Author Topic: Ship names  (Read 9643 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Sometimes to make up names, I just take the first syllable of a word and 'graft' it on to the last of another word. Or I could just make lots of random letters, to. Shivan names have lots of 'v's and 'x's, while vasudan names have lots of 'y's or double 'o's or 'u's. You also must replace the letter 'f' with 'ph' and put a 'p' in front of 's's if it's the first letter.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Here we go. Got it hosted at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSFKP4AM alright this is kickass. It's my answering machine message. Listen away it's only 1mb.

Names being used for ships as far as they go for like the name of a person. Gtd eisenhower, maybe the gtd nixon, but certainly nothing like gtcv frodo, or gtfr bush. Something else could be the ntf saddam. Whatever sounds cool, sort of like my answering machine (my gf hates it to death).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
For Vasudan ships, it should sound at least vaguely Egyptian, or vaguely Vasudan. Keep the apostrophes to a minimum.

If in doubt, find a list of pharaohs somewhere and pick an obscure one like Djedefre or Anendjib.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well there are two kinds of Egyptian names: their civilization(I love it)lasted long so the language has changed.

There was a city called Memphis, we all know that, but it has another name(Men-nefer already used in SthCrs). All Vasudan names used by me come straight from Faraon(great game!).

Most Vasudan names I used could be considered strange, but they're still valid. Also:

Shawnbaka
Craigamun
Rajohnhotep
Horapollo <---it was my favourite E. name when I was a kid.
Montumery

These names exist, but I think you will laugh at me if I use them(Shawn,Craig,John,Apollo,Montgomery :D ).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Here we go. Got it hosted at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSFKP4AM alright this is kickass. It's my answering machine message. Listen away it's only 1mb.

Names being used for ships as far as they go for like the name of a person. Gtd eisenhower, maybe the gtd nixon, but certainly nothing like gtcv frodo, or gtfr bush. Something else could be the ntf saddam. Whatever sounds cool, sort of like my answering machine (my gf hates it to death).

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T BRING SADDAM INTO THIS!

Also, the Nixon might be a bad idea. The Eisenhower is good because Eisenhower is long-dead, and there's a ship named after him currently in service in the US Navy, which shows that, at least historically, the GTA followed traditional naming conventions (and possibly that the US took over Earth). Using Nixon or Bush might feel out-of-place because they're more current, whereas Eisenhower gives a sort of old-timey feel, perfect for a ship in the past.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I forgot SethGREGORshef, another Egyptian name.

AK: FS is in the future. Names like Bush or Nixon could be used.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
AK: FS is in the future. Names like Bush or Nixon could be used.
Yes, but do contemporary navies routinely name their ships after leaders from hundreds of years ago of countries that haven't existed for centuries? That'd be like the USN naming their next supercarrier hull after the 3rd Emperor of Persia. To mimic the idea in a more appropriate manner, perhaps one could come up with fictional names of Freespace heroes, famous Admirals or Political leaders from their time rather than ours.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's why we should simply use mythological names.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Sort of on the topic of ship names: the name Shaitan and Sathanas have the same etymological origin.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Yes, but do contemporary navies routinely name their ships after leaders from hundreds of years ago of countries that haven't existed for centuries? That'd be like the USN naming their next supercarrier hull after the 3rd Emperor of Persia. To mimic the idea in a more appropriate manner, perhaps one could come up with fictional names of Freespace heroes, famous Admirals or Political leaders from their time rather than ours.

Hey, naming a ship after past rulers has some canonical basis in FS. Need I point out:
- NTD Vasa (Yes, I know the Vasas are still around.)
- NTD Andronicus (several Byzantine emperors)
- GTD Aeneas
- GTCv Murakami (however, the ship could have been named for the city of the same name, rather than the emperor)
- GTC Agrippa
- NTC Gaozu (First emperor of the Tang dynasty)
- NTC Napoleon
- GTFr Sulla

;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:07:58 pm by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Dysko

Using Bush might feel out-of-place because he's more current
The US Navy is building a carrier named "USS George H. W. Bush", and the last carrier built is the "USS Ronald Reagan", so I think nobody will complain about naming a FS ship after a current president. I can already see the GTD Obama in a upcoming campaign.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
But when you create a campaign, you think about the future.

I might name Zichichi a science cruiser.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The US Navy is building a carrier named "USS George H. W. Bush", and the last carrier built is the "USS Ronald Reagan", so I think nobody will complain about naming a FS ship after a current president.

Especially if they get to blow it up......

I think the idea is that by 2300 (when Freespace takes place) we've stopped idolizing politicians and historical figures and ships are named after mythology or war heroes, not political supporters of the navy/military (CVN Ronald Reagan, SSBN George Washington, CVN George Bush, etc.).

Offline Dysko

SSBN George Washington
Isn't the USS Washington another nuclear-powered carrier? :confused:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think the idea is that by 2300 (when Freespace takes place) we've stopped idolizing politicians and historical figures and ships are named after mythology or war heroes, not political supporters of the navy/military (CVN Ronald Reagan, SSBN George Washington, CVN George Bush, etc.).

Hah, no chance.  What is more likely is that naming a ship after one nations hero would be too politcially uncomfortable for a unified earth goverment.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Strange...I agree with Aldo...

Damn this is a serious matter.

;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

"Other nations"? Everyone on FS seems like a white american male to me  :confused:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 05:31:38 pm by Mustang19 »

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I try to work in non-US/British ship and character names whenever I can, to counter my American sensibilities :p

e.g.

* GTCv Zhongshan, for instance (named for a ship from China's pre-WW2 attempts to modernise its military)
or
* GTM Ibn Sina (aka Avicenna; his medical texts were heavily relied upon prior to the development of modern medicine)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
The US Navy is building a carrier named "USS George H. W. Bush", and the last carrier built is the "USS Ronald Reagan", so I think nobody will complain about naming a FS ship after a current president. I can already see the GTD Obama in a upcoming campaign.

I know that. I was just trying to say that it might feel a bit out of place, especially that FS1/2 ships now are named almost exclusively from mythology. The Eisenhower was T/V War era. I know that that issue would be gone because they're in the future, and it might even contribute to the sci-fi feel, but I'm just saying that it might feel out of place.

"Other nations"? Everyone on FS seems like a white american male to me  :confused:

Yeah, and with more or less an American accent as well. Koth did have a relatively strange voice though...
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.