Author Topic: I am not amused  (Read 10472 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
or we will leave. we lose about 10% of the board every time some **** like this happens. and we never get it back.

10%?  That seems like a gross overstatement.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I oftine post in HL, it's probly were 80% of my time is spent. it's the main reason for me to hang out here and I don't like it getting demoted to 'unimportent random crap'

we used to be a comunity of over 5000 we probly aren't more than 300 now.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
or we will leave. we lose about 10% of the board every time some **** like this happens. and we never get it back.

I oftine post in HL, it's probly were 80% of my time is spent. it's the main reason for me to hang out here and I don't like it getting demoted to 'unimportent random crap'

we used to be a comunity of over 5000 we probly aren't more than 300 now.

The members page says about 3000 (an estimate minus the unposters; each full page w/30 people, 127 pages, took out 27 pages of unposters = 3000). I doubt very much that we lose 300 members every time this happens. Anyone isn't committed enough to Freespace to leave this site just because of this triviality shouldn't have been on here in the first place.

EDIT: :lol: unposter...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:22:24 pm by thesizzler »

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
There's only so much to talk about in relation to Freespace you know.  :p
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Thats why we have Hard Light.

Or whatever it's called now...

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
I just dread the lower activity levels in the GenDisc boards.  Used to get a good kick out of em.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we have 3000 registered users, out of which we probly only have 300 actual active members.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:14:20 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
we have 300 registered users, out of which we probly only have 300 actual active members.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=mlist;sort=realName;start=0

Last time I checked, 300 is just a bit less than 3800.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
last time I checked an active user was one of the 3800 registered users who posted regularly. which is about 300 from what I remember the last time statistics were posted about activity.

oh, i mis typed.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
My point remains valid.

10% is a huge over-estimation.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
We've never had more than the ~300 regular users......
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Communities like this die every day... maybe it's Hard Lights turn

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Never!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I think it euthanized itself.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No, but certain members are trying to make martyrs of themselves.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Derka Derka.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I doubt we "lose" that many, and we're always getting new members.  Honestly how often do you even post in the General Discussion that you're making the biggest deal out of this? :wtf: And threatening to leave is an awfully... well... egotistical* threat. Should the forums have been split? Probably not. Should post count have been disabled for the entire section? Not the entire, maybe just the padded cell. Should the section have been moved? Definitely.

*- IMO (as a disclaimer for Kalifireth)

You think that the newbies that come in every day can replace people like Mikhael? Every time the admin staff pull **** they feel like doing, screw what we think, that's when the good people leave. You wanna know why the HL forum was such ****? Because all the good posters walked out, that's why. And of course, when things go wrong, your natural impulse is to place all responsability and blame solely on our shoulders.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:47:45 am by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
So the division of one forum into three, and the reshuffling of the order, is enough to cause you to go?

I'm afraid there's one word that springs to mind for that. That word is "touchy".

Nothing has gone wrong here. No big disaster. If you don't like it then you're of course free to say so but to start saying "change it back or everyone good will walk" is nothing short of pathetic. It's a damn forum interface. Were it something like moderation styles or something that actually affected you then I could understand.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
You think that the newbies that come in every day can replace people like Mikhael?

What happened to him anyway?

Nothing has gone wrong here. No big disaster. If you don't like it then you're of course free to say so but to start saying "change it back or everyone good will walk" is nothing short of pathetic. It's a damn forum interface. Were it something like moderation styles or something that actually affected you then I could understand.

Probably true, but then again Taristan's arguement of "who cares if good posters walk, we've always got the newbs" is certainly not helping.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
I would not class a good percentage of the people threatening to walk out as part of the 'good people'. :wark:

Seriously, how silly and childish is that?