Author Topic: "Eternal Damage"  (Read 9129 times)

Offline Kaine

Yeah, but of all the ideas, mine has the best possibility of making sense, because the reasoning is based on a technology not developed yet, therefore the reality is unknown.  :p

wow this is getting ridiculous. gg any kind of credibility you had. next thread please!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It was meant as a joke... although I am aware that some people have a hard time processing those correctly..

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
why is it that you think this is real? ITS A GAME. A FREAKING GAEM. every single reason every person posted still makes no sense!

Then why the **** did you try to explain it yourself?  :wtf:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Kaine

It was meant as a joke... although I am aware that some people have a hard time processing those correctly..

you fail at joke  :rolleyes:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Hmmmm. sound in space. I always thought it was added because of the fact it was a game. Just imagine trying to sell a game like fs without sound. You wouldn't do it. It's added in the game to boost immersion and awareness and cool factor. Of course you can't have sound in a vacuum, but you can in a game ;7

Originally in space you can only hear the sounds that your ship produces, such as weapons firing, hum of your instruments, and **** colliding with your ship, but that's thinking realistically.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I believe there is sound in space.  In order to not have sound you would need a vacuum.  Space is NOT a vacuum so sound should travel.  Now can it travel so that anyone can here it?  No.   Could technology be developed to make it so it could be picked up or reproduced?  Who knows.  We know almost nothing about dark matter and even less about dark energy and both are abundant in space .  Could sound effect either of them in some way that could be picked up and converted back to normal sound?  Guess will have to wait for science to answer that one.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I believe there is sound in space.  In order to not have sound you would need a vacuum.  Space is NOT a vacuum so sound should travel.  Now can it travel so that anyone can here it?  No.   Could technology be developed to make it so it could be picked up or reproduced?  Who knows.  We know almost nothing about dark matter and even less about dark energy and both are abundant in space .  Could sound effect either of them in some way that could be picked up and converted back to normal sound?  Guess will have to wait for science to answer that one.

Um... Are you drunk/high/ignorant?

Space is a near-vacuum, for the most part. For sound to travel, the molecules that make up our environment (the atmosphere, the ocean) collide with each other, forming shockwaves from the impact. Our ears interpret the pressure waves as sound. I guess you could hear something if the escaping gases from an explosion impacted your fighter's hull or something, and you would definitely hear something if you collided with another ship, but that's it. IIRC, dark matter is simply the matter that we can't see that makes up a large part of the mass in our universe. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and dark matter is simply the matter that we can't observe for various reasons, but we know exists because of its gravitational influence. You're saying that sound could affect neutrinos and such, which is incorrect because neutrinos are passing through you right now. If shockwaves affected them you would have trillions of bullet-holes in you every second.

This whole discussion is moot because sound is almost never defined as anything other than shockwaves in a gas or liquid or solid.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Um... Are you drunk?

If you need to ask that question, It's obvious you don't know FUBAR very well.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Lollerskates. FUBAR, that's one of the best things I've heard all night. :D

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Um... Are you drunk?

If you need to ask that question, It's obvious you don't know FUBAR very well.

Ah. I haven't been here very long, you see.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
effed up beyond all recognition/reason
use Google, type
Code: [Select]
define:fubar(replace "fubar" with whatever you want defined)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

Um... Are you drunk/high/ignorant?

Space is a near-vacuum, for the most part. For sound to travel, the molecules that make up our environment (the atmosphere, the ocean) collide with each other, forming shockwaves from the impact. Our ears interpret the pressure waves as sound. I guess you could hear something if the escaping gases from an explosion impacted your fighter's hull or something, and you would definitely hear something if you collided with another ship, but that's it. IIRC, dark matter is simply the matter that we can't see that makes up a large part of the mass in our universe. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and dark matter is simply the matter that we can't observe for various reasons, but we know exists because of its gravitational influence. You're saying that sound could affect neutrinos and such, which is incorrect because neutrinos are passing through you right now. If shockwaves affected them you would have trillions of bullet-holes in you every second.

This whole discussion is moot because sound is almost never defined as anything other than shockwaves in a gas or liquid or solid.

Well first of all I did state that you would not be able to here it but it is generated.  Since all ships have mass and therefore a gravitational pull they should have some gas built up around the hull.  Again that gas may be almost non existent but is there.  Sound would effect this and therefore does travel.  Maybe only a fraction of an inch but it does travel.  Why couldn't sensors pick that up the minute distortions caused by the sound waves near the object that produced them and transfer it back into sound at a distance? 

Maybe dark matter isn't effected but what about dark energy?  We know nothing about it except that it should exist.  For all we know it could have all kinds of properties some of which we can't even begin to comprehend yet.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Except it doesn't travel. One molecule does not equal sound moving. It requires several million molecules to make even the tiniest peep.
Analogy? It's like touching a BB to the Empire State Building and trying to hear a sound from thirty miles away.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...Which you could probably do in about 300 years... ;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Except you couldn't - the laws of physics don't allow it. Eventually the sound energy would peter out and you couldn't pick it up anymore.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Right, but FUBAR was meaning using a sort of sensor; it would have to be an active one.  Is it possible to tell what two people are talking about in a room?  Yes, nowadays you use a laser to pick up the vibrations on the glass window.  300 years from now?  At least the sensitivity would increase, plus prolly the range as different frequencies and intensities of lasers were developed.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
not to mention this is in a world with taking fish people flying ships with pulse lasers fighting spider thins with 5 legs... >.>

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
That are aliens. Which are much more logical to have exist than having ships pump out billions of tons of atmospheric gas for the sole purpose of being able to hear sound in space.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
they use tons of non-atmospheric gas every hour just to make the lasers magenta. and then theres the issue of fuel....and life support.....

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
they use tons of non-atmospheric gas every hour just to make the lasers magenta. and then theres the issue of fuel....and life support.....

Wait, what?

You're saying that the LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS are doing this?