Author Topic: Another Freespace Rip-Off?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Another Freespace Rip-Off?
While browsing Fileplanet, came across this game:  http://www.genesisrisinggame.com/home.html
Looks like the same style game physics and what-not as Freespace.  Anyone Know anything about it?
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: Another Freespace Rip-Off?
Its a RTS, how can it be rip-off?

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
...that why i was asking if it was or not.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Well, IMO from looking at it, it has nothing to do with FS, so no.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
"ripping off" might actually be a good thing here, in the sense of bringing back this whole genre of games to the mainstream, instead of the niche it's stuck in . 

"ripping off" might actually be a good thing here, in the sense of bringing back this whole genre of games to the mainstream, instead of the niche it's stuck in . 

Yeah.. but that doesn't mean anything for a new FS game, because Interplay is the suck.

But, if it sci-fi flight sims do come back into the mainstream, it'll probably bring more people into the FS community, as FS is the "defining" series of the genre, just not for some serious kvlt Wing Commander fanbois. :P

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually FS2 was pretty much a rip-off itself. If you think about it, it added very little that was new to the genre at all.

What made FS2 so good was not that it was new but that it did everything other games had done but better.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Just sort of an aside, don't know if any of you guys have seen the new RTT Nexus?

looks really nice. Space battles and all that. no beamz though...sort of star trekkish looking. Still worth a look.

accurate thrusters and all...
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, when I first played FS1, my only real thoughts were, wow, this like the X-Wing games with better graphics!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Just sort of an aside, don't know if any of you guys have seen the new RTT Nexus?

looks really nice. Space battles and all that. no beamz though...sort of star trekkish looking. Still worth a look.

accurate thrusters and all...
RTT Nexus? Are you by any chance referring to Nexus the Jupiter Incident? In which case it did have beams too.