'll try to find and download this 3.6.9 thingie and install it (properly hopefully :P )

Do a search for Turey's Installer.  It should be around somewhere.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

That's the installer and you should definitely give it a try as FS2_Open is so much better than retail.

However I do suspect I know what is causing this bug. The problem is your dual core processor. If you call up the task manager, find the FS2.exe process and then change the processor affinity my bet is that the problem would go away.

But ignore that. Cause it's fixed in FS2_Open and that's better anyway. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yey it works now, thank you all so much :) Back to intense dogfights :)

Download some SCP-compatible campaigns, FS Port is an awesome one, so is Derelict, The Aeos Affair and Transcend.  That's all I've played thus far.  Once you get those, prepare to be amazed.  Choose the new gfx options, of course.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Maxium functions and the Adv Effects.... Thats what you can handle, I envy you

ahh we held teh 2nd shivan invasion :P whats next ?

Can u guys pls post a link to where i can find some good campaings as i looked at the forums a bit found some nice things however no links that are working :( Also i'd like to play fs1 again too and fs2 open launcher doesnt allow it i guess, where can i find a launcher to work my fs1 :) ? it doesnt work by it self like fs2 :(

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
For the motherload all-in-one online install: link in my siggy.  Thank Turey for that.  :D

i get fs2 to work using the fs2 open launcher 5.5a. I cant get fs1 to work with that program, and i dont have the bandwith to dl like 3gb data. Isnt there a program out there with a few mbs that can get fs1 to run ? Also most of the links on that campaing page doesnt work :( can someone pls put a direct dl link to a campaign? thanks

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The FS1 source code has not been released, hence, it has not been modified. The only way to play FS1 with the new graphics is to download the FSPort.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FSPort is a pretty big download... but I'm gonna see if there's a way around this.. hold tight, weathers

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically everyone is recommending that you play FS1 via the FS2 port. That's sensible in a way because FS1 Port looks a hell of a lot better than FS1 does.

However if bandwidth is a problem and you have the original Retail version of FS1 installed I'm more than happy to talk you through how to get that working.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]