Author Topic: Google Ads are back  (Read 11674 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
We've brought back Google banner ads on HLP. Donations have slacked off tremendously, and with the server jointly costing us and Game Warden upwards of $100/month, we need a different source of income.

Those of you who've been around for a bit may remember the slight fiasco which led to our previous Google banner ads being revoked - fraudulent & repetitive clicks on the ads in order to increase income. DON'T DO THIS - I cannot stress this enough. Don't go to ANY sort of special effort to click on ads. Just behave, pursue what genuinely interests you, and all should be well.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
So is it okay if I automatically ignore the ads and never click them?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Let's just say that that would be far preferable to over-clicking. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Well I just clicked on a LEGO ad....... and it genuinely interested me..... :P
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Is any revenue generated just by the ads being viewed?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Not that I know of, unfortunately.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, well I was just wondering whether those with ad-blockers could help by disabling them for this site; I guess not...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Of course it helps to disable ad-blockers... people who can't see the ads have NO chance of clicking on them. :p Besides, ad blockers were mainly needed back in the flashy banner ad days. With Google textual ads, I don't see the need for ad blockers anymore.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
True... Isn't there a way to set Google preferences, to let them be aware that this is mostly a Gaming / Sci-fi / action / adventure type of audience?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Perhaps. I'll look into it.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
What about those scrolling ads? You know, the ones that flash with all the bright colors? They are very annoying. Are you sure it's just google ads? Because I don't mind Google ads.

EDIT: Yup. 10/10 times I loaded the forum index, one of those scrolly imvu ads was there. I don't really think those are Google ads.

???

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I get both. Google ads and the IMVU ones.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
WTF? I just saw an ad for john mccain!!???!!??

What did you guys do? I thought all you got was google ads?

John McCain != google!!!

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
WTF? I just saw an ad for john mccain!!???!!??

What did you guys do? I thought all you got was google ads?

John McCain != google!!!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Good catch.  Actually, John McCain = Yahoo!.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The Google ads you are able to display on your content pages can be either cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-1000-impressions (CPM) ads, while AdSense for search results pages show exclusively CPC ads. This means that advertisers pay either when users click on ads, or when the advertiser's ad is shown on your site. You'll receive a portion of the amount paid for either activity on your website. Although we don't disclose the exact revenue share, our goal is to enable publishers to make as much or more than they could with other advertising networks.
Depends on ads apparently. So disabling those ad-blockers on hard-light.net AND game-warden.com DOES help.

Use of ad-blockers is stupid because you're hurting every site's financial income you visit. You mostly visit the sites you like to visit, don't you? Wouldn't it be in your interests to keep those sites running? Then stop using ad-blockers. HLP and GW are not exceptions in using ads to bring them much needed revenue to pay for the bills to keep the site running. If they don't get enough revenue from ads, admins/owners have to pay the bills from their own pockets until they decide enough is enough and the site is killed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:47:58 am by Fury »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You mostly visit the sites you like to visit, don't you?

Nope.  I search for interesting things all the time, and the last thing I want is ads all over the place.  If I decide I like the site, then I might disable the ad-blockers... it would certainly help if 99.99999% of ads weren't stupid.  The ones for eBay are OK, but the rest of them are :wtf: On TV, you see ads for things you might use/buy/be entertained with.  On the internet, alot of it seems to be different, less useful stuff.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nevertheless, even then you leech off the bandwidth they've paid for. The least you could do is not to block their ads (if any) and give something in return that way.

I've always regarded ad-blockers sort of overreacting. I've never needed any blockers to ignore ads.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, if just viewing them generates revenue, then I guess you're right... but I have no intention of checking any of them out unless they interest me.  (This doesn't make sense to me... the companies putting the ads out want to make money too, but I have almost never found an ad worth checking out [that was before I started using ad-blockers].)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Google has in the past year or so introduced graphical banner ads in addition to textual ads, which can be allowed or disallowed at the discretion of the AdSense account owner. In our case, since we're sharing a server with GameWarden that MatthewPapa is paying for (and since my AdSense account was disabled on account of invalid clicks), these ads are from MP's AdSense account, and however he chooses to define them is what we get.

Now personally, I'm fine with static or gently changing images as banner ads. It's the spasticly blinky flashy ones that I hate. So, if those start showing up, or if lots of people really hate any kind of graphical banners, let me know, and I'll work with MP to limit the ads to textual ads only.