Author Topic: Upgrading OpenGL  (Read 4026 times)

I downloaded WC Prologue. Right now, it doesn't support Direct3D, which I normally use to run FS2. I get an error message along the lines of "You have OpenGL 1.1, you need 1.2", and none of the ship models display. I'm flying in a black-and-white world, with just the grey HUD and no ships in sight, although I can target them and watch them explode. It's still kind of interesting, but I really want to update my OpenGL and check out this great mod.

I did an internet search for OpenGL but I couldn't find any "upgrades" for OpenGL. I also updated my graphics drivers- crappy Intel 815 series integrated card- which helped (now I can see ship models in FRED Open, FS2Open itself has always been fine), but didn't solve my Prologue issues. I have DirectX 9.0c, so it can't be a problem with that.

As you can tell, I don't know a whole lot about graphics hardware or software. How do you "upgrade" OpenGL?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
your video card is below the minimum required for fso.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

If your video card is good enough, you just have to update the drivers from the site (nvidia or ati).  If that still doesn't work, your video card simply doesn't meet the requirements.

What is your card?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
he said it was an Intel 815.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Oops, I missed that.  No dice then.

Offline Zantor

• Zantor Zenodex
    • My LiveJournal: A Zenodexan's Log
The only way I know of (since you have embedded video) is to buy a video card and put it in. Intel graphics has never been the best, pretty much adequate for non-gaming use. The video card you have is too old to support OpenGL 1.2, so a new video card is pretty much the only way to solve the problem.

If you buy a new video card, get with a friend who knows computer hardware well and can help you with this.
"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." --Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." --Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sphynx

On the other hand, you can still play in D3D. You just would have to launch in OpenGL when you want to see the videos.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
On that note, apparently being as OpenGL has little to no support under Vista (which we all know, despite it's flaws, WILL become the most used OS soon enough) are there any plans to upgrade the Direct3D support in the SCP?  Just wondering in general, I'm still an XP user, but being as I don't plan to go to linux or mac (both of which have their own SCP compatability issues) I'm sure that eventually I'll go to Vista.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Actually AFAIK as there are no DirectX coders in the SCP team the Direct3D will soon be removed totally.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
On that note, apparently being as OpenGL has little to no support under Vista (which we all know, despite it's flaws, WILL become the most used OS soon enough) are there any plans to upgrade the Direct3D support in the SCP?  Just wondering in general, I'm still an XP user, but being as I don't plan to go to linux or mac (both of which have their own SCP compatability issues) I'm sure that eventually I'll go to Vista.
Thats actually a misnomer.  Vista has essentially the same support as XP does...not quite actually because of how they have reworked the graphics sub systems and how drivers are managed and what goes to where.  XP and Vista and all of the other Windows versions have been absolutely horrible for OpenGL support...that hasn't slowed anyone down in the past.  The bit about Vista and OpenGL support is FUD (fear, uncertainty, and deception).  OpenGL simply needs to be properly implemented by the graphics drivers and all will be well.  As nVidia and ATI already do that in WinXP driver packages this isn't something new at all.  There's some new hoops to jump through but once the drivers mature enough OpenGL will be just fine.

Microsoft would be daft if they wanted to prevent OpenGL from working at all...because most of the professional software applications that render anything in 3D do it through OpenGL.  The Doom III/Quake IV engine is all in OpenGL so you'd undercut a major game engine.  There are various other applications and games that run or make calls to OpenGL.  Its not going anywhere at this point.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Try getting SciTech's GLDirect.  I'm in the progress of testing one of the later versions of it, if it works out for me I'll be sure to offer it to anyone who needs it due to lack of proper OpenGL support but plenty of D3D support.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays