Author Topic: RTS (WIP): S. E. Y. C.  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
RTS (WIP): S. E. Y. C.
Yes, this is a WIP RTS. In other words, I'm making it, and I just yesterday. Right now I am programming it as a space shooter rather than an RTS, but once I get all of the collision stuff, unit actions, etc. working, I will change the camera system and make RTS controls.

No releases yet.

As I do more work, I will remove these screenshots and put up more recent ones. These were taken in a maximized window on a 1280x1024 monitor. In 640x480 mode, level 1 is too thin.

Screenshots (3 out of 10 different levels of retro-ness, the last 6 of which have been removed because they are ridiculous):

Crisp (1):

Doubled (2):

Fatty (10):

Legend (2):

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 09:42:14 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: RTS (WIP): S. E. Y. C.
Reminds me of Darwinia...but I can't really tell what's going on in those shots...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Added a thing with stuff explaining what the stuff is.

:nervous:

Edit: and a video, if it works.

The framerate is not so great, I will attack this problem tomorrow by searching for places I can optimize and by cutting some edges out of the fighters model.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:49:13 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Do something to cull the edges that shouldn't be seen and then do nothing else for the graphics. Retro-ness, FTW! :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Cull out back polygons, make projectiles the color of the firing ship so it's identifiable more easily.

Maybe toss in some homeworld type trails on the ships and possibly a slight bloom effect.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Very sweet :)

Oh well, that's another idea* of mine that someone else is doing... :)

*not the RTS bit.  I always wanted to muck about with something really retro-looking, though

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
A space-shooter RTS in the style of DEFCON. Awesome.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Thanks. I added a battleship model (looks kinda like a fighter, but it will have turrets eventually), and changed the weapons so they are faster, they have better collision detection, and they look different. I also added AI for all of the fighters, although they currently just engage (fly towards) whatever ship is closest and there are no hit points. Their shooting is random.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Looks cool so far. Needs a starfield.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Haha, now that I see that in motion, that's pretty wicked :)
Although I recommend shading the polies or something - just something to let the player know where a hard surface is?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Haha, now that I see that in motion, that's pretty wicked :)
Although I recommend shading the polies or something - just something to let the player know where a hard surface is?

Flash on hit?

A space-shooter RTS in the style of DEFCON. Awesome.

I don't suppose anyone remembers (name IIRC) Red Alert one of, oooh, 2 semi decent games on the Virtual Boy?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
For all of you who wondered what happened to this,

IT  DIED*  !   

However, I still wanted to make an RTS, so what I decided to do was to remake AotFS4, an earlier space combat RTS I made with spherical maps and not-too-complicated gameplay.

It is currently on Game Warden here. Screenshots (though somewhat outdated) and a RAR-compressed demo download are included.

Edit: Suggestions are welcomed, just keep them reasonable. This means no saying "you should do it on a cube instead" or "you need to have missiles and beams and flak and shields and intra-system jumping and cities floating in space with giant glass domes to keep the air in," and preferably nothing that would mean a complete overhaul of the code. A TODO list may or may not be in the works.

*But I am still making an RTS here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:54:18 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
Tested it repeatedly (as you know) and it's simple yet very addicting. I look forward to the next build.
MechaSentient
Sometimes, people change.
Sometimes, they upgrade.
(Online webcomic - updates M/W/F)

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
Alright... feedback from the installation build:

-Capship Vs Fighter damage seems a bit excessive now. Whole squadrons are getting wiped out in seconds.
-Installations cause ships to spawn on top of each other. This wouldn't be a problem except:
-Ships layered over each other use the same bounding box to take hits. I lost eight battleships at once to a red fighter fleet, because they were all sharing the same space.
-The installation graphic does wrap a little oddly on the planetary sphere, but it doesn't seem to present any real problem.
--Perhaps make the sphere larger, while keeping fighter/ship/installation visuals the same?
-Fighter intertia/deceleration seems a bit high(/low?). I know they should have mass, and that's fine - a nice touch - but they shouldn't fly halfway across the world after making a pass before going back to their target... at least, that's my opinion. Lower their top speed if you like, but they should be able to decelerate (and turn?) a bit quicker than what they do now.

That's about all I noticed. Overall, the station build is an excellent step up.
MechaSentient
Sometimes, they upgrade.

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
Gave it another run-through, and the damage ratios definitely seem "off" somehow.
-I sent a fleet of eight battleships into the Yellow system to wipe out two carriers, another battleship, and a [small] squadron of fighters. This should be overkill, but instead all eight of my battleships went from green to red to dead in a matter of seconds, at the hands of just that small fighter squad. A handful of enemy fighters should not be able to annihilate EIGHT battleships before they can get off the waygate.
-In a similar manner, I send two clouds of fighters swarming over a [single] battleship. and they get ripped apart. Two full ranks (128?) of my fighters, suffer more than 90% casualty against a single battleship.

One of these two should be balanced out a litttle more fairly, although I'll let decide which. Personally though, I'd rather see my capships be the same kind of juggernauts that the enemy's are.
MechaSentient
Sometimes, they upgrade.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The "Installation build" Kieve was referring to uses the same files as the build linked to on the game's site, but a different executable. To get it, download and uncompress the rar file, then download from here.

I have made a few minor changes but haven't released them. The installation now looks correct when on the edge of the map. However:

One thing about the installations is that, if i have installations, i was planning on having like 12 slots, each of which could be used to build/repair a capital ship, so they would have to be slow to construct, and therefore also kinda slow to destroy. What if instead of having them, everything is built in space (no shipyards, just build it where you see fit, but with some limitations like proximity to a planet (i'll have to add planets either way) and to other under-construction ships)? One way would have mainly a ship management focus, the other (with installation) would have more to do with building them and holding systems.

Opinions?

Offline Inquisitor

Sorry to hear it died. It looked like a great idea.
No signature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I was actually looking at stickying this topic when it first re-appeared, it bought back memories of playing Battlezone at the arcades when I was a kid :(

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Try not to get offended by this, this is just what I thought of when I read that:

"Excuse me, kind sir, can i buy some of my memories back from you?"

S. E. Y. C. in its original form is dead, but I am still making an RTS with the same title (or the same title with a modifier at the end). It's just... very different from the 3d thing. Perhaps I should modify the post where it says "IT DIED !" in big glowy red letters.

*Modifies that post*

Edit: I still need suggestions for unit production...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:57:31 pm by Aardwolf »