Author Topic: Gamepad or joystick  (Read 4491 times)

Hi all,

I haven`t done any pc gaming for a long long time, but I`m a big B5 fan and when I came across this project I just had to try it out.

I do not have a controller for my PC as yet, although I`m looking on ebay at the moment. Obviously this game cannot be played by mouse/keys, so what would be the best - a joystick or gamepad?

Thanks.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
its upto you.  some prefer joystick, some prefer gamepads.  Both are better than keys.  I personally have both but use my gamepad for tbp
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline Redrake

I don't have either. I'm using my keyboard since FS2 just first came into my hands (that would mean about 7 years ago). :) Not with mouse, however.

i used to play with my Interact Hammerhead FX while Windows hasn't gone XP....

it was amazing.  I actually bought the Pad with FS2 in mind (which I bought with TBP in mind).

However since there was no more driver, i left it somewhere in the dust and wasn't able to find it again after I moved.

now i have to play with keyboards and it sucks.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Prophet favours the joystick. The only true way to fly! 8)
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What make / model?

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Sidewinder Precision Pro... Suprisingly resilent to aging, dust, crap and ravage death defying flying. ;7

Though there are some signs of wear, it's not unexpected and suprisingly minor. And since AI usually is better at range than me, I have adopted a more daring tactic:
1. Manouver by the awsomeness and get close.
2. Fire/launch.
3. Enjoy the splatters on the cockpit.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, I have a Saitek X45... I love the fact that it has a billion configurable, programmable buttons, but the response is weird.  I have to use the mouse, as otherwise its impossible to shoot anything.  This is because, you can have the joystick pulled the right amount to have the enemy remain in your crosshairs, but when he switches direction, hauling that big joystick to the other way takes too much time.  I tried setting the sensitivity to max, but then it goes all over the place (Is too responsive, it overshoots).  :wtf:  My mouse is extremely precise, and I can nail just about anything, until they start pulling like !#$@, then, because I have to lift my mouse to keep pulling, I loose ground to them.  :mad:

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I remember when I updated my mobo and it lacked a suitable port for my joystick. Ofcourse I couldn't just stop playing Freespace. So I tried to play with keyboard. While I remember doing so in the early days of Freespace 1, I couldn't do it anymore. So I tried with mouse. And as you said, shrab shrab shrab when in dogfight. I just couldn't keep up.
Thankfully I found this handy addon piece from the bottom of the Sidewinder box that made it work in USB. And the kill count started rising again. :D

You could learn to just trash the stick around when making manouvers. First time I played with a real joystick (not the funny one I had with amiga) was at my brothers. The game was Need for Speed. I was having trouble because I didn't react fast enought with the stick. I did quite a lot of ramming. Nowdays I ace driving games with my trusty joystick (would use wheel, if had one).

Offline Remagoen

• A lowly gamer...
    • Rem's dA
I hate digging up old posts, but I hate starting similar ones all over again.

I have a force feedback stick that's huge and bulky and buried under a ton of boxes from when I moved. I like the stick, don't get me wrong, but I end up with a tired arm even after I turn the feedback off. I was thinking about getting something lighter (and cheeper) so I thought why not a gamepad. Are there any good, cheep, reliable pads out there anyone could recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Logitech Dual-Action has servered me well

and it's lite on the wallet :)

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
Well hip thats very similar to the one I use - Saitek rumble force 2500.  Like i said earlier I prefer the game pad, if its set up right it plays a dream.  I have a logitec 3d pro joystic which is also great but as far as handling goes i find it muh easier with the controller.  Its great to have all the buttons set to what you want so you dont have to touch the keyboard, but the actual movement is not as good as a controller. 

At the end of the day everyone will have their own opinion since were all different, so the best way is try all of them and see which one you prefer :)

*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline Remagoen

• A lowly gamer...
    • Rem's dA
Sweet!

I actually found the Logitech Dual-Action and the Rumblepack (which was cordless, on sale, and cheeper than the D-A) in target when I was price checking. I'll look online and see which of the two seems reviewed better, and get that one.

Thanks for the help, Hip!

As for the 3D Pro, that was in my price range too and found it at BestBuy, but I already have a stick. Thanks for the tip on that one though, MAG, and if mine ever breaks, I'll look for it again.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I want to mention: I am flying FULL KEYBOARD since WingCommander 1 came out.
Of course you can play these games without Gamepads or Joysticks, in fact I am preferring a keyboard for FlightSims  :)

Just depends on what you prefer!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I use a PS2 gamepad with a USB adapter to convert it for PC use!  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
yeah that's cool. PS2 (or PS3) Controllers are the best
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Remagoen

• A lowly gamer...
    • Rem's dA
I've actually only really preferred joysticks and an occational mouse/KB for any sims, from FS2 when I first had my original CDs to the MechWarrior line. Always felt more complete, but I hated having to use my whole arm to move the thing (mine was that big, and the force feedback didn't help...).

Hip, I just baught almost the same one as you (coreless version). May I ask how you mapped your power management buttons?

Logitech Dual-Action has servered me well

Do you use ministicks or buttons to control flight direction? I'm going to buy same controller soon, is it possible for you to upload somewhere keymappings?