Author Topic: What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of corru  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of corru
I thought the games are great fun.  What do you guys think? :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of corru
Much of what I heard about them suggested shoddy work or general stupidity...but perhaps I'm wrong.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Re: What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of corru
One of the problems I have with it is the fact you can only have an Extremly small amount of anything, be it fighters, bombers, capships, at the same.  Normally, I wouldent ***** about it, but i the number of units you can have in is just too small at best.  Galatic Conquest is greatfun though.  And filling out my delusions of granduer, in Forces of Corrution, you can get the Excutor in Galatic conquset.  Any way, the Executor is so big in game, you cant see it all in the default camera mode :eek2: :eek:

Offline Dysko

When I downloaded the demo, I said it was a great game, but when I bought it I was quite displeased.
And I didn't buy FoC.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

It had it's moments.  Palpy opening up a can o' whoop ass, singlehandedly, on the Bothans was pretty cool.  Ultimately though, it felt entirely too limited - ie, if I've got a half dozen star destroyers in orbit, why can I only make 1 orbital strike every 5 minutes, and with tie bombers at that? 

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Or "Oh cool, my fleet of a dozen Star Destroyers, etc is complete. Time to go crush my opponent! Oh wait, I can only use 3 at a time in a battle situation? What's the point of ever having more than 3 Star Destroyers at any given time, save for 'defense'?"
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Re: What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of c
the original demo did not impress me.

why?  it was far too withheld and small in scope to be any fun.  besides, it was 2d space, and the ground combat was unispired at best.  the galactic map proved more annoying then anything...so really it just wasn't that enjoyable for me.  I wanted Homeworld with Star Destroyers and a Force Commander that didn't suck.

why is it so hard for Lucas Arts to develop a great star wars game?  with the exception of KOTOR  and Lego Star Wars and their sequels, most have them have been unexciting and a good number just garbage.  i miss back in the day with X-Wing and Jedi Knight.  How about a new X-wing game Lucas Arts!  as long as you don't screw it up we all promise to buy a copy, honest!
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Dysko

Re: What did you think of Star Wars: Empire at War and the Expansion Forces of c
as long as you don't screw it up we all promise to buy a copy, honest!
As long as it is not set in the New Trilogy, I'll buy it.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Heathen! Mayeth the Star Wars god hath mercy on your soul!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I thought all the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were great fun, but that's just me.

I enjoyed Forces of Corruption.  It has flaws, as pointed out previously, but overall I think it's pretty good.  Plus, seeing the SSD in a fight is just jaw-dropping.

My biggest complaints that have not been said thus far are as follows:  When the Executor is in system, it seems to have a bug with it where all of the enemy's ships have basically unlimited range and extremely rapid fire on all of their weapons, no matter who they're attacking.  I lost a Star Destroyer to a quartet of A-wing squadrons this way.  They'd start their attack run, and the moment they start, they'd be able to begin firing.  They would not stop firing until they pulled out of the attack run.  So I'd have a stream of lasers from an A-Wing, literally miles long, all hitting my Star Destroyer.  So I got to watch the shields melt away, and guess what the first hardpoint to fall was?  You guessed it, the shield generator.  So now I have a completely vulnrable ISD and four enemy A-wing with ultra-superpowered weapons.  The next battle I fought this way, I won, for no greater reason than because the SSD has about a billion hardpoints, but I think I lost 5 ISDs, 5 or 6 VSDs, Piett (with the emperor), Thrawn, and a few smaller ships, while the enemy had about 20 A-wings, 30 MCCv(I think? the long torpedo frigate things), and 2 Mon Calamari cruisers total.

Another thing I hated was the way corruption treated in-orbit assets.  For example, if I had a level 5 space station around Kuat, and Kuat was corrupted, the enemy could have a starviper squadron in orbit around Kuat with no battle.  Thinking it's only a single fighter squadron, I could easily beat it.  So I throw a single Victory Destroyer there.  Guess what, even though the planet is mine, the level 5 space station has become my enemy's.  Not wanting to lose my destroyer, I retreat.  Well, now there's no more space station around the planet.  There goes a ton of credits and a whole lot of time.

I do love the balance between the three forces, though.  I have such a hard time gaining ANY ground whatsoever, it's probably the best 3-way strategically balanced game I've played in a long time.  It can be frustrating sometimes, but I enjoy it.  You waste all your money removing corruption, or you end up rebuilding your facilities.  Then you have no cash left for your fleets.  If Zann's forces are able to land, you've pretty much lost the planet, but then, you can destroy the planet with your Death Star.  Although, that leads to less money.  Etc.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
I got EAW then i downloaded the conflict in space mod from filefront. It lets you build both deathstars and the executor and sovereign class super star destroyers. You can have two super star destroyers in a battle at a time in Galatic Conquest.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

I just played the demo and wasn't impressed in the slightest. Can't stand RTS's of the collect resources and build hordes of units. Starcraft was the only one I got through and just recently I tried to play Brood Wars and could bring myself to play past the 3rd level.

So I played no more.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

'Twas rubbish. The campaign game was alright, I guess, but paced too fast for it to feel right. The battles are completely uninspired and space combat looks incredibly drab.

hey BS403, can you have both deathstars in the same battle?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Not sure why you'd want both deathstars in the same battle. They're pretty worthless save for blowing up planets.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Except for DSII Cap-blowin laser :D

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
A bone to pick, isent Grand Admiral Thrawns ship suppost to be the Chimaera, not the Admonitor?
Also: :bump:

According to Wikipedia, Thrawn took the Chimaera as his command ship upon returning to the empire from the rim after the battle of Endor.  That would be well after the events in EaW.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Sheesh... Force Commander sucked goats so I had really high expectations for EAW.

I was disappointed, Bascily EAW was what FC SHOULD have been. Unfortunately LA is behind in the rts genre as if I wanted that type of gameplay feel it woudl have been 4-5 years ago.

Now I want something like Dawn of War completely modded to be a TC of Star Wars!!! Add in space battles and that would be awesome!

KOTOR II rocks (I missed I), and Battlefront of course.

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)